This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, 80 lbs is great! I'm getting fresh ripe tomatoes to eat, but will be lucky to get more than a dozen or so pints for canning. I only planted 7 plants this year. Looks like I'll buy a couple trays of canned sauce and paste from the store this year.
Even with all the tomatoes I canned this year, we still bought a flat of tomato paste from the store yesterday. Did notice the price has gone up. Used to be 30 cents a can, now 39 cents. I can make tomato paste but normally it is just more economical to buy the ones at the store and it is so versatile so nice to have on hand.

We cleaned out the garage. Took stuff to Goodwill, and threw a bunch of stuff in the trash. We almost have room for 2 cars in the garage now. It was helpful to know what we actually have and what we actually use.
The great clean out of 2017 basically took all day. I also cleaned out the freezer , for the same reason, to know what I actually have and what I can use. Did the same for the pantry earlier this week. My goal is to go through the entire house and see what stuff I can get rid of and create maximum space.

Last edited:
We cleaned out the garage. Took stuff to Goodwill, and threw a bunch of stuff in the trash. We almost have room for 2 cars in the garage now. It was helpful to know what we actually have and what we actually use.
The great clean out of 2017 basically took all day. I also cleaned out the freezer , for the same reason, to know what I actually have and what I can use. Did the same for the pantry earlier this week. My goal is to go through the entire house and see what stuff I can and create maximum space.
It's always good to get organized.

I was at Wally World today and happened to go by sporting goods :rolleyes:. A lady was loading about twenty bricks of 22lr into the case. I was tempted to ask for them all, but decided 50 bucks for two 500 round boxes was enough. I really didn't need 22's but hadn't seen them in so long I couldn't resist.

Even with all the tomatoes I canned this year, we still bought a flat of tomato paste from the store yesterday. Did notice the price has gone up. Used to be 30 cents a can, now 39 cents. I can make tomato paste but normally it is just more economical to buy the ones at the store and it is so versatile so nice to have on hand.
There's no doubt buying it is much more economical, but just isn't as good or satisfying. Hopefully in my lifetime I will always have the option to go out and buy whatever is running low in the pantry. In years past lots of people just did without if the garden didn't do well.

I have been noticing food prices have gone up a lot recently.

We have the last batch of tomatoes in the canner. I think we wound up with about 10 quarts of tomatoes and 10 more of pasta sauce.

I'm tired of green beans and tomatoes now.

Also managed to mow the blessed yard. With all the rain we've had it was more like bushhogging. No rain today, and it was deep and thick enough to still be wet at 3:30....

I was at Wally World today and happened to go by sporting goods :rolleyes:. A lady was loading about twenty bricks of 22lr into the case. I was tempted to ask for them all, but decided 50 bucks for two 500 round boxes was enough. I really didn't need 22's but hadn't seen them in so long I couldn't resist.
Our local grocery store has a good selection of .22 ammo on hand all the time now. Decent prices too.

There's nothing wrong with a glass of wine or beer while your cutting up and processing your Garden! Some of the monotonous work is better when your more relaxed.....

Yeah. True. But I meant somewhere else.....

Out of reach!

Meanwhile, a friend of ours has a ton of bell and jalapeño peppers if we go pick them. I like both. Thinking about pickling several pints of jalapeños. IF I can work up the energy to go pick them.

Yeah. True. But I meant somewhere else.....

Out of reach!

Meanwhile, a friend of ours has a ton of bell and jalapeño peppers if we go pick them. I like both. Thinking about pickling several pints of jalapeños. IF I can work up the energy to go pick them.

They make a great jelly also. Let me know if you want a pepper jelly recipe.

pepper jelly? never heard of it,but it sounds so good,so one recipe here too, pretty please :)

Here it is, I also posted it in food preperation.

6oz fruit pectin (I like the certo liquid)
1/2 cup of jalapeno peppers (chopped very fine)
1 1/3 cup of bell peppers (chopped)
6 1/2 cups of cane suger
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
Red or green food coloring

Seed and grind peppers real fine (leave in some seeds to suite preffrence in heat)
Mix peppers with sugar and vivegar in large deep pot.
Bring to boil for 1 minute, lower fire and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (1-2 minutes more if food processor was used for chopping.
Remove from hot stove and add the certo liquid pectin and food coloring. Stir and pour into jars and seal. I jar them and seal while there hot and they seal themselves.
Makes about 8, 8oz jars, leave an 1/2 inch gap at top.
To make hotter, just substitute more bell pepper with jalapeno peppers.
Simply double, triple or quadruple recipe for larger batches

pepper jelly? never heard of it,but it sounds so good,so one recipe here too, pretty please :)

Its great on cheese and crackers, or in a salad with a balsamic vinegar. Spread it on your baked pork roast or duck. My uncle even eats in on hic peanut butter sandwich.

Last edited:
Strawberry jalapeño is also good if you run across some at a decent price. One of my all time favorites is Candied Jalapeños. I put that in my tater salad, on salads, bake potatoes, etc. Very yummy.

i now have 2 cases of pint jars of chicken soup,5 pints of taco meat,and 3 quarts and 1 pint of bread n butter pickles..this is my first go with bread n butter pickles.so it's a matter of the waiting game,just to see how they turn out..im finally getting stocked up on extra toilet paper.

Latest posts

Back