This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats grandma! I really am jealous. I just don’t have enough grass area for a cow. I could buy a lot of hay but that kind of takes away the whole self sustaining thing....

Where we live now it is almost entirely wooded. I have been thinking goats. But then we also have bears which may just be a problem.

Where we live now it is almost entirely wooded. I have been thinking goats. But then we also have bears which may just be a problem.
The wife and I have thought about getting some goats. But other than pets I don't know what good they'd be for us. We don't like goat milk or goat cheese. We have bears, wolves, and mountain lions here so the goats would have to be put away at night. The wife still might get some mini goats anyway to go along with her mini donkey's.

Finishing up an additional insulated storage room in the garage for paper goods. 8'x8'x4'. Once this is done, I will be able to store 2 years minimum of TP and paper towels. After completion, it frees up an additional 6'x4'x3' cabinet in the CP for more food storage.

Been an avid gun owner/shooter/ammo horder and back country hunter. Felt pretty good about my gear realized food water and fuel is key. This week I stored 6 gallons of water. A few canned meats some ramen and rice and a few soup. Like I said my gear is more than G2G time to get real and on with the real preps

Been an avid gun owner/shooter/ammo horder and back country hunter. Felt pretty good about my gear realized food water and fuel is key. This week I stored 6 gallons of water. A few canned meats some ramen and rice and a few soup. Like I said my gear is more than G2G time to get real and on with the real preps

Food and water is always key :)

Most males I’ve met always start collecting weapons when getting into prepping. I’ll take a good quality water filter any day over guns. Of course having both isn’t bad either.... there is a lot of discussion here as well about not just having food on hand, but being able to produce and preserve it sustainably too. I want to be able to take care of my family for more than just a two week bad spell after a storm or something.

Keep in mind, ramen noodles are more of a filler. . . not much nutritional values. You can always add in dehydrated or canned meats and veggies to them. Besides, you will probably be wanting the extra protein and calories in a situation.

Keep in mind, ramen noodles are more of a filler. . . not much nutritional values. You can always add in dehydrated or canned meats and veggies to them. Besides, you will probably be wanting the extra protein and calories in a situation.

Yes it’s more of a filler but just getting started on a limited budget I figured why not spend two bucks and throw some on the shelf

Because Ramen really doesn't give you much towards your hunger (and results in a high sodium intake).

For the same money as a couple packs of ramen, you could get some canned veggies or fruit that give far more nutritional value. (and would keep any vermin out)

Or, bags of rice, beans, dried pasta, etc. There are also packets and boxes of flavored pasta or rice that have more to them than ramen, for a buck.

Prep food should be similar to what you normally eat. Otherwise, in a SHTF scenario, you're going to spend some time squatting in the woods, lol....

Mountain House makes some decent dehydrated meals. Granted, I think they were about $5 at Walmart, but really, enough for two people, so figured that way, it isn't too, too bad, for price on survival food. If you do something like this, be sure to actually TRY each flavor before buying multiples.

Personally, I like these more when size and weight are an issue (like in your bug out bag, or get home bag). I'm more partial to the beef stew one myself.

Mountain House makes some decent dehydrated meals. Granted, I think they were about $5 at Walmart, but really, enough for two people, so figured that way, it isn't too, too bad, for price on survival food. If you do something like this, be sure to actually TRY each flavor before buying multiples.

Personally, I like these more when size and weight are an issue (like in your bug out bag, or get home bag). I'm more partial to the beef stew one myself.
Good advice on the trying it thing before investing a lot. I recently discovered knorr sides at Walmart. I tried one pasta dish and it was really good, so I bought a couple of each flavor they had the next trip. The next one I tried went to the dogs after two bites....
another thing brought up was the compact and light portability of freeze dried meals. Canned goods are great at home or bol, but suck to carry.

I have quite a bit of mountain house on hand for backcountry trips I got a few flavors I can eat but after about 4-5 days it starts to make me feel like crap.

Just got back in from checking on the goats and it snowing for the second time this year! This far south, we hardly ever see snow. . . We've been having close to record low for our area. Its been so cold for so long now that my poor gardenn is looking horrible now. Usually a couple days is not an issue, but all the greens, except the curly leaf mustard have gotten frost bitten. The carrots, cabbage, and onions are the only thing not effected. Those and the turnip, but the actual greens I'll just feed them to the critters. In fact I'm really thinking about turning the goats out in it to clean up.

Betsey Lou got her shot today so we have a heifer in with her so I can tell when she comes into heat. When she does, she will get inseminated with a jersey heifer calf. Just hope our bull doesn't get wind of her first. . . I spent last Tues out in the freezing rain fixing fence lines and hot wire from where he jumped it to get to Daisy May. I would really love to get rid of that bull but hunny likes him too much. He got out everyday I was home by myself and having to deal with him, but the days hunny was off, Charlie didn't even try.

I have one goat that should be having babies anytime now, which is why I needed to go check her before turning in tonight. Its below freezing, think 22 or 23 and will stay that way. Have towels on the ready just in cases. Put down some fresh hay out in the barn too. Looks like it won't be tonight though. She started discharging yesterday, but she hasn't started loosening up on the backside yet.

I like most of the Knorr sides (both pasta and rice ones). Not a fan of the "select" variety of rice sides though. They are great (and cheap) sides to a meal.

My favorite: Get some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. A packet of McCormick "Mesquite" marinade mix (one packet per two people's worth of chicken). Make the marinade, let the breasts marinade in that for a couple hours or more (I typically put it all in a good ziploc bag). Or skip the time if you want....I just like it to sit.

Cook the chicken breasts either on the grill, on a foreman grill, etc. and heat up any excess marinade. Serve that over the Knorr chicken pasta flavor (just the plain ol' chicken pasta flavor). It is yummy....one of my favorite things.

Last edited:
No babies this morning so that's good. It supposed to warm up to the 40s by tomorrows high and I think 53 the day after, but of coarse its supposed to be raining.

Drained all water lines yesterday to the pastures so will need to close them back up. Had to break ice in all troughs. The little pigs get their water from a waterer rigged up with PVC pipe, which the water inside froze. Poor babies were thirsty. . . they now have an old barrel feeder for water.

Can already tell Betseys body is doing what it needs to do. Daisy mounted her but she hasn't been standing still. It shouldn't happen till 60 hours which should be Fri around noon, but there is always exception which is why I requested to work early this week and get it over with. Its a small window that I don't want to miss.

In just his first year, Trump has fixed Global Warming! LOL....

mapcold.jpg

I didn't even think of the whole pipes issue. We're just not used to that here in FL, but a very real reality tomorrow. Supposed to be below freezing. In Central FL!!!

Last edited:
Concealed Handgun License? called different things in different states. Here, it's a CCP or Concealed Carry Permit.

Back