This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your new addition Brent! I think you'll be happy with it. Ive heard good things about the Rav 4. Except for a few sports cars I've never had any vehicle that wasn't 4 wheel drive. My first Jeep was a '47 CJ 2A. I now have a '07 Wrangler Rubicon and the wife has '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Also have a '97 Ford F250 which I installed an aluminum flatbed. My truck has manual hubs. Where I live 4 wheel drive is a necessity, not a statement or a toy. For winter I normally turn the hubs in on my truck around November and not take them out around April. Even during summer I use 4wd almost daily just to get around the ranch. All of our vehicles were bought new, and none of them even have scratch on them, yet.
I wish I could say the same. Earlier this year I was out back in the woods backing up and I forgot that I had the tailgate. It now has a slight U to it. Not to bad but it's there.

I won't buy a new vehicle. First because of the depreciation and two I won't support the UAW. I hate unions with a passion.

I like used because there a lot cheaper and I always get a warranty for piece of mind. I never pay full retail. I'm picky with the vehicle and dealership. I stick with hometown dealerships and refuse to go to corporation dealerships. FYI, Fox Family of dealerships suck. Fox Ford specifically suck and thank you for giving me a reason to go to Babb Ford.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I only buy used too to miss the hit when you drive it off the lot. I also buy through individuals as that saves money too. Craigslist is a great resource for finding good deals, you just have to learn to weed out the scams and crooks. There are way too many small time dealers selling on it now that are less than honest about the details of the cars they sell. It took me a month of looking but I finally found a really good car well below book value. Most of the time you can weed out the cars on the phone but not always. One guy said the car had never been in an accident and he had a carfax on hand. So I go there and the car had been repainted (not a great job either as it wasn't hard to tell) and he couldn't find the copy of the carfax. Schmuck.... I actually looked at about six cars before buying this one, but called on probably close to a hundred.

Congratulations on your new addition Brent! I think you'll be happy with it. Ive heard good things about the Rav 4. Except for a few sports cars I've never had any vehicle that wasn't 4 wheel drive. My first Jeep was a '47 CJ 2A. I now have a '07 Wrangler Rubicon and the wife has '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. Also have a '97 Ford F250 which I installed an aluminum flatbed. My truck has manual hubs. Where I live 4 wheel drive is a necessity, not a statement or a toy. For winter I normally turn the hubs in on my truck around November and not take them out around April. Even during summer I use 4wd almost daily just to get around the ranch. All of our vehicles were bought new, and none of them even have scratch on them, yet.
I don't know why I never got one before. I guess the additional expense with maintenance and fuel mostly. With my lifestyle I rarely leave pavement, but it is good to know I could now. Now the jeep I want to get after selling my Honda CR-V will be for taking off road. I live near the smokey mountains and there are old forest and logging roads all over the place here. I'm excited about exploring the mountains a little more.

I finally made it to the gander mountain store in Atlanta today. It was an absolute bust! The place had been picked clean! There was a ton of clothing left, but most everything else had been pilfered long ago. It was sad though, they are closing the doors July 29th.

Yeah - I visited the two around here and they may as well close now.

They finally upped their discounts enough, I guess....

The 2 near here are expected to reopen as whatever it's going to be. We'll see what that is, I suppose.

i passed one coming home,from visiting mom the other day..in which i found 2 things that are bothersome..1st is..i had already passed the exit,in which i wasn't about to take the next exit.just to go 1 to 2 miles out of my way..2nd is..i didn't have enough money on me at the time..

I thought Bass Pro was bought by Cabellas . Whats up with Gander mountain?

I think Bass Pro is buying Cabelas.

Gander was sold to Camping World. Somebody else bought the inventory and is selling it all off.

They're reopening some stores as Gander Outdoors in September I think.

It's hard for brick and mortar stores to remain profitable with the internet. To give you an idea why, I needed some specific electrical fuses. Every wholesale supply house I called wanted over 100.00 each. I found them for 27.00 on amazon with my prime giving free shipping. 10% difference doesn't bother me much, but how does anyone compete with this!

Got the chicken coop finished today. Brought the chicks out last week. They should be ready to go outside in another week or so.
image.jpg

Finished clearing the brush and grass around the house site today. Cleared about two acres. It's so dry that I'm worried about starting a fire if I run the brush hog much more. Construction will start on the cabin next week and I'll start building the generator shed this weekend. The first generator is scheduled to ship tomorrow. The solar equipment is still a couple of weeks out.

Latest posts

Back