Gardens 2019

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night only got down to 40 degs and yesterday's high was 59. It's supposed to be in the 70's here for the next week or so. The wife wants me to set up a couple more raised beds so she (me) can plant more herbs. She said that she wants her own little garden tractor now. When she comes home on Friday we'll stop at the JD dealer and see what they have.
I'm going to clean out the corral today and dump it in the garden. Eventually I'll till it under.
With the recent rains that we've had, areas that are normally dried out by now are still green. Usually at this I'm watering every couple of days. So far I've only had to water once.

Oh BlackBerry cobbler. . . Yum
STOP you are making me slobber :D

I don't eat dessert, but if a blackberry cobbler were put in front of me, I don't think I could resist. I love blackberries. I make a blackberry sweet and sour dipping sauce.

I have put whole fresh blackberries on bagels with cream cheese.

STOP you are making me slobber :D

I don't eat dessert, but if a blackberry cobbler were put in front of me, I don't think I could resist. I love blackberries. I make a blackberry sweet and sour dipping sauce.

I have put whole fresh blackberries on bagels with cream cheese.
Oh you had me at blackberry sweet and sour sauce. . . My absolute favorite is the BlackBerry pie with the sweetened cream cheese at the bottom. . . Yep, that is a die and go to heaven dessert.

I’ve been lucky this year with bugs. I got something chewing some holes in some leaves but whatever it was didn’t do much damage and I didn’t have to use any chemicals. Even the apple trees look great. With the dry spell we had there are no spots on any of the fruit. Usually there are spots on them by now. I might spray them now that the rains have just stopped for a few days. I need to get some bean seeds out today. There’s always something to do in a garden.

The temps are unseasonably low this week. I transplanted 11 tomato plants yesterday. These are for containers.

Could not believe the price of new terra cotta pots. I know they are best, but I bought plastic instead. The ones I planted are all container plants. Smaller, determinate types.

I just got in from watering and ripping out a row to replant. I got a huge box of turnips for the local food bank. Can’t stand the things and don’t know why I planted them again.... I had bought a bag of green bean seeds to plant but they disappeared on me. Guess I’m going back to the feed store today. I used the last of my own canned green beans so will clear out a lot of the greenhouse too and hope to restock my supply. Green beans are one of my favorite tasting home canned goods.

I just got in from watering and ripping out a row to replant. I got a huge box of turnips for the local food bank. Can’t stand the things and don’t know why I planted them again.... I had bought a bag of green bean seeds to plant but they disappeared on me. Guess I’m going back to the feed store today. I used the last of my own canned green beans so will clear out a lot of the greenhouse too and hope to restock my supply. Green beans are one of my favorite tasting home canned goods.

Have you tried eating the turnips raw. I love them raw, but hate them cooked.

I have not, but will take a bite of one on the way to the food bank. I also have an abundance of yellow squash going there too.
Still don’t like turnips, hope th food bank finds a good home for em. I will say though, if shtf, I’m going to learn to like them and kale. They both grow fantastic in Georgia with almost no effort.

I got about 3 hours in the gardens just now. Got all the played out stuff pulled and replanted with green beans, weeded, watered and staked the last of the tomatoes with cages. Feels good to get some of the stuff I was falling behind on caught up. I did cut one of my cucumber plants in half accidentally with the weed eater.... oh well. Saw several watermelons about the size of a baseball out in that jungle too.

Put new row of twine on beans today. The higher they grow, the more they produce. Saw a few small beans, squash, cucumbers.

I ate my gooseberries while standing in the garden. The blackberries are beginning to turn. This will be my first year to harvest if of the birds don't get them first.

The other day I went to water the garden and almost no water came out of the hose. I suspected that I had a leak somewhere in the 1/2 mile of buried water lines. I first checked all of the hydrants. Sometimes the cows manage to get one open. Nope. All were closed, but I did find one hydrant that appears to be broken off under ground. I'll have to get a backhoe out to dig it up and replace the hydrant. While I have the backhoe out anyway I'll have him dig a trench and run a new water line from the barn to the chicken coop.

Latest posts

Back