This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a prepper skill to be organized, so that is a good idea. I have a recipe box that is not for food but for making laundry soap, shower cleaner, etc.
I actually have 3 medium sized notebooks that I am using. One is for survival tips, one is for notes like how to grow or make things, and the last one I want to use for people’s call signs with authenticity code phrases.

Our rainwater harvesting setup is complete and working, we added more catchment surface for a total of 7800 square feet, counting the loss it should yield us 2875 gallons per 1" of rain, filter and transfer pumps are working and no leaks. We got it tied in to the house for toilets, showers and sinks, this should put less stress on the well and pumps. The transfer pumps are 24vdc 28gpm going from holding tank to holding tank, the 24v pumps are for future expansion for going solar, these are long life marine pumps. The creek will keep the holding tanks topped off between rains.

Our garden is about done for this year. The wife had a hen party with a couple of the neighbor lady's and canned tomatoes. The wife's take was 18 quarts of tomatoes and 6 quarts of hot salsa.
Construction on the house is coming along. The trusses, dormers, chimney and all the main beams are up, the front, side and rear decks are framed. Got the windows, doors, cabinets, appliances and granite countertops ordered. Still need to find a wood stove. The flooring and tile guy came out to measure the floors to submit a bid. Probably next week I'll order the redwood for the decking. Tomorrow the gravel trucks will start delivering rock to cover the areas that washed away during last Mays storm.
Yesterday I discovered that I have a leak somewhere in our water lines. I've got over a half mile of buried water lines so it's going to be a challenge to find out where the leak is.

Our garden is about done for this year. The wife had a hen party with a couple of the neighbor lady's and canned tomatoes. The wife's take was 18 quarts of tomatoes and 6 quarts of hot salsa.
Construction on the house is coming along. The trusses, dormers, chimney and all the main beams are up, the front, side and rear decks are framed. Got the windows, doors, cabinets, appliances and granite countertops ordered. Still need to find a wood stove. The flooring and tile guy came out to measure the floors to submit a bid. Probably next week I'll order the redwood for the decking. Tomorrow the gravel trucks will start delivering rock to cover the areas that washed away during last Mays storm.
Yesterday I discovered that I have a leak somewhere in our water lines. I've got over a half mile of buried water lines so it's going to be a challenge to find out where the leak is.
There are companies that can find leaks with an electronic detector. They work through concrete slabs so should be easy for a buried line.
Post pictures of the progress on the house!

Can you rent a locator?

Purchased 2 boxes of Etekcity CL30 4 Pack Portable LED Lanterns, these be going in each room of the house for backup. I purchased one a year ago to test it for battery drainage in storage for a year, no drainage after a year. They ain't is as well built as my Streamlight 44931 Siege's lanterns but for the house and being stationary they are fine and 8 of the Etekcity Cl30 for a little more than the price of one Streamlight Siege it was doable. The Etekcity will run 16.5 hours on 3AA energizers medium setting, on the low setting 7 days. On high 30L not very bright but makes it comfortable walking around in the living room 20x20' so it will be good for walking in the kitchen and diffidently in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

as we all prep in various ways,don't forget to take care of your teeth,had one of my molers kinda "explode" yesterday,ate a cookie and heard
a crunching noice..today had the dentist to operate what was left away,in one day there was already an infection,now on antibiotics,some
paine meds and a small fever and stiches..
bad teeth could cause alot of trouble in shtf..and my training weekend went to shits.

as we all prep in various ways,don't forget to take care of your teeth,had one of my molers kinda "explode" yesterday,ate a cookie and heard
a crunching noice..today had the dentist to operate what was left away,in one day there was already an infection,now on antibiotics,some
paine meds and a small fever and stiches..
bad teeth could cause alot of trouble in shtf..and my training weekend went to shits.
That was a long overdue one I finally got caught up with. Between the high costs and pain involved no one wants to go to the dentist. I was finally able to get the major work needed on three teeth done not too long ago. You are certainly right that a tooth infection can get serious quickly. Not only painful but lots of people died from the infections pre antiobiotics.

I’m not sure if this is really a prep, but I got my jeep back today. I had to find a mechanic that would work on a foreign jeep that isn’t in any books here in the US, and had to order parts from japan. Pain in the butt, but I have my bug out toy back. We went ahead and did a lot more than just replace the clutch since I plan to keep this for a long time. I trailered it home today but am looking forwards to taking it out tomorrow. Yeah!

Had a good day. Jeep ran great! Yeah.
I welded the gas tank and battery mounts I made to the camper and got them cleaned, primed and painted today! Even bolted the battery boxes down too. Feels good to make progress. Still need to connect the batteries together, and put in the solar connector with fuses and the charger/controller in a watertight box. It’s coming together anyways.
I also got the heat shields up for the wood burning stove. It is in a tiled area but is closer to the walls than I like so I’m over cautious about burning down the house! Hopefully it won’t be long before I can actually not need the AC for a while.

Brent, I don't know how big your inverter is, but Harbor Freight now has 2/0 (#00) AWG inverter cables that are rated at 225 amps (2700 watts @ 12 volts). If you run separate cables from each battery to the inverter, you can run 5 kW without any problem.. They used to only have 2 AWG cables. The pair I got seem to be very sturdy with large contact area.

Brent, I don't know how big your inverter is, but Harbor Freight now has 2/0 (#00) AWG inverter cables that are rated at 225 amps (2700 watts @ 12 volts). If you run separate cables from each battery to the inverter, you can run 5 kW without any problem.. They used to only have 2 AWG cables. The pair I got seem to be very sturdy with large contact area.
Darn, I was there Saturday and didn’t even look for that. I just ordered the 24” 2/0 battery cables to connect the batteries together from amazon. I’m planning to mount one more smaller box on the camper by the batteries. I will install the charger/controller in it, along with a 30amp fuse block, which will be connected to a twist lock plug for the solar panel. I’m not sure but thought the camper allready had an inverter in it. I will check that out soon. It would be nice to have at least one 110v outlet live when remote camping. We keep inverters on all the trucks, so I’ll probably just borrow one. I plan to replace all the lights inside with LED also to slow the energy drain.

We have lots of rolls of wire that the business has allready paid for, so I’m considering using some SO cord for the solar panels. They came with about a #10 stranded aluminum wire that looks like 20’ or so, but it looked kind of cheap to me.

I need to order a set of short heavy duty cables to connect my batteries. Right now I'm just using 18" automotive battery cables and counting on the battery hooked up directly to the inverter to handle the surges. What was the brand?

BTW, I have seen so much misinformation about cable ratings it is enough to drive you mad.

I now rely on this chart to get the straight dope:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

I need to order a set of short heavy duty cables to connect my batteries. Right now I'm just using 18" automotive battery cables and counting on the battery hooked up directly to the inverter to handle the surges. What was the brand?

BTW, I have seen so much misinformation about cable ratings it is enough to drive you mad.

I now rely on this chart to get the straight dope:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

Or, use the PDF, same thing that Doc posted but a hard copy instead of the link, though oddly it doesn't give current ratings for multi-core wires for 1/0 or larger.

Attachments

• WireSize.pdf
    609.5 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back