Foxnews: Preppers, once mocked, say they were ready for coronavirus crisis

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy ground beef and I don't trust my wife to buy it either. Last time she bought some it tasted old. Most of the ground meat we buy is pork, which she uses for a lot of Chinese dishes. My favorite is eggplant, which is sliced in quarters and stir fried with some ground pork, garlic, and sweet and sour sauce. MMMMM my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I thaw out a venison roast and grind it fresh when I need ground red meat for burgers, chili, or spaghetti sauce. I mix it with olive oil to make burgers.

I make my burgers with ground venison and pork, we call them 2 critter burgers.

I tend to avoid most store bought proteins. I shoot a couple deer annually, I have a neighbor that raises a few steers and hogs (free range, no drugs). I get some beef and pork from him. If I dont know what's in it, or cant pronounce what's in it, I'm not inclined to eat it. Not to go down a rabbit hole, but I grind my own venison burger... I add about 15-20% bacon in the grinding process... BEST BURGER EVER!

There is a butcher shop about 50 yards away from my front door. They get their meat from nearby, butcher themselves and when we get ground, they will ask what type of meat, what % of beef or pork and then grind right in front of you. Only grinding with my old hand machine is fresher...but at about $9.00 per kilo, not the cheapest. GP

We have a real butcher shop not too far from here, but I don't go there very often. I might try to swing by there this afternoon and see what they've got (if they are still open).
I've been meaning to try to find some mutton to try with my coffee rub. The supermarket only has lamb.

All of you old times on this Forum know the story of me and my husband.

Dang, he has really stepped up during this time. He actually says he understands why I have always been a prepper and asked for the tools, generator, etc. He has really stocked us up on meds and food much more than I already had.

He is also using this time to change his drinking habits.

Of course, we will never be a typical married couple but it's nice to see that we can work together for the health and safety of our family. Maybe we can get through this and not have to constantly be in separate rooms.

I told him that the distancing wasn't hard for me because I always treat him as if he has a virus. He actually laughed.

Dang, he has really stepped up during this time. He actually says he understands why I have always been a prepper and asked for the tools, generator, etc. He has really stocked us up on meds and food much more than I already had.

Of course, we will never be a typical married couple but it's nice to see that we can work together for the health and safety of our family. Maybe we can get through this and not have to constantly be in separate rooms.

I told him that the distancing wasn't hard for me because I always treat him as if he has a virus. He actually laughed.

Robin sometimes life has a way of slapping you in the face from time to time to make you face what is truly important. Hang in there. Hoping this too shall pass.

Yes. I have Juglone and at one time I had 2 around each garden. The poison goes 100 ft from the tree drip line. I cut the trees but the roots are far reaching.

There are places on my property where basically I am sitting on a slab of rock. Extremely sandy with a very acidic soil. In those places I simply put in raised beds. Nothing fancy. Just native lumber from the local mill. I get about 5 years from it depending on how much it rains. Mine are about 6 inches deep. The first fall that we built them I simply saved all my newspapers and shredded, shredded that years oak/hickory leaves with mower, added some horse manure, coffee grinds and bought a load of mushroom compost. I layered all my materials in the boxes and let it rot all winter. I plant shallow rooted vegetables in them such as my greens, cabbage, lettuces, beans just whatever. I love my boxes now. They have been a wonderful success It eliminated my lack of soil problem and still allowed me to garden that sunny area. You may like to try it. I still garden traditionally in some areas but adding boxes made the areas not ideal now suitable for crops.

Last edited:
There are places on my property where basically I am sitting on a slab of rock. Extremely sandy with a very acidic soil. In those places I simply put in raised beds. Nothing fancy. Just native lumber from the local mill. I get about 5 years from it depending on how much it rains. Mine are about 6 inches deep. The firts fall that we built them I simply saved all my newspapers and shredded, shredded that years oak/hickory leaves with mower, added some horse manure, coffee grinds and bought a load of mushroom compost. I layered all my materials in the boxes and let it rot all winter. I plant shallow rooted vegetables in them such as my greens, cabbage, lettuces, beans just whatever. I love my boxes now. They have been a wonderful success It eliminated my lack of soil problem and still allowed me to garden that sunny area. You may like to try it. I still garden traditionally in some areas but adding boxes made the areas not ideal now suitable for crops.

I dig a hole in my garden and fill it with bagged soil, sand, banana peels, etc. I use my garden as a bowl and fill it in. Been doing this for 21 years and the clay soil is breaking down and is much better. Take out the night shade plants and corn and I can grow a good garden. I have 3 and I've learned what grows best in which garden.

I dig a hole in my garden and fill it with bagged soil, sand, banana peels, etc. I use my garden as a bowl and fill it in. Been doing this for 21 years and the clay soil is breaking down and is much better. Take out the night shade plants and corn and I can grow a good garden. I have 3 and I've learned what grows best in which garden.

Sometimes that is all you can do is keep ammending it.

My opinion only, don't start using your prepping supplies. The stores (in the US) are stocked and there is everything you could still need readily available. What I do suggest is use the opportunity to rotate your stored foods so you store the freshest to extent the life as long as possible.

Went to a local Food Lion yesterday to see if I can get a few odds and ends. Shelves fully stocked. Even had TP (which I didn't need). I picked up fresh bread and some fresh produce and anther case of bottled water (they had lots of different brands). Only thing I couldn't find was ground beef. They had plenty of other beef products, just no ground beef. Most likely, if I shop in the morning, they would have had it. OH, make sure to keep your tanks topped off. With the cheap gasoline prices, that may be the best deals you can find today.

I hear you! We are doing exactly that. Have not touched our supplies yet and won’t until food isn’t in stores.

the stores around here were depleted Walmart was almost wiped clean,but the smaller store down the road was still in good shape,,,I will still go shopping until supplies run out or it's no longer safe to go,,,,

Violence may become the new norm,,,,,,,,,,and I am not going to risk injury

Most people would have given up! You’ve stuck with it and made it into usable garden soil. You gotta feel good about that Robin!!

There are places on my property where basically I am sitting on a slab of rock. Extremely sandy with a very acidic soil. In those places I simply put in raised beds. Nothing fancy. Just native lumber from the local mill. I get about 5 years from it depending on how much it rains. Mine are about 6 inches deep. The first fall that we built them I simply saved all my newspapers and shredded, shredded that years oak/hickory leaves with mower, added some horse manure, coffee grinds and bought a load of mushroom compost. I layered all my materials in the boxes and let it rot all winter. I plant shallow rooted vegetables in them such as my greens, cabbage, lettuces, beans just whatever. I love my boxes now. They have been a wonderful success It eliminated my lack of soil problem and still allowed me to garden that sunny area. You may like to try it. I still garden traditionally in some areas but adding boxes made the areas not ideal now suitable for crops.

How I would love to spend a summer gardening and learning with you!

History has shown that really tough times can bring great outcomes. Praying this is one of those times.

We are also low on paper towels. I'm seeing edible garden plants disappearing. No ground beef here either.
No ground beef here. It was one of the first food items to disappear and hasn't come back like the others. I haven't seen any in several weeks. At least I have plenty of paper towels.

Latest posts

Back