This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbit ear mites....I use olive oil and tea tree oil and it's done the trick.
Can't believe the 15K price on the Generac. We have a whole house Kohler (propane), bought 3 yrs ago, installed was 10K. Works very well.

I use mineral oil n teatree oil. It's working.

Generators have gone up in price about 25-40 %

My Buck rabbit has ear mites.
My one Doe had ear mites last year.
Rabbit ear mites....I use olive oil and tea tree oil
When Daddy was raising rabbits in Bristow, OK., he used to spray Lysol in his rabbits ears to keep them clean from mites. Maybe something to try for you all?
I put the framing for the concrete up, laid out a patchwork of old shamott bricks and am putting the rebar steel into a 10'X10' new "work terrace". Helena does not want me messing up her pretty
"not-work" terrace anymore with my welding, grinding and such "not important" work....
1714277882107.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I took Canadian Prepper's advise (go figure) Ordered more 5 gallon, 2 gallon, and 1 gallon mylar bags, and food grade buckets. I've got too much rice, beans, dried milk, powdered peanut butter, sugar, pasta, etc. that needs better storage. Have some in mylar bags, not enough.
Saw a video today, does that make us a target? From Govt or the Human Element.
Having a plan against the human element after their 5 days of preparedness is key.
Sorry to say, but defense is key.

Yesterday I spent time organizing and questioning myself if I have all necessary items for a long term grid down. The reason for grid down is that scenario is the one that will require the most prepping and readiness..

So I thought I would list some items here that others might not have thought of or gotten to yet. Simple things, but necessary. Even for those of us who have Solar. We've got solar, a whole house Generac, and 2 backup solar generators…but I’m taking no chances!

Food (and defense, but I’m not covering that aspect here) is the most important!!!

I originally started with this food calculator. Later I fined tuned it to our group’s likes and needs. But this calculator is very good.

1714998537893.png

Not really sure Long Term storage of over 1 or 2 years is necessary now. We are so close to our country breaking down. Personally I think it will be a Break UP…as in what we saw in the Soviet Union. States breaking off from the evil Fed and forming new alliances with other States.

Anywho…here are a few items you might want to consider for your kitchen.

* Manual Pasta Maker
* Coffee Grinder - manual
* Wheat Grinder - manual
* Corn Grinder - manual
* Corn Shucker (lots of different options for this one)

1715001686586.png

Personally, I’d get an older metal one. I think Gary has a good one!

For a more reasonable way to shuck corn, try this! A metal hand sheller that you can use a drill to move the corn cob around.

1715001893570.png

Take these things above seriously because beyond raising meat, these grains will be most inportant food to keep you alive!! It’s the calories gained vs calories burned to farm it. Calories grown vs Calories burned MUST be kept in the forefront!!

* Old style Coffee Pot w/ tons of filters
* Manual mixer
* Sturdy cast iron Tea Pot
* Cast Iron set
* Cast Iron hooks

1715002235952.png

1715002264486.png

Last edited:
CONTINUED…

1715002318778.png

These are the only manual ones I use.

1715002371092.png

I can hear you now thinking you have tons of lighters and matches. One is none theory here folks.

Garden Stuff…

* High Tunnel/s

* Greenhouse that you can heat in some manner

* A few of each of these: Rakes of different types, double handled Broad Fork,

* Gloves (you cannot have too many of these…kinda like socks). Plastics have a purpose, but leather must be included.

* Netting of different types to keep birds, squirrels, deer from eating YOUR FOOD.

* Row covers for all gardens. Late and early frost will take out your crops if you don’t cover them correctly.

I’ve given up on starting seeds in containers. If you are planting a large garden/s…which we will all be doing…the amount of plastic containers would be high. There are more than a few failures when replanting out of containers anyway.

This is what I am using now…

A Soil Blocker

1715003154001.png

And reusable metal Trays
1715003272122.png

I picked up a few sets of these trays as they will be needed for Succession Planting…which everyone must do to have enough food for groups or large families.

If you want to know more about Succession Planting, read this short, but thorough article.

https://www.epicgardening.com/succession-planting/

Last edited:
I got another few things for the BOB and also just to use anyway.
A small brass alcohol cooker, some AA batteries, a folding saw with spare blade and another magnesium firestarter in a massive size. (3 inches long and 15 mm thick-(over half an inch) and the striker also has multi-functions of several wrenches, wire stripper and a bottle opener
1715011400805.jpeg

CONTINUED…

View attachment 25073

These are the only manual ones I use.

View attachment 25074

I can hear you now thinking you have tons of lighters and matches. One is none theory here folks.

Garden Stuff…

* High Tunnel/s

* Greenhouse that you can heat in some manner

* A few of each of these: Rakes of different types, double handled Broad Fork,

* Gloves (you cannot have too many of these…kinda like socks). Plastics have a purpose, but leather must be included.

* Netting of different types to keep birds, squirrels, deer from eating YOUR FOOD.

* Row covers for all gardens. Late and early frost will take out your crops if you don’t cover them correctly.

I’ve given up on starting seeds in containers. If you are planting a large garden/s…which we will all be doing…the amount of plastic containers would be high. There are more than a few failures when replanting out of containers anyway.

This is what I am using now…

A Soil Blocker

View attachment 25075

And reusable metal Trays
View attachment 25076

I picked up a few sets of these trays as they will be needed for Succession Planting…which everyone must do to have enough food for groups or large families.

If you want to know more about Succession Planting, read this short, but thorough article.

https://www.epicgardening.com/succession-planting/
I'll be dieing quicker than I thought! 😿😿

I got another few things for the BOB and also just to use anyway.
A small brass alcohol cooker, some AA batteries, a folding saw with spare blade and another magnesium firestarter in a massive size. (3 inches long and 15 mm thick-(over half an inch) and the striker also has multi-functions of several wrenches, wire stripper and a bottle opener
View attachment 25077
You do need an Victorinox Spirit Multitool or an Swiss Army Knife 😉

Don’t say that! You don’t have to have all those things. Your family and my family lived through much worse.
Yes but I'm fighting an uphill battle here! Wife and kids are not into prepping and expect me to do it for them! LOL, I got a joke on them, my preps are mine! No, not really, I'll share with them as far as possible.

Yes but I'm fighting an uphill battle here! Wife and kids are not into prepping and expect me to do it for them! LOL, I got a joke on them, my preps are mine! No, not really, I'll share with them as far as possible.
My X used to say why do we have so much food? Until a week long Ice storm. Then I built it up to more.

Current wife after we had 2020, having to evacuate, is fully supportive, gotten in freeze drying and canning. Sometime she does more than me in prepping.

But that's ok, Simpleman...you're prepping for your family. That's what you're supposed to do.
Ditto. You work for them and fight for them--why not prep for them too...they will never know how much you really do until ----you are gone...do what you can till it is time to go home. Live free, Gary

Ignore what they say Simpleman. Make them prep. Make them help grow a garden. You understand what is necessary for survival in these coming hard times, they don’t.

Latest posts

Back