This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like they make them when you order them. Made in the US, so we'll see how it works.
All I'm sure of is it's the best way to preserve. It changes the nutrition and flavor the least of all the ways known now and lasts the longest. I'm curious about energy usage as well. When you get it I would like to know what it pulls . My ultimate goal is to put enough solar in to run everything but AC. It's a lot more realistic of a goal for me as AC pretty much quadruples the cost of a system.

All I'm sure of is it's the best way to preserve. It changes the nutrition and flavor the least of all the ways known now and lasts the longest. I'm curious about energy usage as well. When you get it I would like to know what it pulls . My ultimate goal is to put enough solar in to run everything but AC. It's a lot more realistic of a goal for me as AC pretty much quadruples the cost of a system.

Have you looked at mini split units? Their usage isn't that much. We put one in our basement, mainly for humidity control and my utility bill went down since the main unit isn't trying to deal with the humidity any more.

You'd have to size it, but expense to run isn't there, and I bet that the draw will ant that much.

Last edited:
O
Have you looked at mini split units? Their sage isn't that much. We put one in our basement, mainly for humidity control and my utility bill went down since the main unit isn't trying to deal with the humidity any more.

You'd have to size it, but expense to run isn't there, and I bet that the draw will ant that much.
Good point, we learned during hurricanes to just cool a small area. Ours was the master bedroom with a small window unit. The whole house systems pull a lot of juice, so instead of trying to build a huge system that's a good way around the problem. I'm pretty sure I am going to build a tiny home on the back of the property here before too long. I'm thinking 16x36 with a full basement. The basement with a concrete ceiling might stay cool enough without AC with some luck.

O
Good point, we learned during hurricanes to just cool a small area. Ours was the master bedroom with a small window unit. The whole house systems pull a lot of juice, so instead of trying to build a huge system that's a good way around the problem. I'm pretty sure I am going to build a tiny home on the back of the property here before too long. I'm thinking 16x36 with a full basement. The basement with a concrete ceiling might stay cool enough without AC with some luck.

For our basement, we put in the smallest they made, and the basement is about 1000 SF.

It's a whole lot easier to sleep where it's comfortable, and the outside part is very quiet.

Well, I just finished another batch of pickles. I said the last batch was going to be my last. Now this ones going to be my last...... the darned vines just keep producing them! I just can't stop myself!!! Ok, back to normal now.
I also got another load of potatos in the dehydrator. Hopefully I'll have enough to dry can a load of pint jars of them before long. I really love sundays that I can just piddle around do whatever interests me at the moment!

What is this 'dry canning' I'm reading about and why do it?

What is this 'dry canning' I'm reading about and why do it?

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND IT: Dry canning is using an oven to heat jars of pasta, etc in a jar that you'd otherwise use for standard canning. It would kill any bugs or eggs made into the pasta or whatever.

You can also put the stuff in a jar, put an oxygen absorber in with it and put a lid on it.

When I googled it, it's the same as putting pasta into a Mylar bag with an oxy absorber, then sealing it.

I like Mylar. Thick Mylar won't break like a glass jar....

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND IT: Dry canning is using an oven to heat jars of pasta, etc in a jar that you'd otherwise use for standard canning. It would kill any bugs or eggs made into the pasta or whatever.

You can also put the stuff in a jar, put an oxygen absorber in with it and put a lid on it.

When I googled it, it's the same as putting pasta into a Mylar bag with an oxy absorber, then sealing it.

I like Mylar. Thick Mylar won't break like a glass jar....

Thanks for that, I did wonder.
I use canning jars and oxygen absorbers. Mylar bags are too expensive over here and I rotate my stores regularly so it's more convenient for me to use jars.

That works. We have a bug out spot, so we keep supplies at both places. Knowing us, we'd break a lot of the jars ;)

Hi Everyone, I'm new here but, I wanted to chime in on this thread. I recently bought a piece of land and am hoping the house I am building will be ready in August.

This is (obviously) the largest prep I have ever made. I am currently living in a subdivision in a small town and the houses are 30 feet from one another, there are so many rules, such as no generators, no gardens, etc.. plus there are not so nice areas very close and that makes me worry about spillover in a SHTF scenario.

So, we are further into the country in the new place, will have a deep well, it is in the woods that are loaded with potential food (deer), I can plant lots of food to keep us sustained (though we have tons of mountain house etc..).

So this is my largest prep but, I feel it was the best thing for my family. If I could just figure out how to can chicken without having it taste like tuna, I will be happy.

B

We haven't canned plain chicken in a long time. Danil54grl is the expert canner around here, maybe she can help.

We can chicken soup, and while it's not quite as good as fresh made, it isn't bad at all.

My wife bought a freeze dryer that should be here in a couple weeks. Curious to see how that works. I'd be happy (maybe) if I could get her to tell me how much it cost.....

We haven't canned plain chicken in a long time. Danil54grl is the expert canner around here, maybe she can help.

We can chicken soup, and while it's not quite as good as fresh made, it isn't bad at all.

My wife bought a freeze dryer that should be here in a couple weeks. Curious to see how that works. I'd be happy (maybe) if I could get her to tell me how much it cost.....

Ha! She sounds like a smart lady, I hear they are not cheap.

I just may be one of those people that isn't meant to can... I'm a great cook but, something always seems to go wrong when I try to can. It's very frustrating and expensive to continue failing at it :)

Ha! She sounds like a smart lady, I hear they are not cheap.

I just may be one of those people that isn't meant to can... I'm a great cook but, something always seems to go wrong when I try to can. It's very frustrating and expensive to continue failing at it :)

Fortunately for my wife, my Mom was still around when she started getting interested in canning. Otherwise, we'd be out of luck....

Went to some yard sales Saturday. Got a medical dictionary for .25 and a new edition of the Army Survival manual for .25.

I also bought a pop up camper for $150.00. The box is approximately 8' long and 6' wide, so its a smaller one. The guy opened the pop up Friday for the season and realized the roof had leaked so he put it up for sale. When we looked at it today (Saturday) you could tell it was more or less a fresh leak. I figured that if I could not repair it then I would make it so the top was a tent. As long as the crank lifting mechanism worked it would leave a lot of options.

The goal is to sell my 99 Coleman Utah Pop Up that I bought last summer for taking out to state land, replace it with the project pop up and then use all of the funds from the sale to help pay off my sons hospital bills. Not a fair trade off but you do what you have to do I guess.

I am going to start another thread on this and hopefully post pics about the journey. Heck, for the price of $150.00 I am going to camouflage it woodland when I am done. I am probably going to have my buddy do some welding jobs. Reinforce the bumper. Create or modify a bike carrier, weld some Jerry can mounts for water cans.

I have been searching for affordable rubbed Sage for a while now. Seemed like all of a sudden nobody carried it anymore except the big box stores that had the premium brands and the premium price. I found some ground Sage at Big Lots for $0.99 while not the same, its close enough. I bought all they had on the shelf. If you like homemade chicken soup and you do not put Sage in it you are missing out.

Went to some yard sales Saturday. Got a medical dictionary for .25 and a new edition of the Army Survival manual for .25.

I also bought a pop up camper for $150.00. The box is approximately 8' long and 6' wide, so its a smaller one. The guy opened the pop up Friday for the season and realized the roof had leaked so he put it up for sale. When we looked at it today (Saturday) you could tell it was more or less a fresh leak. I figured that if I could not repair it then I would make it so the top was a tent. As long as the crank lifting mechanism worked it would leave a lot of options.

The goal is to sell my 99 Coleman Utah Pop Up that I bought last summer for taking out to state land, replace it with the project pop up and then use all of the funds from the sale to help pay off my sons hospital bills. Not a fair trade off but you do what you have to do I guess.

I am going to start another thread on this and hopefully post pics about the journey. Heck, for the price of $150.00 I am going to camouflage it woodland when I am done. I am probably going to have my buddy do some welding jobs. Reinforce the bumper. Create or modify a bike carrier, weld some Jerry can mounts for water cans.

I have been searching for affordable rubbed Sage for a while now. Seemed like all of a sudden nobody carried it anymore except the big box stores that had the premium brands and the premium price. I found some ground Sage at Big Lots for $0.99 while not the same, its close enough. I bought all they had on the shelf. If you like homemade chicken soup and you do not put Sage in it you are missing out.
Check with some of your local grocery stores or health food. Some sell bulk seasonings. I know our local grocery sells it in the 'healthy living' section, just not sure what the price would be but lots child paper than the seasoning isle.

Check with some of your local grocery stores or health food. Some sell bulk seasonings. I know our local grocery sells it in the 'healthy living' section, just not sure what the price would be but lots child paper than the seasoning isle.
I swear this darn thing writes what it wants too. . . lots cheaper

Probably to much $. The $.99 for 1.5 oz is much better than the couple of dollars+ for .5 oz of McCormick Walmart sells.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back