This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple hours ago while I was driving home I had an accident about 4 miles from home. I was coming around a corner and another truck loaded with logs pulled out in front of me from a side road going the other direction. The asshole didn't have his load tied down and a 2 foot diameter log rolled off his trailer right in front of me. I hit the log at about 40 mph. Fortunately I managed to keep the Jeep upright.
The two loggers got a little belligerent at the beginning, but they calmed down once I started taking pictures and they saw my dog and pistol.
I guess the moral of this story is to never drive a low ground clearance vehicle in the mountains and to remain calm in case of an accident. And to keep the proper "tools" in case you need to defend yourself. If I was driving a vehicle with low ground clearance it would have been totaled and probable injuries too.

A couple hours ago while I was driving home I had an accident about 4 miles from home. I was coming around a corner and another truck loaded with logs pulled out in front of me from a side road going the other direction. The asshole didn't have his load tied down and a 2 foot diameter log rolled off his trailer right in front of me. I hit the log at about 40 mph. Fortunately I managed to keep the Jeep upright.
The two loggers got a little belligerent at the beginning, but they calmed down once I started taking pictures and they saw my dog and pistol.
I guess the moral of this story is to never drive a low ground clearance vehicle in the mountains and to remain calm in case of an accident. And to keep the proper "tools" in case you need to defend yourself. If I was driving a vehicle with low ground clearance it would have been totaled and probable injuries too.
Glad you’re ok. Don’t imagine the jeep suspension fared as well.

Yeah .glad ur alrigh
this morning.was given highbush dried blueberries. Elbow macaroni and spaghetti.then Did my food shopping for the month.stocked up on extra blue cheese salad dressing and steak sauce. Get home to find 2 frozen chicken breast in a freezer baggie, between screen door n front door..so my food preps is up to par.now to get some store bought water.

Thanks. Someone from the insurance company is coming out tomorrow to assess the damage. I hit the log dead center on the lower part of the winch bumper. It hit hard enough to bend the bumper down a couple inches and pushed the winch in to the grill. The cross bar under the bumper is bent badly. Both front fenders broke loose, the battery, air cleaner and radiator overflow tank broke loose under the hood. One of the hydraulic lines going to the winch is leaking. That's all the obvious damage that I can see without climbing under the vehicle or checking the frame.
I've always liked Jeep vehicles but now I know just how well built they are. I don't think any other similar sized SUV would have held up this well.

Thanks. Someone from the insurance company is coming out tomorrow to assess the damage. I hit the log dead center on the lower part of the winch bumper. It hit hard enough to bend the bumper down a couple inches and pushed the winch in to the grill. The cross bar under the bumper is bent badly. Both front fenders broke loose, the battery, air cleaner and radiator overflow tank broke loose under the hood. One of the hydraulic lines going to the winch is leaking. That's all the obvious damage that I can see without climbing under the vehicle or checking the frame.
I've always liked Jeep vehicles but now I know just how well built they are. I don't think any other similar sized SUV would have held up this well.

My jeep just had the clutch go out. I had to order parts from japan and spent hours finding someone that would even work on it. Luckily I found someone that has worked on several of these Mitsubishi built jeeps. Of course I have to trailer it down three hours away to get it to him, but hey, I want my jeep back. Anyways, the point here I was going for was I’m glad you have an American jeep, that you can get parts and find mechanics for it.

345211A2-F722-4D5C-BB8A-1C9C48C06BBA.jpeg
I got the last of the roof and sides buttoned down on the new storage shed! Still have trim and shelving to finish up but at least it is progressing. Couldn’t have picked a hotter time to do this project though. I’ve been starting early and then going back out late to work on it to avoid some of the heat at least. Oh, and eventually I will paint the sides as I recycled the different color tin from the original structure to finish closing it up.
2A7EC1C0-D210-4F94-B4D8-80558DEC0068.jpeg

I ordered the windows, doors, cabinets and countertops for the house today. The second floor bedrooms and bathroom are framed in now. The trusses should be here next week and they should be able to complete the French drain too.
Got a call from number 3 grandson today. He asked if I'd take him hunting this Fall and on the trap line too. I just wish he lived a little closer. I'm glad to see that he's showing some interest.

Went through the second cache of guns on the BOL property, and checked and oiled them. Mostly pump shotguns and single shot rifles, one KAR98. A .17 hornet pistol, but I think it needs a new barrel.
Looked at cattle trailers. I'm not in charge of getting the cows butchered, but for some reason the normal place is booked solid until January! I don't know that I would have called earlier, if it was up to me. So the cows are going to be around longer than planned.

We had a group discussion, and decided a few things.
Build a backstop berm so we can shoot rifles at 200 yards, not far enough but best we can do without messing up a field.
Plant a strip of food crops along the edge of one of the fields. For the deer.
Get rid of some of the coyotes in the area. Stink had an adventure, and I had to walk out into the neighbors pasture with a pistol at midnight. He was fine, but the yotes are getting bold, and numerous.

Had a waterway blow out, we are going to resculpt it, and plant it in clover, which is a perennial, and should help feed bees.

I ordered some supplies for my go bag that I keep. One item is a watch, that I hope fits. I also order another round of junk silver coins. Other than that I am doing the weekend prepping to get ready for the week. It’s harder than usual because I am babysitting my granddaughter all weekend. I babysit at her house and I spend a lot of time doing stuff around their house. I feel like I have done a lot, but I haven’t because most of it is at their house. Oh well better than just sitting around.

12 cords of seasoned wood of oak, birch, Apple and hemlock cut split and stacked, we getting closer to being ready for the winter :)
I've got about 4 cords of Doug Fir and Larch left over from last winter. I'm only going to put up another 4 cords for this year.
I'd like to get a cord of apple or cherry wood for smoking. Next time I go up north to visit the kids I'll bring back a load of alder for smoking. Yep, winter will be here soon.

I've got about 4 cords of Doug Fir and Larch left over from last winter. I'm only going to put up another 4 cords for this year.
I'd like to get a cord of apple or cherry wood for smoking. Next time I go up north to visit the kids I'll bring back a load of alder for smoking. Yep, winter will be here soon.

Unfortunately I didn't any cherry this year but did get a lot of apple, permits are getting expensive for taking out 5000+ board feet of timber on private land, last fee cost me $1500 and that was for red alder and maple, so I'm not really cutting trees down for other people anymore unless it's worth it. The states absolutely greedy!

I got the new water filter for the well today. Amazon again. This is a whole house filter specifically for removing iron and manganese. It is completely automatic and backflushes as needed. The filter media is supposed to be good for 5yrs between changes. It was not cheap but I like the low maintenance of it. I will still filter the drinking and cooking water with fridge filters and the Berkey. I still need to pour the slab for the well house, install the filter and build a removable structure to keep it warm before winter, but am getting there. It will be nice for the toilets to not be rust colored anymore!

Man, tell me about it. My toilet looks terrible, but no point buying a new one without a good filter, plus I don't own this place, so...

I rented an old farm house for a while, and the previous Tennant's (moving out) told me they had the well head freeze up.

I ended up using an extension cord, a horse tank, and a light bulb, and had no problems that winter. Then in the spring just put it all away.

Well I started my 4th food pantry after buying more supplies from Walmart and our little nieborhood grocer. It was our gameroom closet with games, party supplies, crafts and decorations. I threw a lot of it out and put all the board games on the very top shelf. I will get more out of there to make more room for preps. Once I see what all I can fit, I will rearrange everything.

0913180715.jpg

Last edited:
I started moving my tools in to the new shop today. Changed oil in the wifes Jeep too. I almost forgotten how nice it is to work on a concrete floor. Got the electrical conduit run between the house and the shop. Found out that someone forget to order the house trusses. Now we're two weeks out. Tomorrow I'm having my Jeep towed to the body shop.

I got the solar watch and it did fit. That’s a relief because I hate returning items.
I joined the local police departments junior officers police patrol training.
I thought it would be good to learn some insightful tips on how law enforcement operates. It might also help me learn some safety tips. Last night was the first class. It was good, but not a lot of information just more introductory information.

Well I started my 4th food pantry after buying more supplies from Walmart and our little nieborhood grocer. It was our gameroom closet with games, party supplies, crafts and decorations. Im threw a lot of it out and put all the boaed games on the very top shelf. I will get more out of there to make more room for preps. Once I see what all I can fit, I will rearrange everything.

View attachment 9026
Isn’t it a good feeling to not have to worry about having to run out and buy stuff right before a storm. Not to mention when I’m deciding what to have for dinner I have lots to choose from and rarely don’t have a needed ingredient.

Latest posts

Back