Panic Buying in US

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/toilet-paper-options/amp/
Out of Toilet Paper? You Have Other Options. Just Don’t Flush Them!
Many towns and cities are already dealing with the aftermath of people flushing the wrong things. A video from a Novato, California, sewage treatment plant shows clogged machinery spraying water and wet wipes all over the flooded floor. In Redding, California, municipal workers investigated a backup and found shredded T-shirts clogging the sewer system.

tight funds.i make jack benny look like a big spender.
Hey jim, get a 3/8 inch diameter aluminum pipe, cut it at a 45 degree angle and make it sharp. Get a gallon jug, a hook and some string to hold the jug. Drill a 3/8 inch hole on a 45 degree angle into a large birch tree about 2 inches deep, stick the blunt end of the pipe into the hole, set a hook and hang the jug so that the birch water/sap can run into the jug or hang the jug with a string so that the sap runs into the jug. Absolutely fresh water for free, about a gallon per day/per tree and has a bit of sugary taste to it. Only lasts about 3-4 days tho, it can start to go bad after that. Filtered from any bugs, dust or leaves and the fridge, enjoy cold!! GP

For toilet paper, gather mullien leaves (Verbascum sp.), which grows all over the place in temperate North America and Europe.

See images below for identification:

images.jpeg

download.jpeg

images (2).jpeg

This plant is also excellent for lung ailments--relevent to COVID-19--so is an excellent herb to be aware of . . . especially as there's no vaccine and--as yet--no cure.

It is plentiful, as it's an invasive species in North America.

See below link for medicinal preparation:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12241986/

We use the flowers for a nice tea. About 6-7 budding or open flowers and hot water/honey... the leaves are as soft as a dogs ear and make good TP. After the tall stocks are dried out, we soak them in melted wax, kerosene or diesel and use them as emergency torches for signalling or fishing on the waterfront. GP

For toilet paper, gather mullien leaves (Verbascum sp.), which grows all over the place in temperate North America and Europe.

See images below for identification:

View attachment 10144
View attachment 10145
View attachment 10146

This plant is also excellent for lung ailments--relevent to COVID-19--so is an excellent herb to be aware of . . . especially as there's no vaccine and--as yet--no cure.

It is plentiful, as it's an invasive species in North America.

See below link for medicinal preparation:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12241986/
That's good to know Kevin. I've seen that plant growing around here. Usually in areas that have been disturbed by logging or construction. I never knew that it had any uses.

I don't need to buy anything for a while. I think I can pretty well make do with what I have around here. But I might buy some more wine if I get the chance. You can never have too much of that.
I have loads of wine but did add two 24 count cases of Michelob ultra to my Walmart pu order. Like Gaz I mostly got comfort food stuffs. We are covered on th email prepping but I don’t want to tap into any of that right now. Saving the reserves just in case things do get really bad.

Dammit I misread, I only got as far as "" I offered to sell my sister"" :) :) Rather Liberal of you :)
There was a time when I would have gladly sold my sister......
I've been called a lot of things over my life time, but never a "liberal". That's a first. Maybe Brent and Kevin are rubbing off on me.

That's good to know Kevin. I've seen that plant growing around here. Usually in areas that have been disturbed by logging or construction. I never knew that it had any uses.
Many uses.

Just don't confuse it with foxglove (Digitalis sp.), as the yellow strains of foxglove can grossly resemble mullien.

This misunderstanding is unlikely with people who really know plants, but--if you're a newbie--a misunderstand of the distinction between these two plants could be fatal.

Foxglove contains a powerful heart stimulant that can kill you . . . or leave you with permanant heart damage.

See below for pictures of the yellow strain of foxglove:

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

Ironically (despite my dire warnings), foxglove can be a life-saving drug for people with heart problems.

If you've ever heard of the drug Lanoxin--which is used in atrial fibrillation and/or congestive heart failure--it is the active substance in foxglove.

This might push some people toward using foxglove tea as a substitute for perscription meds, but this is very, very dangerous.

The concentration of digitalis in each leaf can be variable, so there's no telling how strong the tea might be.

So . . . don't go there unless you're an experienced herbalist and/or biochemist . . . in which case, this post is superfluous anyway.

Last edited:
Many uses.

Just don't confuse it with foxglove (Digitalis sp.), as the yellow strains of foxglove can grossly resemble mullien.

This misunderstanding is unlikely with people who really know plants, but--if you're a newbie--a misunderstand of the distinction between these two plants could be fatal.

Foxglove contains a powerful heart stimulant that can kill you . . . or leave you with permanant heart damage.

See below for pictures of the yellow strain of foxglove:

View attachment 10148

View attachment 10149
View attachment 10150

Ironically (despite my dire warnings), foxglove can be a life-saving drug for people with heart problems.

If you've ever heard of the drug Lanoxin--which is used in atrial fibrillation and/or congestive heart failure--it is the active substance in foxglove.

This might push some people toward using foxglove tea as a substitute for perscription meds, but this is very, very dangerous.

The concentration of digitalis in each leaf can be variable, so there's no telling how strong the tea might be.

So . . . don't go there unless you're an experienced herbalist and/or biochemist . . . in which case, this post is superfluous anyway.
Yeah, the mushrooms we picked as kids had variable amounts of stuff in them as well. Or so I’ve been told....

Latest posts

Back