What have you done for garden prep so far?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 6 frontend loads of mulch. Three fits on the 24'ft trailor at a time. While hunny went back for the second loafs, I stayed home to work on three different raised bed. A couple days ago I had spread hay on top & this morning each row got 2-3 wheelbarrow loafs of sand spread and then 3-4 loafs of mulch. Tilled all that in and planted one row with okra, another with Miss Pinkeye and the last row was still a little too wet so will till again tomorrow with some more sand mixed in before planting. My peas are basically done and I am getting tired of looking at them. Think I will go ahead and pull them and replant the trellis with brown crowders instead of going to the feed store to pick up some Kentucky's. I have some seeds but not enough for both rows. Picked a bunch of green beans and cucumbers so will need to get those processed in the morning. Had kids along with grand baby stop by for a visit. She is not quite old enough to help with the picking but she sure did enjoy the washing up of veggies using the outdoor sink. That and she thought every critter should come to her calling them by her dogs name. . . she'll be a year and a half in just a few more days. Time sure does pass by. Son three stopped by to clean his fish up after his off shore trip. He left us some Long. This I will be caramelizing it for dinner tomorrow.

I borrowed my dad's brush cutter a couple days ago and started clearing the new garden area. Next week I'm going to pick up some apple, plum and cherry trees, raspberry, grape and black berry plants. It's still too early to plant most things but I think the trees and berries will be fine. Going to add 6 new raised beds too. Maybe in a few more weeks we can plant the rest of the garden.

Last edited:
Kids got the garden planted along with the wild flowers all around the garden. Woke up this morning and it was in the upper 34deg though no frost, suppose to be nice all the way through next Thursday. The kids are growing all the spices in the greenhouse this year.
I need a green house so we can get an earlier start on growing things. The greenhouse will be on my next year's building project list. Just not sure what size to build yet.

I need a green house so we can get an earlier start on growing things. The greenhouse will be on my next year's building project list. Just not sure what size to build yet.
With the cold weather you have there I would say the bigger the better. Mine is about 20x20 and I with it was a third bigger. It produces well, but having more area would be nice. Take a look at the biltmore greenhouse in Asheville N.C. It is amazing. That goes back to it's good to be rich thing.

I have a old front tine tiller,,and I swear I will not be using that SOB next year,,,it beats me to death and does a half ### job,,I have to go ahead of the tiller with a shovel and break the ground
I have a husquavarna front time too, and it beats the hell out of me too. By spring I will have a tiller for the tractor, but am in no rush now since I've allready tilled this season.

I have a husquavarna front time too, and it beats the hell out of me too. By spring I will have a tiller for the tractor, but am in no rush now since I've allready tilled this season.
yeah like you the worst is over for this year,,,,maybe after I prep the garden for fall I will sell it this year,,,come say October I might be able to get a deal on a good used one

That's when I bought mine. Bought it new for $150 off....
Some idiot bought my tiller from lowes, took it home and put gas in it and ran it till it siezed up from having no oil in it! Lowes took it back when he thru a fit about it. Anyways, one of the employees got it, put new bearings in it and sold it to me for 125.00. It runs great and fires right up every time. Still beats the crap out of you though. I can say that it's better than a hoe, but only marginally!

Some idiot bought my tiller from lowes, took it home and put gas in it and ran it till it siezed up from having no oil in it! Lowes took it back when he thru a fit about it. Anyways, one of the employees got it, put new bearings in it and sold it to me for 125.00. It runs great and fires right up every time. Still beats the crap out of you though. I can say that it's better than a hoe, but only marginally!

The butt kicking is why I got the Troy-Built. Much improvement, but not as much as you'll get with a pto tiller!

Latest posts

Back