This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
187056d4ce5c4bcbc2c1e6052802289a.jpg

It's moving day. 1°F outside and snow on the ground. Finally moving into our own house with more than enough room to garden...
Good luck.

Just finished building our Trauma /Blow Out Kit, this kit is in addition to our extensive F/A kit in Lisa's bag.

Here is the listed contents (the bag/content are very light) Everything listed here fits in the bag. Picture below content listing.

Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch (8" X 6" X 3.5")
NAR C-A-T Tourniquet Pouch
1) NAR C.A.T. Red Tip 7gen Tourniquet
2) NAR Hyfin Vent Chest Seal
1) Ever Ready First Aid Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing
1) QuikClot 25g
1) Celox RAPID Z-Folded Gauze
2) NAR 4.5" x 4.1" yrds S-Rolled Gauze 4.5" x 4.1" yrds
1) NAR 4.5" x 4.1 yards of 6-ply sterile Compressed Gauze
2) 4.5" x 4.1 yd Z-Pak Dressing
2) 6" x 6.75 Kerlix Sterile Super Sponge
1) 5" x 9" Medline Sterile ABD pads
1) 3" x 4.1 yrds Sterile rolled gauze
1) 5” x 9” Sterile Trauma Pad
1) 4” x 4” Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 2” x 2” Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 7" EMT/Trauma shears
2) Bear Claw Nitrile gloves
2) NPA 28 Fr
2) 2" x 10yrds Self Adhesive Non Woven Cohesive Bandage
1) 1" x 10 yrds 3M Nexcare cloth tape
1) Dynarex Triangular Bandage
1) 2” x 30” Duct Tape (Gorilla Tape)
1) Bic lighter
6) Alcohol wipes medium
6) Povidone Iodine Prep Pads medium

View attachment 5248
I was a surgical assistant, and emt. I really need to review my medical bag! I have the normal stuff, but really don't have any tools or sutures. I should be able to at least close a wound or tie off a bleeder. Hope we never have to resort to that at home, but being prepared for it if necessary makes sense.

I was a surgical assistant, and emt. I really need to review my medical bag! I have the normal stuff, but really don't have any tools or sutures. I should be able to at least close a wound or tie off a bleeder. Hope we never have to resort to that at home, but being prepared for it if necessary makes sense.

I put together the trauma kit primarily to use in normal peaceful times for localized emergencies such as storms/earthquakes etc... I do realize the trauma kit is almost worthless in a post-shtf without some form of medi-vac to a trauma center given that field kits just buys time or learn to use an amputation instrument set for the limbs (study the civil war battlefield surgical procedure) ain't pretty.

I do think first-aid follows water and food in the list of priorities ;) IMHO

Well, this thread is supposed to be about what we accomplish towards our prepping goals. I ended up accomplishing exactly squat yesterday. I had a list prepared for the daily stuff, but blew it off for lying in bed and watching sci fi movies all day. I don't recommend it often, but it was a pretty nice day. Guess I'm gonna pay for it today!

Well, the high today was in the low thirties, so I didn't get much done outside. I did get around to bottling some wine, and racked all of the wines. ( it's when you let the sediment from the fruit settle to the bottom of the containers, and then gently siphon off the wine into another container, leaving the bottom inch or so with all the solids. Each batch of wine usually gets racked three or four times before it is good and clear.). In all I bottled 5 gallons and racked 75 gallons. Needless to say, I'm not planting any more grapevines. About all else I've done is keep the house warm with the woodburning stove. I haven't had to run the heat at all today. We're supposed to be iced in tonight, so I'll probably keep it going all night.

My prep for this week involves the BOV (or Bug Out Vehicle).

Putting a new radio/CD/DVD player in the truck, and hooking it up to a new rear camera, as well as to an existing (though old school) flip-down LCD screen. (the player itself has a flip out and up screen, which is kind of cool, as looking in, just looks like a stereo, not a screen). To tell you how old it is, the screen was previously hooked up to a VCR (that's still there). I think I'll end up just taking that out and replacing with a PS-1 game system (when I switch to a bigger LCD screen). The wife can even watch a movie now while we drive, which is something she hated in rentals we had (where you can't see the screen while driving).

This new addition will allow me to play videos off of memory sticks, including saved how to videos, etc. Between the camera light and some rear fog lights I have, I can now see behind me even in a pitch dark field. (even while driving, not just reverse, if I choose to).

It's on other threads, but I've got a Ford F-350 Turbo-Diesel, with duallie wheels in the back. Have a cattle guard in front, cattle guard like tailgate, both gooseneck and bumper pull capability (including a multi-hitch, to tow just about anything). Has an air-brake system to keep you from feeling the mass of a towed trailer.

Secret compartment radar detector, auxiliary fuel tank (150 gallons) as well as standard front and rear tanks. CB radio, standable running boards (even handles by the doors), truck airhorn (which is fun). Lots of alternate lighting all over the truck (4 different switches for different lights, between front fog, rear fog, truck bed, and full running lights). I also have tow chains (and two tow hooks in front, two in back), and of course other gear actually in the truck (all behind and under the back bench seat). Of course my BOB is in the truck with me too.

Thing is a beast, but I love it, especially now that gas is decent.

Picked up some more OTC meds for my F/A box http://doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/my-recently-updated-kit.4724/.

Extra Strength Acetaminophen 500mg Caplets, 500-Count
Ibuprofen Tablets USP, 200mg, 500-Count
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg 600-Count
Aspirin uncoated (NSAID) 325mg, 1000-Count
Acid Reducer Ranitidine 150mg, 95-Count
Anti-Diarrheal Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg, 400-Count
Mucus Relief Chest Guaifenesin Expectorant 400mg 200-Count
Pepto-Bismol Chewables 90-Count
Oral Rehydration Salts (WHO Formula) ea pack 1-liter mix 10pks

Last edited:
I may of gotton a good prep to go with a oil lamp,a lil bit ago...a 16 inch x 16 inch mirror,for $5.67..gona try it out,in my bedroom when i get home.seeing how it has dark curtains...and i will get more of them,if this one works out..

That's a great reminder, I really want to shop for some good oil lamp holders that fit our decor but are also functional. Right now, we have a few mounted ones, but others are more of the typical variety. I love oil lamps because you can adjust the light level.

I may of gotton a good prep to go with a oil lamp,a lil bit ago...a 16 inch x 16 inch mirror,for $5.67..gona try it out,in my bedroom when i get home.seeing how it has dark curtains...and i will get more of them,if this one works out..

Hey Jim, if you can find a 8" or 10" stainless steel pan lid that's dome shape with a single screw handle in the middle at 2nd hand stores etc... they make a really good parabolic reflector of light, hospitals used something similar back in the day, it also reflects heat similar to infrared heaters ;)

Remove the screw and handle, polish inside the lid then mount it on the wall or backboard, they really work great :)

well.i tested out the mirror last night.and it works better then I thought it would..and i also ended up with a issue that finally happened.the power button went out on me when it comes to my pc..we no longer have wifi,on account the wifi router went out on us.so im now using my mom's pc ..now it's just a matter of waiting until next month to get a new one..

i figure that i at least, have enough oil lamps for now.seeing how i have enough for each room of the house.plus one oil lamp extra..but yet,im thinking of getting more of them.(eventually)..and i do plan on getting more mirrors tho..i figure,$5.67 for each one,(with tax)it's a win win situation..that means.$22.68 at the most,is what id pay for 4 more of them.

FYI; One thing to keep in mind, make sure you use kerosene or clear lamp oil and not paraffin oil sold in most box stores! True lamp oil contains NO paraffin both kerosene/Clear lamp oil don't mix with paraffin oil ...don't mix, if the oil lamp has used paraffin oil in them, you either need to change the wick or continue to use paraffin ;) I recommend to use kerosene or clear lamp oil only. If the wick has paraffin on it, it won't soak in the kerosene causing the lamp to burn dirty if at all besides, kerosene is cheaper than paraffin oil, the good thing about using kerosene you can also use aviation fuel such as (untreated) Jet-A both 1-k kerosene and Jet-A can use the same wick :) Also Jet-A is cheaper than 1-k.

The so-called paraffin oil is not an oil, it's liquid wax period and was never designed for oil lamps even though the box stores sell it as such ;)

I've always used lamp oil from wal-mart.I've used the red and blue before.but i got the clear the last 2 or 3 times.

FYI; One thing to keep in mind, make sure you use kerosene or clear lamp oil and not paraffin oil sold in most box stores! True lamp oil contains NO paraffin both kerosene/Clear lamp oil don't mix with paraffin oil ...don't mix, if the oil lamp has used paraffin oil in them, you either need to change the wick or continue to use paraffin ;) I recommend to use kerosene or clear lamp oil only. If the wick has paraffin on it, it won't soak in the kerosene causing the lamp to burn dirty if at all besides, kerosene is cheaper than paraffin oil, the good thing about using kerosene you can also use aviation fuel such as (untreated) Jet-A both 1-k kerosene and Jet-A can use the same wick :) Also Jet-A is cheaper than 1-k.

The so-called paraffin oil is not an oil, it's liquid wax period and was never designed for oil lamps even though the box stores sell it as such ;)

Very good, Maverick! In addition, for those who might be interested, there is an excellent series on Non-electric lighting by Ron Brown which I have on my Kindle reader. I have the first 5 books and can tell you it is an outstanding resource on alternative lighting and covers candles, olive oil lamps etc., kerosene lamps, lamp fuels, Coleman Lanterns (those are the names of the 5 books I have) and more. A must-have series for any prepper's library. Here's the link.....

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Electric-...&sr=1-1&keywords=non+electric+lighting+series

Latest posts

Back