This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The roofing guy came by to check the vents. We have a gas heater. He went up and checked (and admitted he didn't when the work was completed in the summer). He said everything was fine. Then he said that he made one fit more "snuggly" and then later on he used the word reconnected... hmm. I got the carbon monoxide detectors plugged in. I don't know if "reconnecting" and making something fit more"snuggly" would have caused us any problems, but when I proactively take care of something, or prep for something in advance and found out I did the right thing. ... I feel like I have won something... like some kind of score. I don't know how to explain it, but it makes me feel really good.
I like the old saying of better safe than sorry.

It dries much faster than hardwoods. As artic said, standing deadwood is pre dried and easy to use. Lots of people say o never burn pine for fear of flu fires but as I said, as long as you clean every year it's no problem.
Also to help prevent flue fires with a wood stove it's important to have a draft and a damper that you can close all the way. Unfortunately many of the new EPA approved stoves aren't equipped with dampers or draft controls. That's why I had to modify my stove and cut out all the EPA crap to make it work right.

Also to help prevent flue fires with a wood stove it's important to have a draft and a damper that you can close all the way. Unfortunately many of the new EPA approved stoves aren't equipped with dampers or draft controls. That's why I had to modify my stove and cut out all the EPA crap to make it work right.
Why would they get rid of a damper?

Why would they get rid of a damper?
In the brilliant know-everything-better nanny mentallity of the EPA, they were only interested in reducing smoke emmisions. A hot fast burning fire emmits less emmisions than a slow burning fire. Their thought process was that if they took away the damper then you wouldn't be able shut down your stove. I like to shut the damper down to get fire to last longer. Don't really care about the smoke.

In the brilliant know-everything-better nanny mentallity of the EPA, they were only interested in reducing smoke emmisions. A hot fast burning fire emmits less emmisions than a slow burning fire. Their thought process was that if they took away the damper then you wouldn't be able shut down your stove. I like to shut the damper down to get fire to last longer. Don't really care about the smoke.
At least I can understand the reasoning now. I agree though, I want to be able to let it smolder all night to keep it warm longer and to have coals still going for early the next morning to rekindle..

Got a 10% off coupon for Home Depot the other day. I'm going to make the trip down there this morning and pick up a new refrigerator and chest freezer. And some lumber and new tools. I have a freezer somewhere in storage but can't find it. We're going to butcher the pigs next week and I need a place to put the meat. I'll put the freezer in dad's garage until I can finish the setting up the solar. Got the tile laid in the bathroom last night. Tomorrow I'll set up the shower, water heater and sink.

Picked up a case of 24 boxes each box has 6ct (144 candles per case) of Luminessence unscented Emergency Candles $24. Each candle is 4" tall burns 5hrs.

This would be the third case of emergency candles we picked up this year, last year I filled up 3 5gal buckets (50 per bucket) of 10" candles 8hr burn unscented.

With all the candles I've been acquiring, I looked around and seen I only had 4 candlesticks. Lisa out and about called and found some old wrought iron candlesticks and brass and pewter chambersticks, she be bringing home 2 wrought iron candlesticks and 3 chambersticks (2 brass 1 pewter), that should give me enough.

With all the candles I've been acquiring, I looked around and seen I only had 4 candlesticks. Lisa out and about called and found some old wrought iron candlesticks and brass and pewter chambersticks, she be bringing home 2 wrought iron candlesticks and 3 chambersticks (2 brass 1 pewter), that should give me enough.
I decided to go the lantern route over candles. Just recently I realized I didn't have any spare wicks. I got them stored with the extra lamp oil now but realized you need to consider the accessories too.

I decided to go the lantern route over candles. Just recently I realized I didn't have any spare wicks. I got them stored with the extra lamp oil now but realized you need to consider the accessories too.

I have a lot of lanterns gas and battery. fuel and batteries not a shortage here though candles just broaden our options plus they last longer storage wise.

I agree multiple options are always better, and having some source of light is not just practical but comforting as well.

We have about 2000 candles, at 4hrs a day using 4 candles a day should easily give me 3 months of candle usage, least that's my figuring (aka theory) plus a few in reserve in case I'm wrong.

We have about 2000 candles, at 4hrs a day using 4 candles a day should easily give me 3 months of candle usage, least that's my figuring (aka theory) plus a few in reserve in case I'm wrong.
One thing I try to consider with gauging prepping supply amounts is in a real emergency you will have more people to help than you would expect. Having more than you would think you could need may really help out one day. I have a feeling that friends and family will be showing up at your door in higher numbers than most think if things get rough for more than three weeks. I’m smart enough to know I can’t feed the world, but I’m not against trying to help a few.

So tomorrow we have been invited to a birthday party for the Marines. After working, I came home to put batting on the backside of a quilt and stencil the markings of butterflies for the boarder. Got my first line drawn when hunny calls to tell me and that he will be late and he promised I would make Deviled Eggs plus the cake. . . no prob Babe. Did his evening chores along with mine. When i checked on goats, little Ivy was caught upside down in the barn. I got her free, but she may have been there awhile. Yes i kicked myself for not checking when i got home. Poor babe had trouble standing. . . i was worried she may have broke something., but after a little while she was standing on her own. She was wobbly and walked to one side for a little bit. I picked her up to take her to get water not knowing how long she was there but she turned her nose up. I have been in and out checking on her and she has improved. Cake is made and eggs boiled. Tomorrow morning is when I will finish. Sorry but up at 4, the rest of the evening is mine. Need to finish, go to party, then birthday shop for grand daughter who is turning two. She will get the quilt I made for her bed, but she is also in need of clothes. Sunday is her party, but all this Nan has to do is show up with a couple gift ;).

So tomorrow we have been invited to a birthday party for the Marines. After working, I came home to put batting on the backside of a quilt and stencil the markings of butterflies for the boarder. Got my first line drawn when hunny calls to tell me and that he will be late and he promised I would make Deviled Eggs plus the cake. . . no prob Babe. Did his evening chores along with mine. When i checked on goats, little Ivy was caught upside down in the barn. I got her free, but she may have been there awhile. Yes i kicked myself for not checking when i got home. Poor babe had trouble standing. . . i was worried she may have broke something., but after a little while she was standing on her own. She was wobbly and walked to one side for a little bit. I picked her up to take her to get water not knowing how long she was there but she turned her nose up. I have been in and out checking on her and she has improved. Cake is made and eggs boiled. Tomorrow morning is when I will finish. Sorry but up at 4, the rest of the evening is mine. Need to finish, go to party, then birthday shop for grand daughter who is turning two. She will get the quilt I made for her bed, but she is also in need of clothes. Sunday is her party, but all this Nan has to do is show up with a couple gift ;).
I’m glad I don’t have your schedule! All I have to do is run a business and take care of a sick wife :confused: . Seriously, the next time someone volunteers the eggs some should be thrown at them. ;)

I’m glad I don’t have your schedule! All I have to do is run a business and take care of a sick wife :confused: . Seriously, the next time someone volunteers the eggs some should be thrown at them. ;)
My life is not normally hectic. . . only every once in a while. Just seems the days I go to work are the days when extras get thrown my way. Its like you have a plan but then things go a little differently. Keeps us young I guess.

Well the butcher didn't make it out this week due to the weather. He's going to try for next week. If the weather is still bad I'll haul the pigs down to the road with the tractor to meet the guy. I finished siding another outbuilding a few days ago, just have the roofing left to put on. Got the tiles down in the bathroom floor, will add trim today. Next week I'll get the studded tires put on all the vehicles, then I need to find some help to put the chains on the tractor. I can put the front chains on by myself but the rear set is more than I can handle alone. I'm going to start the barn extension next week. After it's finished I'll move everything down from the old barn. Got a guy interested in taking the old barn down in exchange for helping me with fencing next spring. It would be nice if winter would hold off for a couple of weeks so I can get everything done outside.

Latest posts

Back