What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me either, at least until we move to the BOL...
I am staying put so unless I buy the place beside me or relocate ,,,this is it,2 small garden areas 10 x 30 and another 20 x 20,they are plenty big enough for my needs,,,I would like to plant corn but I have a heavy raccoon population and I doubt I would get much if any of it

I am staying put so unless I buy the place beside me or relocate ,,,this is it,2 small garden areas 10 x 30 and another 20 x 20,they are plenty big enough for my needs,,,I would like to plant corn but I have a heavy raccoon population and I doubt I would get much if any of it
I got two large outside dogs that have pretty much gotten rid of the deer problems. They chase off squirrels, possums and raccoons as well.

I have a husquavarna front time too, and it beats the hell out of me too. By spring I will have a tiller for the tractor, but am in no rush now since I've allready tilled this season.
I had a rear tine Husquavarna tiller at my last place. I put in two small gardens with it and then sold it when we moved. I think I paid like $900 for it and sold it for $600. It was a good tiller but a little too small for the garden we're putting in here. A tractor mounted tiller is in my plans for next year.

all this rain and cooler weather has me thinking I may have to replant about half my garden only about half the potatoes have sprouted and the onions are about the same and the tomatoes and peppers are not looking good,,I will give it until mid month if I see no more sprouts I can still replant,,,,,I should have waited a little longer to plant I knew the weather was going to be wet this spring,,,it's my own fault

all this rain and cooler weather has me thinking I may have to replant about half my garden only about half the potatoes have sprouted and the onions are about the same and the tomatoes and peppers are not looking good,,I will give it until mid month if I see no more sprouts I can still replant,,,,,I should have waited a little longer to plant I knew the weather was going to be wet this spring,,,it's my own fault
Your onions should be fine. Depending on the size of your tomatoes and peppers you can try to cover them with old milk jugs to create a mini greenhouse for them. Heck, I even used mason jars this year when I ran out of the milk jugs. It was wet a cool for a couple weeks after I had them in the ground. I did lose 2 tomatoes and 1 pepper. The tomatoes actually recovered faster than the peppers, but all doing good now. Last year when we had a lot of rain I ended up losing about half my potatoes, but ended up doing better than both my neighbors. Someone else may know a trick to help them along.

Every year is a crap shoot with Mother Nature. I'm just thankful my livelihood dosent depend on growing things. One thing that helps with the potatoes are hills. I plant on a slope so the excess water runs off. As far as tomatoes and cukes, mine are growing fine, but no where near harvesting yet. At least it's early enough to replant still.

The wife and I got up early today and drove down to the big city (pop 6,000) and went to the lumber yard, Tractor Supply and nursery. We got some apple and cherry trees, grape, raspberry, blue berry and black berry plants and asparagus plants. Got lumber for 6 more raised beds and a ton of potting soil to fill the raised beds. Picked up a couple hundred fence posts, hog wire and barbed wire to finish fencing the new pasture. That should keep me out of trouble for awhile.

The wife and I got up early today and drove down to the big city (pop 6,000) and went to the lumber yard, Tractor Supply and nursery. We got some apple and cherry trees, grape, raspberry, blue berry and black berry plants and asparagus plants. Got lumber for 6 more raised beds and a ton of potting soil to fill the raised beds. Picked up a couple hundred fence posts, hog wire and barbed wire to finish fencing the new pasture. That should keep me out of trouble for awhile.

sounds like work to me.....

I only wish I could devote all my time to projects around my place!
I was lucky to water everything this morning! It's been great with all the rain, but it is so hot now (90) that it is drying out fast. I got the greenhouse and the new pear trees soaked well this morning at least. I will start rotating between everything else in another day or so if Mother Nature dosent help out some more soon. It takes time to maintain all this stuff, but at least we have the means. Could you imaging being a farmer 100 yrs ago. Without electric pumps you were at the complete mercy of the weather.

Yeah, but it's a lot more rewarding working on things you love. Dosent pay as well though.....
Absolutely. I usually work around the place until dark. I can also take a break anytime I want and sit under a tree and get a cold one out of the ice chest. There's at least a dozen projects that I'm working on here at any given time..

playing in the garden,,,I have almost finished prepping another 10 x 10 area I had it tilled up a few days ago and tonight I added sawdust to the mix and tilled it again Saturday I will add 10 bags of Black Cow and till one last time,,,,my melon and loup plants I do not think are going to survive but I have peas and a few more onions I want to put out,,,then it is just sit back and see what it all does,,,another ten days should tell the tell on what is already out there

Latest posts

Back