What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most people don't know what to do with black beans. If you just boil them like butter beans they are not very palatable. And unless you cook them long enough, they cause gas.

The only reason I bought them was because they were on a steep sale and were much cheaper than pinto beans, which is what I normally buy. I decided I had to find a way to cook them that was edible. Slow cooking at 200°F for 6 hours is the ticket.

I'm boiling a sack of crawfish right now.

I boiled new red potatoes, corn on the cob, garlic cloves, onions, celery, asparagus, mushrooms and smoked sausage.

The beer is cold and the bread pudding is in the oven.
My boat is almost snow free. Maybe next week I'll be able to go out and trap a gunny sack full of crawdads. I'm looking forward to spring!

I think most people don't know what to do with black beans. If you just boil them like butter beans they are not very palatable. And unless you cook them long enough, they cause gas.

The only reason I bought them was because they were on a steep sale and were much cheaper than pinto beans, which is what I normally buy. I decided I had to find a way to cook them that was edible. Slow cooking at 200°F for 6 hours is the ticket.
I had a black bean and rice dish at a Mexican restaurant that was really good. Wish I had paid more attention to what was in it. On the other hand I wish they were open and I could go have some again!

What seasonings do you use?

I bought a 3 lb chuck roast and cut it in half, vacuum freezer bagging one and will do the other in the instapot today. It’s been in the fridge all night with a dry rub of seasonings and after searing I will add potatoes, carrots and onion to make a beef stew. Probably my favorite dish in the world. With a side of jiffy corn bread.

I'm making 5 pound of sweet and spicy jerky. It's been marinating all night and should be ready to go in the smoker in a couple hours.
Homemade jerky is one of my favorite things in life. I don’t do the sweet but like slightly salty and spicy.
For dinner I had the instapot chuck roast and carrots, onions and potatoes. My idea of comfort food. I will have three or four meal of it yet to come. I normally pour the gravy over the vegetables but just spooned some on my plate tonight. It was so good I want to make some mashed potatoes or rice for it later on. Gravy makes everything better!

Latest posts

Back