This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a new grandpa today. My daughter gave birth to a new 7-1/2 pound baby boy this morning. Mother and baby are doing fine. Dad just got laid off at the mill last week, so things are going to be a little tight until he goes back to work this Spring.
Congrats! If I had known how much more fun the grandkids were I would have skipped the first round!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not as exciting as a new baby, but I went to the feed and seed store yesterday. Last year was the first year I had really planted potatoes, so I got two big bags of red ones for this season. Also got a lot of onions and bought seeds for corn, beans and peas. The onions kind of look like a birds nest in that bag, but they do smell really good. I am hoping to both can a lot and store a lot of potatoes in the root cellar. I never realized how hardy and easy potatoes were to grow.
By the way, the feed stores usually blow away the big box store prices.

Feed stores are way overlooked, many farmers, community gardens and sometimes home gardens give produce to feed stores for the picking, I have picked up produce to use for animal feeds/seeding for the garden and some I've eaten, the cost is next to nothing and sometimes free. Good point Brent!

Speaking of babies, the wife said she would like one (seriously she really wants a baby) and I say sweetheart, I will be 78yrs old in 18 years and you will be 62 and she said I know, you will have a driver by that time so I told her I wasn't planning on planting watermelons this year... she said huh?..... she never did get it, so I told the kids what I said and they all laughed and lisa had this perplexed look on her face and said whats so damn funny and I said sweetheart, all that sheepskins you have on the wall means shit now does it... so she hands me a bone, the kids laugh then I realized she put me in the dog house. So, I am in the dog house again today! and by the way, she still doesn't get it :)

Last edited:
got this flashlight this morning..it use's 9 AA batteries.2 light settings.and to me it don't weigh to much..only thing about it,im not sure about..is the power switch is on the back end of it.but that's only because im not use to that..
2016-03-03 002.JPG

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I don't think this has a lot to do with prepping, but we are getting a nice little snow tonight! Kind of hoping it's our last too, but am enjoying it as I look thru the window while staying warm by the wood fire.

I got six baby chicks yesterday, after 99% completing the chicken coop that will house them in a month or so when they're big enough to go outside. Right now they're in a metal pet carrier under a heat lamp in the bedroom. Wife LOVES their chirping.

Cool, congrats on the coop! I know it was a great feeling when we completed ours.

i made out like a bandit today.i had to go to.2 diff places after dropping mom at the beauty shop..then i stopped at the salvation army,where i located and bought a some what decent belt and a whirley-pop pop corn popper for use on the stove top..and it's in great shape.. i got both for $6.75..

2016-03-04 003.JPG 2016-03-04 004.JPG

Last edited:
Maps, routes, maps, routes and then some more maps and routes and fot the next two weeks some more maps and routes.

Well, I was going to till the outside garden and plant potatoes and onions. Do good intentions count? Everyone I work with is sick, so I volunteered to cover for 15 straight days. The flip side is I get 6 days off in a row starting Wednesday! That should give me time to finish some projects here, starting with the garden.

I transferred our County registration to the new locale with the County Extension office to get involved with the local 4h, and we took the ten year old to the County O-Rama where he participated in the sport fish identification, bait casting, firearm safety, and bb rifle shooting competitions. A lot of 4h families are homeschoolers and preppers.

I transferred our County registration to the new locale with the County Extension office to get involved with the local 4h, and we took the ten year old to the County O-Rama where he participated in the sport fish identification, bait casting, firearm safety, and bb rifle shooting competitions. A lot of 4h families are homeschoolers and preppers.

4H is a an excellent program, my kids and now Grand kids are involved with the 4H program and now that I am retired I have benefited even more from the kids/grand kids learning :)

For our first aid kits I never purchase the small medication packets for the FAKs instead I purchase bulk bottles and fill each bag labeled for the OTC meds and adding desiccants as shown below. So today I was re-supplying the FAK for our backpacks, these meds should cover most anything encountered if bugging out. For non OTC meds I pull the labels off the bottle and place in the larger bag that stores all the smaller pouches though prescribed pain meds should be kept in original container w/label in a non-shtf situation. I change the meds out every two years. Desiccants is very important when bagging meds like this especially for un-coated and gelatin coated meds ;)

20) Acetaminophen 500MG
20) Ibuprofen 200MG
20) *Ibuprofen 800MG
20) Diphenhydramine HCI 25MG
20) Aspirin uncoated (NSAID) 325MG
20) Ranitidine 150MG
20) Loperamide Hydrochloride 2MG
20) Guaifenesin 400MG
20) Dramamine 50MG
20) Pepto-Bismol Chewables
30) Penicillin 500MG

* non OTC
1.jpg
2.jpg

This explains the generic names on my labels.

1. Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) – Among the OTC anti-inflammatory medications, ibuprofen is probably the most versatile. Primarily indicated for pain and inflammation, it may also be used to relieve headaches, earaches, sore throats, sinus pain, stiff neck, muscle strains, menstrual cramps, arthritis including gout, and back pain. It is also effective at reducing fever and is generally safe for use in children. It is not advisable for most stomach-related pain, although may decrease the pain of kidney stones, kidney infections, and possibly bladder infections. The most common side effect is stomach irritation or heartburn. When combined with acetaminophen it is nearly as effective as codeine, tramadol, or hydrocodone in relieving more severe pain.

2. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) – Acetaminophen is the only OTC pain-reliever that is not an anti-inflammatory drug. It will not irritate the stomach like ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen. It is useful for the same conditions as ibuprofen, though effectiveness varies according to patient. As mentioned above, it may be combined with ibuprofen in full doses for more severe pain. Side effects are very few, though in high dose, especially when combined with alcohol, it can lead to liver failure. It is available in several pediatric dosages, both for pain relief and fever reduction.

3. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) – An inexpensive antihistamine, diphenhydramine is primarily used for drainage due to respiratory infections and nasal allergies, in both adults and children. It is also indicated for hives and itching, including itchy rashes such as poison ivy. Although not all patients become drowsy when using diphenhydramine, many do so, making this medication useful for insomnia as well. Some people find the drug relieves nausea or mild anxiety.

4. Loperamide (Imodium) – The most effective OTC medication for diarrhea is loperamide, which is available both as tablet form and liquid for children. It is often useful for relieving intestinal cramping.

5. Meclizine (Bonine, Dramamine) – This antiemetic drug is available both over the counter and by prescription. It relieves nausea, vomiting, motion sickness, and vertigo-like dizziness. For some patients it causes drowsiness, and therefore may be used as a sleep aid. It is related to medications for anxiety and may help with this as well.

6. Ranitidine (Zantac) – Although several medications are available OTC for the treatment of heartburn, ulcers, and other acid-reducing conditions, ranitidine is among the best-tolerated, is inexpensive, and is also useful for relieving hives. Doctors often advise an acid-reducing medication such as ranitidine for patients who experience stomach upset when taking ibuprofen, though this must be done with caution.

7. Mucinex DM (Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin) – This is great for the kind of colds that cause lots of coughing and chest congestion. Drink plenty of water with it.

8. Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate) – Soothe almost any kind of stomach discomfort (diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, nausea) by limiting digestive secretions and reducing inflammation.

For our first aid kits I never purchase the small medication packets for the FAKs instead I purchase bulk bottles and fill each bag labeled for the OTC meds and adding desiccants as shown below. So today I was re-supplying the FAK for our backpacks, these meds should cover most anything encountered if bugging out. For non OTC meds I pull the labels off the bottle and place in the larger bag that stores all the smaller pouches though prescribed pain meds should be kept in original container w/label in a non-shtf situation. I change the meds out every two years. Desiccants is very important when bagging meds like this especially for un-coated and gelatin coated meds ;)

20) Acetaminophen 500MG
20) Ibuprofen 200MG
20) *Ibuprofen 800MG
20) Diphenhydramine HCI 25MG
20) Aspirin uncoated (NSAID) 325MG
20) Ranitidine 150MG
20) Loperamide Hydrochloride 2MG
20) Guaifenesin 400MG
20) Dramamine 50MG
20) Pepto-Bismol Chewables
30) Penicillin 500MG

* non OTC
View attachment 5384View attachment 5385

This explains the generic names on my labels.

1. Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) – Among the OTC anti-inflammatory medications, ibuprofen is probably the most versatile. Primarily indicated for pain and inflammation, it may also be used to relieve headaches, earaches, sore throats, sinus pain, stiff neck, muscle strains, menstrual cramps, arthritis including gout, and back pain. It is also effective at reducing fever and is generally safe for use in children. It is not advisable for most stomach-related pain, although may decrease the pain of kidney stones, kidney infections, and possibly bladder infections. The most common side effect is stomach irritation or heartburn. When combined with acetaminophen it is nearly as effective as codeine, tramadol, or hydrocodone in relieving more severe pain.

2. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) – Acetaminophen is the only OTC pain-reliever that is not an anti-inflammatory drug. It will not irritate the stomach like ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen. It is useful for the same conditions as ibuprofen, though effectiveness varies according to patient. As mentioned above, it may be combined with ibuprofen in full doses for more severe pain. Side effects are very few, though in high dose, especially when combined with alcohol, it can lead to liver failure. It is available in several pediatric dosages, both for pain relief and fever reduction.

3. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) – An inexpensive antihistamine, diphenhydramine is primarily used for drainage due to respiratory infections and nasal allergies, in both adults and children. It is also indicated for hives and itching, including itchy rashes such as poison ivy. Although not all patients become drowsy when using diphenhydramine, many do so, making this medication useful for insomnia as well. Some people find the drug relieves nausea or mild anxiety.

4. Loperamide (Imodium) – The most effective OTC medication for diarrhea is loperamide, which is available both as tablet form and liquid for children. It is often useful for relieving intestinal cramping.

5. Meclizine (Bonine, Dramamine) – This antiemetic drug is available both over the counter and by prescription. It relieves nausea, vomiting, motion sickness, and vertigo-like dizziness. For some patients it causes drowsiness, and therefore may be used as a sleep aid. It is related to medications for anxiety and may help with this as well.

6. Ranitidine (Zantac) – Although several medications are available OTC for the treatment of heartburn, ulcers, and other acid-reducing conditions, ranitidine is among the best-tolerated, is inexpensive, and is also useful for relieving hives. Doctors often advise an acid-reducing medication such as ranitidine for patients who experience stomach upset when taking ibuprofen, though this must be done with caution.

7. Mucinex DM (Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin) – This is great for the kind of colds that cause lots of coughing and chest congestion. Drink plenty of water with it.

8. Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate) – Soothe almost any kind of stomach discomfort (diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, nausea) by limiting digestive secretions and reducing inflammation.
Wow, I only wish I was that organized! My medical bag is pretty well stocked, but it's just all thrown in the bag in a mess!

The two boys and I selected some 6' x 3' (I told them we were digging graves) sites in the yard of the new place, dug out a couple of feet of rocks and roots, churned up the ground, and replaced it with sifted topsoil from another site we were preparing to be the next hole, to make garden plots for my wife to plant vegetables in. I nailed 4" x 12"'s to 2" x 4"'s for frames, with rocks underneath, for her to stand on and be able to reach all of the vegetables without getting in there with them. There's a slope, so we raked an embankment of dirt at the end, backed up by rocks, with which we also ringed the rectangle on the outside.

Latest posts

Back