This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard bars of soap, liquid soap, shampoo, dish soap, washingmachine detergent, 100 latex gloves, 4 bottles of disinfectant, Oats (Brent), spagetti, noodles, salt, baking powder, gulasch and soups, canned fruits, veggies, q-tips, TP, coffee, sugar cubes and canned meats. Another €200 in the pantry/cellar! GP
I just grabbed another box of gloves, some sanitizing cleaners, and clorox wipes. I needed them to clean my apartment after it flooded, but the leftovers are going to my prepping stash.

Purchased another box of gloves, we were running semi low. Ammo purchase arrived and now I am restocked. We are good on medical, food and sanitation supplies. I did decide to bite the bullet (financial bullet) and ordered the parts to complete my spare lower receiver. I have two complete uppers (223 Wylde and 7.62 x 39) but only one completed lower. I have been content to just swap them back and forth but decided to finish building the second lower. I had the stripped lower receiver but needed all the parts (stock, buffer tube assembly, drop in trigger, and assorted small parts) to complete it. Well about $400 later, I should have everything needed --- wanted. I could have saved some on the trigger but wanted a better trigger with a lower pull weight. Okay, I did spend more on upgrades but hopefully it will pay off with a better shooting experience. Now we will be ready to hunker down, if needed.

What is an ash cake? Dosent sound very appetizing
Learned from the Indians, they used indian potato roots, cattail pollen and samphire (for salty taste), dried the potato root, mashed or ground it into flour, mixed the pollen and samphire, added water or fat or lard to make a dough and baked it on a flat stone like tortillas, OR laid it on the hot ground in the ashes and brought some coals next to the dough to bake it through. The ashes are sterile and will add some flavor, some minerals and most of the ashes are brushed off after the bread/ashcakes are done. You can try this way of baking with any type of dough, even the Pillsbury Doughboy type in the little pop and bake paper cans. For those who do not want to try the ashcake approach, make any type of dough, roll it out into finger thick, foot long cigars and wrap it around a stick. Hold the stick over the fire/coals and turn the stick occasionally
till done... GP

Learned from the Indians, they used indian potato roots, cattail pollen and samphire (for salty taste), dried the potato root, mashed or ground it into flour, mixed the pollen and samphire, added water or fat or lard to make a dough and baked it on a flat stone like tortillas, OR laid it on the hot ground in the ashes and brought some coals next to the dough to bake it through. The ashes are sterile and will add some flavor, some minerals and most of the ashes are brushed off after the bread/ashcakes are done. You can try this way of baking with any type of dough, even the Pillsbury Doughboy type in the little pop and bake paper cans. For those who do not want to try the ashcake approach, make any type of dough, roll it out into finger thick, foot long cigars and wrap it around a stick. Hold the stick over the fire/coals and turn the stick occasionally
till done... GP
I’ve read about cooking on a hot rock in various articles. Sounds like my favorite option. Sure would miss my gas grill at home though!

Purchased another box of gloves, we were running semi low. Ammo purchase arrived and now I am restocked. We are good on medical, food and sanitation supplies. I did decide to bite the bullet (financial bullet) and ordered the parts to complete my spare lower receiver. I have two complete uppers (223 Wylde and 7.62 x 39) but only one completed lower. I have been content to just swap them back and forth but decided to finish building the second lower. I had the stripped lower receiver but needed all the parts (stock, buffer tube assembly, drop in trigger, and assorted small parts) to complete it. Well about $400 later, I should have everything needed --- wanted. I could have saved some on the trigger but wanted a better trigger with a lower pull weight. Okay, I did spend more on upgrades but hopefully it will pay off with a better shooting experience. Now we will be ready to hunker down, if needed.
I tried swapping a lower for a short while too. Ended up getting another as well.

I pulled out the camper to test the systems and load it up today. Looking forwards to relaxing for a week and visiting grandkids.

Kids and grand kids are always major fun. Remind the kids of the silly / embarrassing things they used to do and then load the grand kids up on sweets. Fun times.

Living in Washington State and unsure of the sneaky vote this Sunday.

Ordered:
(30) Magpul PMAG GEN M3 30-rnd mags (3 10-packs)
(8) Ruger BX-25 25-rnd mags (4 2-packs)

Better to have vs, have not's. Mav, have you seen the new method to connect the Ruger 10 round magazines. You can connect two of the small rotary mags to gather. LINK --

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTA1022MC

That will by-pass the high capacity issue and also reduce the profile on the 10/22.

I use a pour-over for camping. I've had one for ages, but I was shocked to learn that it is now one of the favorite methods of making coffee among coffee connoisseurs because you have complete control over the water temperature. You do need to use a filter, but I have used paper towels for filters. There is also a permanent mesh filter you can use.
iu
iu

Last edited:
I've been using a screen filter in my electric coffee maker for years now.but the percolator is mainly for power outages.i use to not like instant coffee. but bought some in 2008 or 2009 for a campout.it got better.been buying instant for campouts and outages ever since.

Better to have vs, have not's. Mav, have you seen the new method to connect the Ruger 10 round magazines. You can connect two of the small rotary mags to gather. LINK --

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HTA1022MC

That will by-pass the high capacity issue and also reduce the profile on the 10/22.

A neat little gizmo, I'm not going to be in the state long enough for magazine restrictions to affect me, I didn't need the magazine but more or less ordered them out of spite. In other words Fxxk you Washington.

Latest posts

Back