Gardens 2019

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It started raining at 5:30 this morning and has not stopped. Weatherman said we could expect up to seven inches. If coarse today is the day I have had to go out multiple times to check up on goats. Last week I had a baby that had his leg broken at feeding time. One of the bigger goats must have ran him over. It got reset and bandaged using old toilet paper tubing and popsicle sticks. He mom and brother were separated to the sick barn area till it heals up. There is a shed up on piers that we store all our wood in so it has the 2in x 1 in sure around the bottom so babies can not escape. Well this baby got his popsicle leg caught on the fence and couldn't get it out. Leg still looks and feels straight but I am sure it did not help it any with his healing.

Poor baby.

My sand was delivered so last night after dinner and early this morning, I started putting sand on alllnthe rows of plants. I usually incorporate into planting mixture, but was out this year.

Now, I getting sprinkles of rain. Please come on down. I need you desperately.
It looks like we are supposed to get rain for the next 4 days .

I got a break in the rain for a bit today and got in some weeding and thinned out the tomatoes today. Picked a box full of peas and ripped them out of that row. I have some green bean seeds to get in the ground as soon as I can. Still need to shell all those peas too. I picked some yellow squash today. Tried some a new way, sliced them in half and scooped out the middle. I spritzed with olive oil and seasoned with pepper, salt, garlic and onion. Then crumbled some bacon over them and baked. Sprinkled cheese over them just before done. Pretty good stuff. Gardening may be a lot of work but the fresh dinners make it worth it.

I don’t know our total rainfall so far but it’s been drizzly with some showers for a few days and a few more forecast. It’s been a good saturating fall without the torrential runoff. Just what the doctor ordered. I need to go out and pick blueberries tomorrow. They love all this water.

I'm glad that we decided to not plant a garden this year. Yesterday we had a little snow and a hard freeze last night. It's still only 36 degs right now.
Last year we had to replant some things twice due to hail damage and freezing temps.
We need to come up with a plan for next year to protect the plants from freezing.
I'm planning on building a greenhouse next to the garden area. I may add a propane heater to the greenhouse too. And for starting seeds early I've added some electrical outlets in the root cellar under the house for grow lights.
We have fantastic soil in the garden that will grow anything, but we do have a short growing season that limits us on what we can grow without a greenhouse.

IMG_20190608_084327.jpg
My Roma tomatoes are loaded this year.
IMG_20190608_084448.jpg

The others are not doing too bad either.

I got the orchard mowed yesterday and all the trees look good. Barring any more storms we should have good crop of cherries, apples and plums. We did lose some limbs from the heavy snows this winter but nothing too serious.
A few of the grape vines were damaged from the frost the other day. They should survive. Other vines already have clusters of little grapes.
One blueberry bush may not make it. I ran it over with the mower. The grass was higher than the bushes.
It looks like it's going to start warming up now. Last night was only in the upper 30's and it's already 42 degs now.

I'm starting to look at fruit presses and would welcome any suggestions from the members here.

I got the orchard mowed yesterday and all the trees look good. Barring any more storms we should have good crop of cherries, apples and plums. We did lose some limbs from the heavy snows this winter but nothing too serious.
A few of the grape vines were damaged from the frost the other day. They should survive. Other vines already have clusters of little grapes.
One blueberry bush may not make it. I ran it over with the mower. The grass was higher than the bushes.
It looks like it's going to start warming up now. Last night was only in the upper 30's and it's already 42 degs now.

I'm starting to look at fruit presses and would welcome any suggestions from the members here.

The best blueberry bush we have was run over with a mower.... just sayin’

Latest posts

Back