This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really, it's only for an emergency downpour anyhow, so if he hardly ever uses it, it'll be fine.

The main "house" part, is a plastic playhouse I got for $10 at a yard sale.
I'll use a pallet as the base, with a flat chipboard piece on top of it for the floor. (I have a lot of spare material of this)
Then, chipboard roof (overhanging the house part), but covered with actual roofing paper and shingles (I have spare of this).
Not perfect, but cheap and functional (and has a good place for his water bowl). Nothing really to even buy here for me. Just the work of cutting the wood and putting it all together. (and eventually painting it all).

(not sure of the "technical" name for the chipboard. It isn't particle board (that would never survive here in FL), it's like plywood, but made up of wood chips instead, it looks like). It's pretty sturdy though, and I've used it before with no issue. (heavy too, it's nearly an inch thick).

i got me one of those small travel bags on wheels for $2.00 today.it has some green mold on it from sitting in a humid area for to long.but should clean up nicely.

Received a HMMVW parts
1 Two sets of compression springs,
2. Dust Boot Kit
3. Throttle kit
4. Two Break Shoe kits
5. Fuel Tank kit

300 rounds of 50 cal
500 rounds of 5.56
500 rounds of 308

Two bottles of Dalmore 28 and six bottles of Glenfiddich 30 for medicinal purposes for my bad back and legs.

Really, it's only for an emergency downpour anyhow, so if he hardly ever uses it, it'll be fine.

The main "house" part, is a plastic playhouse I got for $10 at a yard sale.
I'll use a pallet as the base, with a flat chipboard piece on top of it for the floor. (I have a lot of spare material of this)
Then, chipboard roof (overhanging the house part), but covered with actual roofing paper and shingles (I have spare of this).
Not perfect, but cheap and functional (and has a good place for his water bowl). Nothing really to even buy here for me. Just the work of cutting the wood and putting it all together. (and eventually painting it all).

(not sure of the "technical" name for the chipboard. It isn't particle board (that would never survive here in FL), it's like plywood, but made up of wood chips instead, it looks like). It's pretty sturdy though, and I've used it before with no issue. (heavy too, it's nearly an inch thick).
The chip board is called osb (oriented strand board). The flakes are layered in different directions as they are glued and pressed together. The brand called advantek is really good stuff as it's made with an almost water proof glue/resin. There are other brands that come apart when exposed to water or humidity and aren't worth the half price they sell for. I always said that if I still lived in Florida I would build the entire house, walls, roof, floors with the 3/4 advantek tung and groove to make it really hurricane resistant. I'm still a plywood fan, but the advanteks water resistance is far better.

Bob, try Irish Whisky its very smooth. Even English whisky is quite good these days

LOL...Northern,

Their is an old saying in my family, three reasons we left Ireland...it rains all the time, worse than Scotland, damn potatoes, potatoes for breakfast, potatoes for lunch and potatoes for dinner. I love potatoes, but I be dang if that is the only meal I will eat...granted, its on my list to plan if SHTF....they don't take up to much upkeep and grow anywhere. However, when it comes to whiskey, I draw the line, their was a reason my ancestors left for Scotland, the water is better there! We Irish do like to wee in the river. Hard part of being Catholic back in those days...we simply backed the wrong guys...and had to catch the boats three times to America. One reason, why I am the only one in Texas and the rest are in New York or the Carolinas. So when I did my tour in East Anglia...dang it if I didn't find my root back up in Ireland and Scotland, alas when it comes to these lips, it is Single malt Scotch Whiskey....not the Irish or English stuff....

Now if ye be talkin about Ale....give me some Green King Brewery any day! Darn it now see what ye have done, started making my eyes water and my lips salivate over that great ale. :) No, American ale houses don't have Green King! Oh how I wish for a pint today.

well,i've made a rough sketch of the hall closet,that'll be used as a safe place from tornadoes.then took the needed measurements.and hopefully the cost of it wont be to much..a good deal of the stuff thats on the closet floor will go onto the shelve.and hopefully that'll be added protection.

IMG.jpg

Received a HMMVW parts
1 Two sets of compression springs,
2. Dust Boot Kit
3. Throttle kit
4. Two Break Shoe kits
5. Fuel Tank kit

300 rounds of 50 cal
500 rounds of 5.56
500 rounds of 308

Two bottles of Dalmore 28 and six bottles of Glenfiddich 30 for medicinal purposes for my bad back and legs.
Good choice on the Scotch. That's one of my favorite brands. It goes good with a Cohiba Behike.

The wife enjoyed the Black and Tan ciders. Blackberry or Elderberry were two of her favorites. Nothing like a Sheppard's pie. I sure did enjoy my bangers and mash. Possibly the best breakfast I ever had was up in Edinburgh, we stayed at a bed and breakfast with the entire family, including my wife's mother who came stateside (what a feat for her, since she was afraid of flying and she did that after my wife's dad passed on). Besides our treating them to Disneyland, she enjoyed Scotland most of all. She thought London too busy for her, but she loved the quaint cottage we lived in East Anglia.

Well enough of England, don't want to sabotage the thread

Oh and today, placed the dust kit on the hummer and will get around to doing the brakes soon.

Also picked up today, three 10 gallon gas cans and a handpump at Harbor Freight.

The wife enjoyed the Black and Tan ciders. Blackberry or Elderberry were two of her favorites. Nothing like a Sheppard's pie. I sure did enjoy my bangers and mash. Possibly the best breakfast I ever had was up in Edinburgh, we stayed at a bed and breakfast with the entire family, including my wife's mother who came stateside (what a feat for her, since she was afraid of flying and she did that after my wife's dad passed on). Besides our treating them to Disneyland, she enjoyed Scotland most of all. She thought London too busy for her, but she loved the quaint cottage we lived in East Anglia.

Well enough of England, don't want to sabotage the thread
Most Britt food was too bland for me, and warm beer??? What's the matter with those people? I liked Scotland much better too.

LOL...Northern,

Their is an old saying in my family, three reasons we left Ireland...it rains all the time, worse than Scotland, damn potatoes, potatoes for breakfast, potatoes for lunch and potatoes for dinner. I love potatoes, but I be dang if that is the only meal I will eat...granted, its on my list to plan if SHTF....they don't take up to much upkeep and grow anywhere. However, when it comes to whiskey, I draw the line, their was a reason my ancestors left for Scotland, the water is better there! We Irish do like to wee in the river. Hard part of being Catholic back in those days...we simply backed the wrong guys...and had to catch the boats three times to America. One reason, why I am the only one in Texas and the rest are in New York or the Carolinas. So when I did my tour in East Anglia...dang it if I didn't find my root back up in Ireland and Scotland, alas when it comes to these lips, it is Single malt Scotch Whiskey....not the Irish or English stuff....

Now if ye be talkin about Ale....give me some Green King Brewery any day! Darn it now see what ye have done, started making my eyes water and my lips salivate over that great ale. :) No, American ale houses don't have Green King! Oh how I wish for a pint today.
That Geen King Ale of yours is just plain bottled Liffy water, you need to visit SA if you want any decent ale, beer or larger. [emoji1]

Most Britt food was too bland for me, and warm beer??? What's the matter with those people? I liked Scotland much better too.
Warm beer is a southern UK thing, if you gave warm beer to a Northerner or Midlander you would get beaten up badly, I'll take you to a northern curry house next time your here.

Coors and Bud is what we clean our glasses with as its not fit to drink.

Warm beer is a southern UK thing, if you gave warm beer to a Northerner or Midlander you would get beaten up badly, I'll take you to a northern curry house next time your here.

Coors and Bud is what we clean our glasses with as its not fit to drink.
I can drink a little wine at room temperature, but with beer, the colder the better. I only drink one every few months now, but do really like it. Damned blood pressure! I do have a glass or red wine every night though, even if it's only marginally better on the BP. I use a glass of wine like I do a cup of coffee. One gets you up and one puts you down.

I did some weeding and fertilizing in the garden today. I also replanted the spots that didn't germinate. I had one whole area that didn't grow well, so I planted more corn there. It was the old chicken pen, and I'm guessing the nitrogen was still pretty high there. Should be good for the corn though. I'm really excited to start canning stuff again! That reminds me, I have a lot of beets to pickle. I really love pickeled beets. This year I did a huge potatoe patch, loads of carrots, sweet peas, beans, corn, cucumbers, squash, beets, tomatoes, onions, my first time for turnips, (still not sure what to do with them), okra, lettuce, celery, spinache, asparagus, collards, (another first for me, and not sure what to do with them), colliflower, and broccoli. I'm trying to vary things each season, and as stated am trying some new things now. The staples are potatoe, green beans, carrots, cukes, okra, and tomatoes for canning. I like having those in the pantry for use all year. By the way, last year was the first time I ever grew potatoes, and not only did thy thrive, but they tasted really good (way better than storebought). They are going to be another of my mainstream foods from now on. I like that they that take low effort and produce lots of results.

well,i've made a rough sketch of the hall closet,that'll be used as a safe place from tornadoes.then took the needed measurements.and hopefully the cost of it wont be to much..a good deal of the stuff thats on the closet floor will go onto the shelve.and hopefully that'll be added protection.

View attachment 5761
I've often thought that framing the walls, ceiling and floors with 2x6's would make a pretty good storm shelter. Basically, remove the Sheetrock and fill in all the spaces between the studs with more studs tightly spaced together. Not as good as poured concrete, but a lot cheaper and easier. Basically, think of a box built with finger joints, and interlink the 2x6's the same way, with glue, nails or screws holding it all together. The door could be built with 2x6's as well. Most home improvement stores make 'cull' packages, selling ugly boards at half off. You could work with those since they won't be seen later on anyways.

i figure that id find out which direction tornadoes come from.and the direction they normally go in..then simply add ply-wood that/those wall(s).then redo the shelve that we'll be sitting under.and of course,use the proper screws when doing all of that..

I've often thought that framing the walls, ceiling and floors with 2x6's would make a pretty good storm shelter. Basically, remove the Sheetrock and fill in all the spaces between the studs with more studs tightly spaced together. Not as good as poured concrete, but a lot cheaper and easier. Basically, think of a box built with finger joints, and interlink the 2x6's the same way, with glue, nails or screws holding it all together. The door could be built with 2x6's as well. Most home improvement stores make 'cull' packages, selling ugly boards at half off. You could work with those since they won't be seen later on anyways.
Screws and Glue NO NAILS. I visited a small place in KS a few weeks after a tornado pased through it, NO NAIL, Screws, Glue, Huge sodding great Rawl Bolts, but not glue.

Latest posts

Back