This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent, Sears has a DieHard Advanced Gold AGM marine/RV battery on sale right now. It's I think about a 92 amp hour battery, for 138 bucks. The Q&A says it's a 105 amp hour, but one of the reviewers said the battery says "92 amp hours". They both could be right because amp hour ratings are based on the time of discharge, and marine batteries use a different rating than car batteries.

It's an online only sale so you have to buy it online for in-store pickup. If we still had a Sears here I'd pick up one today...but the nearest Sears is north of Atlanta, and the cost of driving up there cancels out the savings for me. You might be close enough...

I couldn't find "AGM" in the description, but if you look at the picture of the battery, it says "Genuine AGM" under where it says "Advanced". This line of batteries are all AGM.

It does say "Exchange price" but the last time I bought a battery at Sears for an inverter (when we still HAD a Sears :( ) they waived the core charge when I told them what it was for.

Here is the battery:
https://www.sears.com/diehard-marin...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
prod_18856211212
I just got home from Gainesville with two of these. The parking lot of sears was about vacant, but the automotive end actually had some business going. I walked in and a guy greeted me instantly. We went straight to a computer and he pulled the battery up. I couldn’t get the sears site to work here at home, as it kept trying to direct me to the store in Athens, so when I told the guy about it, and showed him the online add he matched the price with no hesitation. He even let me slide on the core charge! Right after he rang me up he didn’t skip a beat, he got a cart, loaded up the two batteries and brought them out to my car. Not bad for a little less than 300.00. I’m actually going to look for a place to leave a comment about the service I got there. I wish I had walked around the store some more to see how the rest of it was. So, now I have two new batteries for the camper and a propane generator so I’m ready to go off for a three day test run with it. It is still so darn hot here that I will try in three weeks or so

Now make sure you have a charger/maintainer that will properly maintain a float charge for AGMs. I have had several "smart chargers" that had an IQ of 50 when it came to AGMs.
I haven’t read up on them yet but the guy at sears said they do best with the faster high amp charge. I have a spare charger that I haven’t opened yet and hope it was new enough to have the AGM setting on it.

I learned a little more on charging AGM batteries just now. The primary way to kill one is by not recharging it before it’s at 20%. The better chargers won’t let them get too hot during charging too, which isn’t very good on them.
Now I have to weld new mounting brackets on the camper tongue to hold the 2 batteries. The original rack was for one. I hope to have that done this week.
So, I just ordered a 100w solar system for the camper, complete with the charger/regulator and all the cables and mounting hardware. I’m not sure about the panel though as far as mounting it. I may just make a tiltable bracket and set it up on the ground. If I mount it on the camper then I have to park it in the sun at a good angle. On the other hand if it’s mounted then it charges while driving. Maybe a roof mount that’s easily removed? My main goal is to be able to camp off grid without utilities, yet still have comforts.

Last edited:
If you find a set up you prefer for the panels, lt me know. I'm wanting to mount a couple on the airstream, I'd appreciate any tips you come up with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRKA7O6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That link is the one I picked on amazon but there are many other kits to choose from as well as individual components. All I want to do is recharge the 2 batteries so 100w should be sufficient. If you get a larger panel you can run some electrical needs and charge batteries too. I will let you know what I think about this system when I get it and install. I guess this is a test run for a setup on the house.

For years I'd only buy Chraftsman tools from Sears. But now days many Craftsman tools are made in China. I think most, if not all, Craftsman power tools are made in China.
I do what I can to purchase made in the USA, so I buy used generally. I go to flea markets, etc. lots of good tools out there , better than new ones.

I do what I can to purchase made in the USA, so I buy used generally. I go to flea markets, etc. lots of good tools out there , better than new ones.
Trade days, which is basically a flea market, garage sales and even some pawn shops. It's a shame all these women who have garage sales that either lose a husband or go thru a divorce and tools are the first things to go. If they only realized how handy those things were. When dad passed, mom had hunny and I totally clear out the garage of everything, which we brought home so have backups basically. Then when mom needs something like a screw driver, she goes buys it and is now starting her own collection.

Trade days, which is basically a flea market, garage sales and even some pawn shops. It's a shame all these women who have garage sales that either lose a husband or go thru a divorce and tools are the first things to go. If they only realized how handy those things were. When dad passed, mom had hunny and I totally clear out the garage of everything, which we brought home so have backups basically. Then when mom needs something like a screw driver, she goes buys it and is now starting her own collection.
Good for Mom. One thing that bugs me is trying to find good work gloves. I am always buying stuff, got three good kerosene cans recently, the small ones made to fill kerosene lamps with. (tiny little spouts on them). I like to find this good old stuff, hang it in the garage and admire it.

The trusses and crane are scheduled for tomorrow. The floor guy is scheduled for Thursday to measure the floors for the hardwood and tile work. I need to hire a new excavator guy to finish the backfill of the house and shop. The guy I've been using is more interested in drinking beer than working on my job.

The trusses and crane are scheduled for tomorrow. The floor guy is scheduled for Thursday to measure the floors for the hardwood and tile work. I need to hire a new excavator guy to finish the backfill of the house and shop. The guy I've been using is more interested in drinking beer than working on my job.
It just seems like work ethics for some have flown out the window. I used to think it was the younger generation but even people my age have changed. Maybe seeing the younger getting away with it so figure I could too. Makes my job harder though cause I have to do a weeks worth done in 2 two days. I get so tired of my boss's second in command telling me oh I have so and so come in to do. . . me last week said 'Lets be honest here. . . ' Stop trying to blow smoke up my butt. I will be happy when my boss lady comes back home.

Just got word that the crane guy can't make it out tomorrow. Yes, the work ethic is terrible now days. I witnessed this when I first came back to work in the US. The company that I was working for at the time sent me to classes on how to manage American workers. I couldn't believe just how bad things have gotten here and how much everyone needs to be coddled and pampered. And it's only getting worse. Once our major construction projects are finished I'll do everything else around here myself.

I have an electrician that’s a good kid overall. Hell, he’s 21 and is on time every day. That’s allready at the top of the workforce now days. Anyways, he bought a car, a big tv and a thousand dollar I Phone. (Of course this is after I have repeatedly told him of my views against debt). Anyways, he wanted some more overtime. I had him come in and he got to pu and stack the firewood I was cutting. He lasted 2 hours. I would have given him 8 hrs at time and a half. Oh well.

Just got word that the crane guy can't make it out tomorrow. Yes, the work ethic is terrible now days. I witnessed this when I first came back to work in the US. The company that I was working for at the time sent me to classes on how to manage American workers. I couldn't believe just how bad things have gotten here and how much everyone needs to be coddled and pampered. And it's only getting worse. Once our major construction projects are finished I'll do everything else around here myself.
Oh, I could write a book here but won't. In essence, the new phrase is "life/work balance". In reality it means, more leisure, less work.

The final week of roof renovation. This has been a bigger project than anticipated. Partly due to my refusal to throw away any old materials and find a new use for them. All old wood tiles were processed for wood chip pathways in the garden and the other wood chopped for fire wood. Old gutters have been reshaped and painted instead of replacing. Only the old aluminium sheeting that the previous owner had placed over the original wood tiles will be scrapped but i will get good money for that. The yard was a complete mess but looks like i am finally getting things back to normal.

Latest posts

Back