This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check my snow cammies;done
re-pack my BOB ;done

come 29th and I'll run to my local gun shop and it's another 300 rds for my mosin.

Well, prepping has slowed for me with starting a buisness again. I have managed to get close to 1/2 the greenhouse planted, and am even keeping it watered once a week! Hopefully around spring time I'll have loads of carrots, and in the mean time have spinache, beets, and radishes to eat fresh. I am using the woodburning stove I set up on the porch a lot now. We hardly turn on the heat at all anymore, yeah! Not to mention keeping the mess out of the main house is great. I did accomplish something important today though, I did my income taxes today. With buying all the stuff to start the business I lowered my income enough to get just about everything back. I used turbotax, and even with the business stuff, it was pretty easy, and all in the comfort of my own home. I don't think I could have found an accountant to do the job nearly as cheap as the 130.00 I spent. I think I'm the poster child for them now! It's free without the buisness part by the way, both to file state and federal now. Also, income tax return fraud is one of the fastest growing crimes now. File early to help prevent it!

Brought the Mosin home yesterday. It's a 1943 war machine. Numbers matching with strong rifleing and just the right amount of patina.
It looks even better than it did on the pictures I saw.
uploadfromtaptalk1453247932871.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453247939623.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453247943120.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453247947174.jpg

Bought more food... plan on doing that every week until the end of the year.

Yep. More food. We just this minute placed an order through Augason Farms on some long-term storage stuff. Nothing fancy, just some 7 gallon buckets... one each of: apple slices, potato dices, corn meal, pancake mix, vegetable soup base, and milk powder...as well as a few packs of orange drink mix and a 30-day meal bucket (to travel with). Hated to spend the money but caught a 30% off sale so saved a couple of hundred bucks. This will augment what we already have stored very nicely. Certainly will fill in some gaps in our varieties. In case any of you won the lottery,we're accepting donations! :D

Last edited:
Yep. More food. We just this minute placed an order through Augason Farms on some long-term storage stuff. Nothing fancy, just some 7 gallon buckets... one each of: apple slices, potato dices, corn meal, pancake mix, vegetable soup base, and milk power...as well as a few packs of orange drink mix and a 30-day meal bucket (to travel with). Hated to spend the money but caught a 30% off sale so saved a couple of hundred bucks. This will augment what we already have stored very nicely. Certainly will fill in some gaps in our varieties. In case any of you won the lottery,we're accepting donations! :D
I'm looking forwards to the growing season again! I still have a decent amount of food in the pantry, but there are some bare spots now, and two or three more months of cold weather. I do supplement with canned goods, espechially like canned chicken or ham when on sale, but try to preserve as much as I am able each season. It's not just about prepping either. Last night I had peas with dinner, and after seven months in a mason jar they still tasted so much better than store bought. The canned tomatoes are so much richer in flavor as well.

We're in the middle of a big snow storm in Kentucky, so I've just been watching YouTube videos all day and making lists of what I have/what I need and shopping deals on shelf stable foods and medical supplies.

We have a lot of oatmeal, lentils, and rice in storage, that's what I've taken away from my inventory today. A lot. So we'll be eating more of that to rotate it out, starting with some oatmeal cookies tomorrow. I remember buying a ton of oats when I was on an oatmeal kick, eating it for breakfast every day for a while. Then I slowly got bored with oatmeal. Gotta diversify my breakfast foods a little, I'm thinking of stocking up on those powdered breakfast shakes, which last a long time and don't taste too awful, sort of like hot chocolate if you drink it warm. I have a nice bulk shopping list now for the next trip to Sam's Club and Tractor Supply, once we tunnel ourselves out of this snow.

I also ordered a utility pouch for my trauma kit, which has been in a plastic bag in my EDC backpack forever and really needed its own pouch.

I've also wanted to try brewing beer, let us know how it goes!

I've been passing that brewing kit at my local family owned groceries store for months now. Pricetag says 54.99 but it sat on the clearance rack. I took two of em home for 25 bucks. I always wanted to start brewing....
View attachment 5161View attachment 5162
I bought a mr. Beer kit from Walmart years ago, and was my first attempt at brewing. I made one or two batches of it, and was good tasting, but it has stuff floating in it that somehow disturbed me. I suggest running it through some kind of strainer to clarify it if you're used to store bought beer. When my dr said I should stop drinking beer for my blood pressure, I asked if red wine was better, so here we are today :). I have 90 gallons of muscadine wine from last falls grapes. I've bottled 10 gallons allready and gave most of them out for Christmas gifts, but like to let them sit for a year before bottling. You can drink them right away, but the taste changes over time and is more like store bought wine by the first year. I'm at the point I'm producing way more than I could drink, so the root cellar is stocked pretty well for trading one day maybe? If times get tough well all be looking for ways to get by. Hope I don't have to turn off a breaker in a hurry anytime soon! The vent pipes on the barrels are to vent outside as my wife doesn't like the fermentation smells.
image.jpg

That's an oil can. I haven't opened it yet but I assume it has two chambers for different oils?!
Makes sense. Surprised I didn't see that right off.
Well, I just got my first cup of coffee in hand and lit the woodburning stove. Not sure if I'm going to accomplish too much more today! I acitually slept in till 0730 today, first time I was able to in ages. With years of getting up at 0415, it's kind of ingrained in me now. Unfortunately, my mind is allready spinning with what needs to be done, like bring in more wood, pick some radishes and spinache, etc. speaking of I need to see how the greenhouse covering is holding up to the snow and ice. It is nice to have a day once in a while where you can pick what you want to accomplish, vs what HAS to be done.

Well, the weekend is about over, bummer. I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't starting any new preps, but want to focus on completing some of the many things I have going. I closed in the front porch a little while back, and got the woodburning stove set up on one end, but still have most of it unfinished on the inside. Well, I spent most of the weekend beginning to trim out everything. I have a bunch of rough sawn white pine boards that are becoming window sills and moldings. I also had a stack of 1x4 young and groove boards that will be the finished flooring. I got them in the room to acclimate to the temperature and humidity before laying them. It's been a while since I worked on anything on the house, and it feels really good. Luckily I have been stockpiling materials for a while now and don't need to buy much. I usually only buy stuff on clearance, but some of this stuff has been in the pole barn for ages waiting for me to get motivated. Here's to completing some of all my projects this year!

I'm going to separate trauma kit from my first aid kit in the INCH bag and build an more enhanced trauma kit into a separate bag, that's my goal hopefully be done with it before the end of the month, here is the content list, I'll post pictures on my 'Our I.N.C.H bags (content)' thread when done.

Condor Rip-Away EMT pouch
1) Streamlight 66318 microstream (1AAA) w/ 3 AAA bats.
1) Battle Dressing Compression Bandage
1) CAT Tourniquet w/ molle tourniquet holster
1) 1 set (entry/exit) Hyfin Vent Chest Seal w/valve
2) 25g QuikClot
1) Celox Rapid z-fold
1) EMT and Trauma shears w/ molle holster
1) Hemostatic clamp
2) 1" first aid tape
1) 1" Self Adhesive wrap
1) 2" Self Adhesive wrap
1) 3” Self Adhesive wrap
2) Triangular Bandage
3) 5x 9 ABD trauma pads
1) 4x4 2-pack Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 2x2 2-pack Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 2x26 Duct tape
3) NAR Bear Claw gloves
1) 4x4 Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) 8x18 Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) H&H Super Combat Sterile Cravat/Burn Dressing
3) 3.5grams BurnX
4) Antiseptic Wipe
3) Hand Wipes

Last edited:
I'm going to separate trauma kit from my first aid kit in the INCH bag and build an more enhanced trauma kit into a separate bag, that's my goal hopefully be done with it before the end of the month, here is the content list, I'll post pictures on my 'Our I.N.C.H bags (content)' thread when done.

Condor Rip-Away EMT pouch
1) Streamlight 66318 microstream (1AAA) w/ 3 AAA bats.
1) Battle Dressing Compression Bandage
1) CAT Tourniquet w/ molle tourniquet holster
1) 1 set (entry/exit) Hyfin Vent Chest Seal w/valve
2) 25g QuikClot
1) Celox Rapid z-fold
1) EMT and Trauma shears w/ molle holster
1) Hemostatic clamp
2) 1" first aid tape
1) 1" Self Adhesive wrap
1) 2" Self Adhesive wrap
1) 3” Self Adhesive wrap
2) Triangular Bandage
3) 5x 9 ABD trauma pads
1) 4x4 2-pack Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 2x2 2-pack Sterile Gauze Dressing
1) 2x26 Duct tape
3) NAR Bear Claw gloves
1) 4x4 Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) 8x18 Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) H&H Super Combat Sterile Cravat/Burn Dressing
3) 3.5grams BurnX
4) Antiseptic Wipe
3) Hand Wipes
It kind of makes my kit look sad! Does remind me I need to get some sutures for mine.

Latest posts

Back