Considerations for Bug Out Locations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back a couple of decades ago land was selling in the area for around 3 thousand an acer . Now with people wanting to homestead moving into the area it goes for around 15 thousand a acre . So actually I am not sure how old that video is or if someone can buy in at 10,000 per acre . One thing for sure unless something occurs like World War Three it will be much higher in the near future . My son is looking to buy land in the area next week , when he returns from a work hitch . He was going to buy some at around 13,000 for three acre but it has now gone into sale pending . He called me a couple of days ago and he is now considering buying a acre for around 17,000 . -- His objective is to buy land , build a house and rent it out . He already has someone waiting to rent . --- Of interest perhaps to some , in the area is a licensed guy to sell water to put into holding tanks . He has a truck with a tank and fills off the grid houses that have water tanks , but no well or community system .

Land around BOL1 and BOL2 is around $2500-$3500 per acre with prime hunting areas costing the most.
When we were looking for land for BOL2 we had an opportunity to buy a working corn farm with structurally solid 2 story house and a half mile of riverfront for $2500 an acre in Pittsylvania County Virginia. It just wasn't as good a fit as the place we bought. We looked at several places in Pittsylvania County, all remote with riverfront, all less than $3500 an acre, but we liked the place we ended up buying better.
A 345 acre mostly wooded farm in Pittsylvania County is under contract right now for $1500 an acre. Pittsylvania County is about as deep red as it gets anywhere in the US, and has one of the lowest crime rates in the US.
https://www.landwatch.com/pittsylvania-county-virginia-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/417849200
Screenshot_20231126-071241_Brave.jpg

violent-crime-rate.jpeg

Last edited:
Land around BOL1 and BOL2 is around $2500-$3500 per acre with prime hunting areas costing the most.
When we were looking for land for BOL2 we had an opportunity to buy a working corn farm with structurally solid 2 story house and a half mile of riverfront for $2500 an acre in Pittsylvania County Virginia. It just wasn't as good a fit as the place we bought. We looked at several places in Pittsylvania County, all remote with riverfront, all less than $3500 an acre, but we liked the place we ended up buying better.
A 345 acre mostly wooded farm in Pittsylvania County is under contract right now for $1500 an acre. Pittsylvania County is about as deep red as it gets anywhere in the US, and has one of the lowest crime rates in the US.
https://www.landwatch.com/pittsylvania-county-virginia-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/417849200View attachment 22076

View attachment 22071
What is the climate like and topography? I am still researching a future "Tin Hat House" location.

I don't understand - Is the place 5 miles away a retreat you already have or a place you plan to purchase ?
We bought a place near a small town (9000) for retirement. Easier if it was either of us. (Or not having me). Have a 3 year plan to be there. This place takes both of us financially and physically, even though it is ideal.
Plenty of Bug out spots 5 miles away in the woods Land is 1500/A in the woods.

All you all have BOL 1 AND BOL 2? I'm doing good to work on improving my Bug In location...looking for a 2nd one but $10k an acre and up for highly advertised area pitching to "preppers" is a no for me. I get the concept...there is a market no doubt...but would be adamant no for me, just for those reasons.

2 cents

What is the climate like and topography? I am still researching a future "Tin Hat House" location.
Topography is ridges and hollows near the rivers and rolling hills away from the rivers. It is basically the foothills of the Appalachians.
What the following doesn't tell you is that summer nights are cool and dry (<70 and low humidity) and winter days are relatively mild (rarely has winter daytime highs below freezing)
Screenshot_20231126-220301_Brave.jpg

Topography is ridges and hollows near the rivers and rolling hills away from the rivers. It is basically the foothills of the Appalachians.
What the following doesn't tell you is that summer nights are cool and dry (<70 and low humidity) and winter days are relatively mild (rarely has winter daytime highs below freezing) View attachment 22087
Thank you Dr.Henley. This location is sounding very promising. I will start researching more specifics on this area.

Violent Crime statistics for Chatham, VA, another of the "larger" towns in Pittsylvania County (population, 1200)
violent-crime-rate.png

Demographics for Chatham

Race in Chatham

- 71.9% are white
- 15.1% are black
- 0.6% are asian
- 0.0% are native american
- 0.0% claim Other
- 7.5% claim Hispanic Ethnicity
- 5.0% Two or More Races
- 0.0% Hawaiian, Pacific Islander

Sounds like one great deal to me! Stay there in the winter!
Even though this property is a couple thousand feet lower in elevation, it still gets a fair amount of snow and blowing snow. Many times it's a lot colder down there than our place is too.

Top 12 Best Small Towns for Preppers to Live in - Modern Survival Online I suspect everyone on this forum would disagree with one or two of these selected prepper sites , but still it makes interesting reading .

I was a bit disappointed that they would suggest anywhere near the southern border. If SHTF, every cartel member and those of La Raza will be flowing in, I am still of the opinion, that west of the Mississippi is preferable due to population density, though less so than ten years ago.

1701119281285.png

1701119574651.png

Latest posts

Back