Gardens 2019

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This years garden is small. I planted a few small box gardens of tomatoes, peppers, onions,, oakra. and put some assorted old seeds in a row of the main field garden to see if any take root. I will be planting beats this year, I love fresh beets.
I really need to pick all my beets before they get too big to be good anymore. Then I need half a day to prepare and pickle them. There’s never enough time. I just got in from work about twenty mins ago and will start early again tomorrow morning....

No pesticides. BUT maybe you can find some good bugs to eat the bad bugs. I have a couple (went for one to two) lizards that live on my balcony. They come out every night and eat the bugs and spiders that try to establish residency on the balcony or gain entrance into our home. Just wondering if there is not some natural bug predators you can invite into your gardens and greenhouses. Nature vs. Nature.

I read something advising that when picking greens, to throw out any leaves that have any chewed holes in them from bugs. Personally I would rather eat them than leaves that have pesticides on them. With rinsing and cooking I feel it’s safer than stuff you buy at Walmart any day.

No pesticides. BUT maybe you can find some good bugs to eat the bad bugs. I have a couple (went for one to two) lizards that live on my balcony. They come out every night and eat the bugs and spiders that try to establish residency on the balcony or gain entrance into our home. Just wondering if there is not some natural bug predators you can invite into your gardens and greenhouses. Nature vs. Nature.

I have preying mantels in one garden every year and lizards and frogs.

I usually have to hand pick the Japanese beetles though.

Went and did an inventory of the gardens. I have lost 5 maybe 6 small tomato plants. Planted the Thursday and watered well, watered yesterday and didn't get to them today until 6:30 p.m. and they were completely fried.

It's been cooler here the last 2 days too. In the 80s instead of 90s.

Need a good rain soon.

Sorry Robin. . It is so depressing when you lose part of your crop. Have you thought about burying part of a 5 gallon bucket that has holes drilled at the bottom sides and filling it with water. I neighbor told me that was how one of his relatives grew a good tomato e crop during a drought. It was just a thought. I know I just about wanted to say to hec k with the garden this year when my corn didn't come up and then hit by squash bugs. I talked with my neighbor who planted the same corn I did. His didn't come up this year either so he replaced with a different variety and his is now doing very well. He even said he is willing to share in exchange of some pickles and jellies.

Seems like I just can't get out there everyday like norm this season. I had 5 huge yellow cucumbers that are going to the pigs in the morning. I did pick a good number of cukes and jalapenoes. I will be candying the jalaps to can up hopefully tomorrow. Also got 3 help peppers that got 1/2, seeds cleaned out at thrown into a bag for the freezer. In the morning I will need to pick my green beans. Some are past due picking so I will use them for seeds next time I plant.

Seems like I just can't get out there everyday like norm this season. I had 5 huge yellow cucumbers that are going to the pigs in the morning. I did pick a good number of cukes and jalapenoes. I will be candying the jalaps to can up hopefully tomorrow. Also got 3 help peppers that got 1/2, seeds cleaned out at thrown into a bag for the freezer. In the morning I will need to pick my green beans. Some are past due picking so I will use them for seeds next time I plant.

I have been watering daily, but the 5 I lost were young seedlings. I o my transplanted them because i was certain that there would be rain that day. Lol. I have more seedlings ready to replace them. The are too small right now. Hopefully, the temps will stay lower until we get a good rain.

I can't grow corn or any variety. I guess I have the wrong soil type.

1st week in winter Down Under - my broad beans are about 10cm high. Onions doing well. Have to plant more in the morning after a good sleep ( it's 2.26am here-just finished work). Silver Beet seeds in, nothing has come up yet. Winter tends to be a time where I adda lot of fertiliser/composts, not too much veggies-getting ready for Spring.

Just came in from watering. It doesn't take long for the soul to dry. We desperately need a good soaking rain.

I watered last night and by 10 a.m. the plants were drooping. My okra is to the worst start ever. It usually is one of my best producers. I'm going to replant a few seeds since a few didn't germinate.

I’ve got some yellow squash that’s just about ready to start picking. Pulled some onions and beets and canned a case of pickled beets today.felt good to add something of my own to the pantry again. Will taste them in three days or so and see how they turned out. Last year they were over cooked and got mushy. Not much worse than mushy beets...
Had to complete some changes to my pump and sprinklers today, but am good with watering again. Holding a hose is not good for 2 and a half acres! Even with this really dry spell all the plants are looking good at least.

I got out there at first light to start picking my beans. I went ahead and pulled the whole plant to feed the leaves to the goats. After that I did some wedding and tilling. By the time I got in, it was time to make granny lunch. Think granny said your beans are good at least 4 times. Good her good cause you are having them again at dinner time. After we got home, it was just about time to start the rest of dinner going to get back over there. Least I got some more done on a Christmas present quilt. It's 8 o'clock and about to eat dinner and get ready for bed. Work tomorrow, sooo, I did not get my jalapeno candied today. Maybe day after tomorrow.

I got out there at first light to start picking my beans. I went ahead and pulled the whole plant to feed the leaves to the goats. After that I did some wedding and tilling. By the time I got in, it was time to make granny lunch. Think granny said your beans are good at least 4 times. Good her good cause you are having them again at dinner time. After we got home, it was just about time to start the rest of dinner going to get back over there. Least I got some more done on a Christmas present quilt. It's 8 o'clock and about to eat dinner and get ready for bed. Work tomorrow, sooo, I did not get my jalapeno candied today. Maybe day after tomorrow.

Beans keep producing all season. I pick on an average of 2 to 3 times per week.

Energizer bunny!

Beans keep producing all season. I pick on an average of 2 to 3 times per week.
I planted the bush type Italian Flat bean. These have a few pickings and then they are done. I have been wanting to try out the pole bean type but havent gotten to yet. Maybe next year. . . . I am looking at the Kentucky Wonder. I know the feed store sells them, just havent made my way up there yet. Hunny normally takes me up once a year to get seeds so next time that will be one I grab. I have to say I miss my Contenders. I havent planted any of those yet this year.

Latest posts

Back