This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a lesson on how to use the new jumper cables I got. Red is positively dangerous (at least that is how I will remember it). Now I have jumper cables and I know how to use them. Consider me armed and dangerous :)

I just had a lesson on how to use the new jumper cables I got. Red is positively dangerous (at least that is how I will remember it). Now I have jumper cables and I know how to use them. Consider me armed and dangerous :)
Just remember to connect the negative clamp on the starting vehicle to some bare metal. Like the engine block or alternator bracket. This should avoid any sparking that could cause the battery gases to explode. It's rare, but not worth taking chances.

I've got a 10kw Generac. It's a good unit but it won't start the well pump. My well pump is 5 hp and needs at least 30 amps to start. The Generac is only 30 amp so it just trips the breaker. I'll probably sell it once I get the new generator and solar on line.
That's a massive well pump! My miller welder has a 10kw generator so that's what I set up for the house backup power.i like the fact that I can produce power and fix or fabricate things with it too. Mostly though since I already had the miller that's why I used it. It won't run everything at once with it only being 10k, but will run everything if you cycle things on as desired. One perk is it conserves some fuel. I did the math with running it minimally four times a day and figured close to a year on one tank of propane. That might keep the fridge and freezer going but I would like to have it a little more than that.

That's a massive well pump! My miller welder has a 10kw generator so that's what I set up for the house backup power.i like the fact that I can produce power and fix or fabricate things with it too. Mostly though since I already had the miller that's why I used it. It won't run everything at once with it only being 10k, but will run everything if you cycle things on as desired. One perk is it conserves some fuel. I did the math with running it minimally four times a day and figured close to a year on one tank of propane. That might keep the fridge and freezer going but I would like to have it a little more than that.
Yeah. The pump is over 600 feet down hole and I'm pumping through almost a half mile of buried pipeline. The pipeline also goes over a hill to reach the barn and house site.
I like the Miller engine driven welders. I've them before myself and bought hundreds in my last carrear for pipeline welding. I'm looking at getting a new 325 amp machine. I think it has a 10,000 watt generator too. I'll get the wire feed attachment for it also.

Yeah. The pump is over 600 feet down hole and I'm pumping through almost a half mile of buried pipeline. The pipeline also goes over a hill to reach the barn and house site.
I like the Miller engine driven welders. I've them before myself and bought hundreds in my last carrear for pipeline welding. I'm looking at getting a new 325 amp machine. I think it has a 10,000 watt generator too. I'll get the wire feed attachment for it also.
I actually liked the Lincoln welder that I had before this one better. It was about eleven years old yet would still fire up instantly without the choke most times. Great in ignition system on it. As far as welding I didn't notice any difference. The reason I went with miller on the newer machine was price. It was a third less, not to mention there are triple the number of places that sell and service them. I really do like having both power and welding ability together.

I'm not sure I even want to know how much it is to drill a well 600' down! I'm looking into having a well put in here on the property. I currently have county water, and two creeks on the property, but think a well would be a good addition for the whole prepping thing.

I'm not sure I even want to know how much it is to drill a well 600' down! I'm looking into having a well put in here on the property. I currently have county water, and two creeks on the property, but think a well would be a good addition for the whole prepping thing.
The pump is 600' down, the well is 650' deep total. To drill the well it ran about $20k, pump $15k and another $15k for the water pipe and trenching. Its the cleanest, purest best tasting water I've ever drank too. Right now I'm running the well pump off an 8 kw air cooled gas generator, I have to start it whenever the pressure tank runs low. I'm looking at replacing it with an 8kw liquid cooled Perkins diesel generator with auto start. The 12 kw I ordered for the house will be shipped on the 21st and the solar gear about a week after that.
To me, having your own source of water, and generating your own electric, is a great feeling of independence. And it makes good prepping sense.

Purchased two 40' conex shipping containers $1400 delivered. Both in good shape, some rust but no dents, no holes, no damage at all.

b682cf5d9b7eb3a24e0d5ab493e37eff.jpg

You couldn't build a storage shed for that kind of money, especially not that solid and sturdy.

Exactly what they were purchased for. Figured couldn't go wrong with the price, the gentleman sold the property and needed to get rid of the containers plus it was a local sale.

Exactly what they were purchased for. Figured couldn't go wrong with the price, the gentleman sold the property and needed to get rid of the containers plus it was a local sale.
That's too good of a deal to pass up. I had a 40 foot container too, but I gave it to my father in law and his GF. He has since died. Wish I had it back.

That's too good of a deal to pass up. I had a 40 foot container too, but I gave it to my father in law and his GF. He has since died. Wish I had it back.

I always wanted one but what they were asking in price I never got around to purchasing one but getting two cheaper than what just 1 container were selling for I couldn't pass it up.

not much in preps of lately.did managed to get the lawn furniture moved from the sitting area.did tree trimming. then mowed the area..and just in time to.on account we're getting the 60% chance of rain,that they predicted for today..and the san-augustine grass is finally spreading over into that area.finally..

I got my first 4wheel drive car yesterday, a used rav 4. We don't get a lot of snow here, but do have slick mud if you ever get off the pavement so I decided it was a good idea, and a fun one as well. This is the daily driver so it won't be going off road and muddling or anything but I'm glad to know it is more capable if I ever do need to leave the pavement. It sits a good bit higher than my current honda too. I still remember the days of getting out and locking the front hubs manually in a friends old pu truck. This thing has auto engagement when ever it needs it. Modern technology is great. We decided this year to go 4wd from now on, both for safety and prepping. Now I get to glean up my old 2wd Honda CR-V and put it for sale. That should help me enough to buy an old Jeep Wrangler or more likely a Mitsubishi diesel jeep. Ive been reading a lot about jeeps and really like the mitsubishi as it has the look of a 50's Willis. The Diesel engine is unstoppable and runs on just about all fuels. Whatever I get, it will be the dedicated fishing, nice weather toy with prepping in mind. I've been scouring craigslist ads for a month now for a car and finally found a good deal. It took a 200 mile trip to pick it up but I'm glad I finally got my first 4wd!

I got my first 4wheel drive car yesterday, a used rav 4. We don't get a lot of snow here, but do have slick mud if you ever get off the pavement so I decided it was a good idea, and a fun one as well. This is the daily driver so it won't be going off road and muddling or anything but I'm glad to know it is more capable if I ever do need to leave the pavement. It sits a good bit higher than my current honda too. I still remember the days of getting out and locking the front hubs manually in a friends old pu truck. This thing has auto engagement when ever it needs it. Modern technology is great. We decided this year to go 4wd from now on, both for safety and prepping. Now I get to glean up my old 2wd Honda CR-V and put it for sale. That should help me enough to buy an old Jeep Wrangler or more likely a Mitsubishi diesel jeep. Ive been reading a lot about jeeps and really like the mitsubishi as it has the look of a 50's Willis. The Diesel engine is unstoppable and runs on just about all fuels. Whatever I get, it will be the dedicated fishing, nice weather toy with prepping in mind. I've been scouring craigslist ads for a month now for a car and finally found a good deal. It took a 200 mile trip to pick it up but I'm glad I finally got my first 4wd!
As I was reading your post I was thinking I have to tell Brent to get a Jeep, then you finally mentioned it. I love Jeeps. The ultimate play toy. I love putting the top down and taking the doors off. Kind of like a motorcycle, a feeling of freedom.

The sucky thing is every time I get a Wrangler I have to sell it for some reason or another. My last Jeep I had to sell to help pay for my mom's funeral. Sucks but I guess you have to do what you have to do.

I am a truck man normally. A very useful tool. It's funny seeing pretty boys and their done up trucks that never get used for it's intended purpose (not saying you can't have a nice truck).

Just a suggestion for your Rav 4, if you're going to be two tracking get a come a long winch and a tow strap. You want the ability to do a self recovery. Road side assistance will not pay for off road recovery.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new addition Brent! I think you'll be happy with it. Ive heard good things about the Rav 4. Except for a few sports cars I've never had any vehicle that wasn't 4 wheel drive. My first Jeep was a '47 CJ 2A. I now have a '07 Wrangler Rubicon and the wife has '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Also have a '97 Ford F250 which I installed an aluminum flatbed. My truck has manual hubs. Where I live 4 wheel drive is a necessity, not a statement or a toy. For winter I normally turn the hubs in on my truck around November and not take them out around April. Even during summer I use 4wd almost daily just to get around the ranch. All of our vehicles were bought new, and none of them even have scratch on them, yet.

Latest posts

Back