This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shopped on amazon and Walmart.com. Added a decent amount of freeze dried foods and a lot of toilet paper, shipped to the house. Today I’m going to physical stores and will get some cleaning supplies, bleach tabs, powered milk, sugar, flour and what ever else I see that looks useful. Nuts are a good idea and something I eat often allready.

The dealer got the tracks installed on my new side by side today, and they're going to deliver it tomorrow. I managed to get 2 more loads of hay in this week. We should have about 3 weeks worth of hay now. I'll haul a few more loads next week. My road is too icy to use my trailer so I can only haul a ton and a half on my truck.

Last edited:
I picked up 4 charcoal paint respirators today, and a couple boxes of disposable gloves. Not panicking here, just thought it wasn’t a bad idea.
I've been picking up a box here and there of such things whenever I stop at the medical supply or pharmacy. I probably have a lot more than I'll need but you never know.

I ordered 2 of the N95 scarfs that jonnte wrote about, should be here this weekend. I will write something about them and tell ya'll what I think. I'm also putting something new into my BOB and INCH bag. An aluminum tube, cut to 8 inches long and sharpened by cutting it at a 45 degree angle. Will be testing it to see how well it gives me water from the birch trees here. With the warmth of the last week, the sap will be flowing soon. With a stethoscope, you can hear the juices flowing in birches. They will transfer up to 70 liters of sap per day according to the local collectors. (15 gallons). GP

I've been picking up a box here and there of such things whenever I stop at the medical supply or pharmacy. I probably have a lot more than I'll need but you never know.
I try to mostly buy stuff I will use anyways. When I first started prepping I filled jars with oats, dry beans, pastas, rice, powerded milk and such. Not that these are bad things to have in an emergency, but most got dumped in the compost pile after several years. I rarely ever eat oats, only occasionally will I throw some into a loaf in the bread machine. Don’t know what I was thinking... I just bought a years worth of toilet paper, it won’t go to waste for sure, and the respirators and gloves will be used with work or woodworking. I just try to ask myself if I have another alternative use for most of my prepping supplies now. I don’t mind buying things ahead of when I will need them but like to try and cut out waste.

I ordered 2 of the N95 scarfs that jonnte wrote about, should be here this weekend. I will write something about them and tell ya'll what I think. I'm also putting something new into my BOB and INCH bag. An aluminum tube, cut to 8 inches long and sharpened by cutting it at a 45 degree angle. Will be testing it to see how well it gives me water from the birch trees here. With the warmth of the last week, the sap will be flowing soon. With a stethoscope, you can hear the juices flowing in birches. They will transfer up to 70 liters of sap per day according to the local collectors. (15 gallons). GP
once you get them pls tell us what you think..

I try to mostly buy stuff I will use anyways. When I first started prepping I filled jars with oats, dry beans, pastas, rice, powerded milk and such. Not that these are bad things to have in an emergency, but most got dumped in the compost pile after several years. I rarely ever eat oats, only occasionally will I throw some into a loaf in the bread machine. Don’t know what I was thinking... I just bought a years worth of toilet paper, it won’t go to waste for sure, and the respirators and gloves will be used with work or woodworking. I just try to ask myself if I have another alternative use for most of my prepping supplies now. I don’t mind buying things ahead of when I will need them but like to try and cut out waste.

We see Prepping as both Prudent and ECONOMIC good sense, We bulk buy many things like TP, Kitchen Roll, Bleach, Cleaning Products etc only once a year in bulk when they are on offer, that way we also inflation proof our supplies.

Last edited:
I rarely ever eat oats, only occasionally will I throw some into a loaf in the bread
Don't throw any oats away Brent! Before they even start to get old, put them into a grinder or in a grain mill, get them to powder form and use them as flour, add them to your pancake mix, stretch your eggs with a few spoonfuls and scramble them. Use the flour for making ash cakes, waffles, bread, pie crusts, flour tortillas, mix some cattail pollen or corn pollen with the oat flour and cornmeal and get some cool yellow bread/ cornbread. Take a small handfull, hold it in the river or lake water till the bubbles stop coming up, squeeze the water our, transfer the wet oatmeal to your dry hand, form it into balls on a treblehook and catch fish with it. Mix it with a bit of honey, a few nuts, some bread crumbs and feed the birds in winter with it..........live free, GP

once you get them pls tell us what you think..
They just came in, they were well packed in individual, closed and taped bags. The ones I bought are neutral black, since the wife doesn't wear camo and I like to hide in black/night. They are over 2 meters long (6ft 6in), have a small weight made of plastic on one end which helps hold it in place till you throw the other end around your neck. The other end has a larger plastic weight which keeps the whole material pretty much in place of a wind comes up. If is inside your jacket or coat, then that would make it even better. The material is fleece, very soft and flexible. No problems with adjusting it to your neck size or face length. They do not have the needed metal "nose Bridge" which you could form to really close the small gaps left and right from your nostrils, but, if you get too close to anybody, you could just hold the scarf closed for the needed time...they are so long that you can wrap them around your head twice. In a pinch, you could cut them into smaller pieces and make up to 5-6 masks from each scarf!!
All in all, happy so far and I can only test them if I get out tomorrow morning and see if they are also warm! live free, GP

Last edited:
Here are the scarfs with the packaging:
packed.JPG

my ugly mug with one scarf. I really am not as pretty as the picture!! GP
ME.JPG

had to go shopping once more, got some more bars of soap and plastic boxes to store stuff
Hard bars of soap, liquid soap, shampoo, dish soap, washingmachine detergent, 100 latex gloves, 4 bottles of disinfectant, Oats (Brent), spagetti, noodles, salt, baking powder, gulasch and soups, canned fruits, veggies, q-tips, TP, coffee, sugar cubes and canned meats. Another €200 in the pantry/cellar! GP

Don't throw any oats away Brent! Before they even start to get old, put them into a grinder or in a grain mill, get them to powder form and use them as flour, add them to your pancake mix, stretch your eggs with a few spoonfuls and scramble them. Use the flour for making ash cakes, waffles, bread, pie crusts, flour tortillas, mix some cattail pollen or corn pollen with the oat flour and cornmeal and get some cool yellow bread/ cornbread. Take a small handfull, hold it in the river or lake water till the bubbles stop coming up, squeeze the water our, transfer the wet oatmeal to your dry hand, form it into balls on a treblehook and catch fish with it. Mix it with a bit of honey, a few nuts, some bread crumbs and feed the birds in winter with it..........live free, GP
What is an ash cake? Dosent sound very appetizing

What is an ash cake? Dosent sound very appetizing
  • 3 TBSP Flour, any type will do
  • 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp water, more or less
  • 1/8 tsp Salt, optional
  • nuts, fruits or berries – optional
Directions:
  1. Combine your flour, baking powder, and salt together and slowly add your water. When the mixture is just beginning to stick together, add the nuts or berries if you desire. Continue adding water, small amounts at a time, until the mixture does not stick to your fingers, your mixture should not be too wet and runny, it should have a nice firm dough-like consistency.
    If you add too much water, add more flour into the mixture until the proper consistency is reached.
  2. Pat your dough ball into a patty, about ¼ inch thick.
  3. Place the dough carefully onto the hot ash (NOT the coals) for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Then carefully flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Remove your ash cake from the hot ashes very carefully, it is possible that it will fall apart.
  5. Once successfully removed from the hot ashes, dust off any excess ash and serve with butter, maple syrup, jam/jelly, or your choice of fruits or berries.
Yield: 1 Ash Cake

• 3 TBSP Flour, any type will do
  • 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp water, more or less
  • 1/8 tsp Salt, optional
  • nuts, fruits or berries – optional
Directions:
  1. Combine your flour, baking powder, and salt together and slowly add your water. When the mixture is just beginning to stick together, add the nuts or berries if you desire. Continue adding water, small amounts at a time, until the mixture does not stick to your fingers, your mixture should not be too wet and runny, it should have a nice firm dough-like consistency.
    If you add too much water, add more flour into the mixture until the proper consistency is reached.
  2. Pat your dough ball into a patty, about ¼ inch thick.
  3. Place the dough carefully onto the hot ash (NOT the coals) for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Then carefully flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Remove your ash cake from the hot ashes very carefully, it is possible that it will fall apart.
  5. Once successfully removed from the hot ashes, dust off any excess ash and serve with butter, maple syrup, jam/jelly, or your choice of fruits or berries.
Yield: 1 Ash Cake
Well, thanks for the info. Knowing where the name comes from now I still kind of feel unappetizing about it but if ever in a pinch in the woods it’s a way to make food I guess. Of course having baking powder and flour in the woods is kind of a stretch for me....

Some recipes call for wrapping it in lettuce or some other leafy vegetable, or even some other non-toxic leaf to keep the ash from directly contacting it. Then you just peel that off before eating it.

That does sound more appetizing to me. I'm not real keen on ashy food either, LOL.
How-To-Make-Ash-Cakes-5.jpg
I’m sure if your really hungry it would work but yeah, the leaf idea sounds pretty good.

Latest posts

Back