This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well,we not only got our groceries.but i got a new ball blue book guide to preserving..and 9 large mouth canning jars today..i also looked at food savers.one is 72.99 or 79.99..then there's the one i want.and it's 99.99..

The barn is going up now. Today they're setting the trusses and beams. We had some rain last night and the crane truck got stuck on the way to the site. Also building a storage shed off the end of the cabin. A guy can't have too much storage space. I'll send some pics of the barn soon. I think I'll build the garage/shop next.
We finished planting the garden yesterday. We have; tomato's, all kinds of hot peppers, pumpkins, blue berries, raspberry's, boysenberry's, grapes, gooseberry's, garlic and other stuff.
Sounds like you have your hands full, but glad to hear of progress.

Picked up an above ground pool. 22' diameter, 52" deep. Should make the summer much more fun. Wasn't planning on doing it this summer, but too good a deal to pass up. (including with an upgraded pump, etc.). Prepping the site will be the hard part. Plan is to do that this weekend, weather permitting (which is a big if lately). Then, the following weekend, I'll need to build the stairs and mini-deck, as I never trust the ladders that come with these. (and my kids are both a bit clutzy)...

Eventually, we'll add a small outdoor kitchen area, covered gazebo area, etc. (and I'll add a privacy fence). Just have to take it a step at a time. We like to grill but sometimes a little rain, so would be nice to have the grill covered.

Falls under the prepping category as a huge backup water source. (but really more for fun).

Last edited:
image.jpeg
I started planting fruit trees several years ago. The thing I try to tell people I plant now, way before you may need to depend on them for food one day. It takes a few years before they start to produce well. Here are some peaches, apples, plumbs,
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I also have loads of grapes, blueberries, raspberries, walnuts and apricots. The garden is doing good too, I'm close to digging the potatoes, and am eating lots of broccoli, onions, carrots and sweet peas. The turnips and collards are ready to pick but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have two different timed planting seeds of corn, and am hopeful I will get a decent ear of corn one day! Also still waiting for the first ripe tomatoes and cukes. The greenhouse is kind of looking like a jungle!
image.jpeg

Evaluating fire making supplies. Perhaps time to invest in a good fire starter.

As a young boy scout, we'd dip cotton balls in Vaseline, and store them in film canisters. Sadly, film canisters more or less don't exist. Going to look into discarded pill containers.

Evaluating fire making supplies. Perhaps time to invest in a good fire starter.

As a young boy scout, we'd dip cotton balls in Vaseline, and store them in film canisters. Sadly, film canisters more or less don't exist. Going to look into discarded pill containers.
Just make sure you pick non narcotic containers as you could draw some unwanted attention to yourself if stopped by law enforcement.

Just make sure you pick non narcotic containers as you could draw some unwanted attention to yourself if stopped by law enforcement.

Solid advice. When using such things I try to remove labels.

Fortunately I'm young enough that I don't have possession of anything too exciting :)

Breath mints, they come in a little tin that looks kind of like a sardine can.

After our tropical storm this weekend, will have to consider that kind of weather now, with the pool, hehe.

well i got 4 prickly pear cactus pads planted,seeing how they accidentally got broke off of the big one..then i helped mom get some flowers planted into bigger pots...now if that aint a prep.nothing is..LOL

Picked up some more antibiotics.

fish flex forte (Cephalexin) 500mg 30ct
Fish Pen Forte (Penicillin) 500mg 60ct
Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) 250mg 30ct
Fish Zole Forte (Metronidazole) 500mg 60ct
Bird Sulfa (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) 400mg of sulfamethoxazole and 80mg of trimethoprim 60ct

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, I finally got around to trying collards and turnips. The turnips were roasted with garlic, butter and salt and pepper. I can't say they are better than roasted potatoes, but we're really pretty good. I would make them again anyways. Now on to the collards. The average recipie I found called for apple cider vinegar. I prepared the ham and collards, and they were pretty good until I added the vinegar. It was way too overpowering. Nix the vinegar and they may be ok, but this was a wasted effort, not to mention a good ham bone I thawed out for this. Luckily I saved some of the ham pieces so I'll try again soon. The third pot was Ramon noodles with some roasted pork chunks and soy sauce for a quick soup. Honestly the soup was the highlight of the meal. Well, here's to trying new things, but sometimes you won't discover a new favorite. I need to find someone that likes collards and turnips so I can share some of them. :)

some of the best recipes as well as likes n dislikes,, are from trail n error..
I guess I'm just not a true southerner! I don't like grits either. Oh well, at least I know in a pinch I could eat these things, but as long as things are going well in the world I would rather not.

same here on grits.if their done up right.i'll eat up.if not,then i'll pass on um.or like you.eat them in a pinch if need be....

Latest posts

Back