This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at getting a solar powered deep well pump for my place. Found an outfit in Oklahoma that sells a system that will pump 5.5 gpm and comes with 4 - 250 watt solar panels. The well is 650 feet deep and the house site is 1,000 feet away, so I'm limited on finding pumps that will deliver more than 5.5 gpm. Maybe in a couple of years I'll drill another well closer to the house and use this well just for watering livestock.

Would be interested to see what you find. I'm hoping to convert mine to solar within 4 years myself. I don't think it's too deep (have to check into that), but it is right by the house at least. Would sure beat using an emergency bullet bucket.

My other option is a propane generator, but solar would be nice. (hell, maybe even both eventually)

I am really good at scavenging scrap and cheap materials and working them into something I like. It would be nice to just have a lot of money to buy whatever you want, but it wouldn't be as satisfying to me. I like giving old and discarded stuff new life.

Dude, you are the KING of that, that is for sure....

Would be interested to see what you find. I'm hoping to convert mine to solar within 4 years myself. I don't think it's too deep (have to check into that), but it is right by the house at least. Would sure beat using an emergency bullet bucket.

My other option is a propane generator, but solar would be nice. (hell, maybe even both eventually)

The system that I'm looking at will run around $6k for the pump, solar panels and all wires and connections.

www.solarpumps.com/

Depending on how deep your well is and the distance you need to pump, your system could be cheaper. I'm going to add a battery bank and inverter so the pump will still function after dark and on cloudy days.

I considered going with a propane generator for backup, but have decided on going with diesel. Everything considered a diesel is a better choice for my whole house application. Some smaller air cooled generators don't come with idle control and the power isn't clean enough to run some electronics. I'm going with a 12 kw liquid cooled Perkins diesel from Hardydiesel.com. Like everything else, I'm trying to buy stuff that won't break down or wear out after only a few years.

I considered going with a propane generator for backup, but have decided on going with diesel. Everything considered a diesel is a better choice for my whole house application

What's the solution for preventing the stored diesel from going bad? Stabil? Or is the plan to just constantly use diesel? Even then, post SHTF, you'll have a limited usage life of it. That's why I prefer propane. Doesn't go bad.

Originally, I was looking at diesel too, mostly because I also have a diesel truck, which has a huge auxiliary tank, and I plan on having a storage tank as well...but the shelf-life issue was the kicker.

What's the solution for preventing the stored diesel from going bad? Stabil? Or is the plan to just constantly use diesel? Even then, post SHTF, you'll have a limited usage life of it. That's why I prefer propane. Doesn't go bad.

Originally, I was looking at diesel too, mostly because I also have a diesel truck, which has a huge auxiliary tank, and I plan on having a storage tank as well...but the shelf-life issue was the kicker.
Diesel storage life isn't what it used to be, especially if you have to use government mandated ULSD. Optimal storage life for diesel now days is about 12 months. I'll be using off-road diesel, which could last a little longer, and until SHTF, I'll be using enough to keep if fresh. For long term storage of diesel you'll want to add fuel stabilizers, anti-oxidants, water controllers and fungicides/biocides to your tank. This could prolong the life of your diesel by up to 10 years. After I get the solar and wind system up and running I shouldn't need to run the generator that much and my fuel usage would go way down, except for in the tractor and sawmill. In a post SHTF situation and the diesel runs out we shouldn't notice much difference.

I had a great weekend! I turned 52, yuk, but spent the day with the kids, which brought ribeyes, yeah! We worked some, talked some, ate alot, and drank more beers than I should have. I built the first fire in the fireplace this season today as well. My main goal was to work on the porch interior this weekend. I got the walls insulated, and most of the interior wall siding up. It feels good to see progress. I wanted to get the flue cut through the roof, but the weatherman lied and it never quit raining! Oh well, it's got to stop someday :). I used conduit for the exposed wiring for two ceiling fans, which wasn't exactly what I had in mind for a rustic country look, but it was the best I could think of at the moment. I'll prime and paint it later. As I said, am just glad to see progress, even with a rainy weekend.View attachment 4799View attachment 4800 View attachment 4801
Yeah, I got the flu installed today! It's still got a little trim to install, but is weathertight and ready for a fire. I want to light one tonight in the stove, but it's not that cold here tonight. Patience. :).

This will be the first year we try out the fireplace. If we actually get a day that gets cold enough. Either way, we're doing it for Christmas, cold or not. I'll have to post a pic of it, after we get all festive. One holiday at a time, hehe...

This will be the first year we try out the fireplace. If we actually get a day that gets cold enough. Either way, we're doing it for Christmas, cold or not. I'll have to post a pic of it, after we get all festive. One holiday at a time, hehe...
I think I lit my wood burning stove down there twice! A real fireplace should be a little less intense.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Yeah, the stove is ready for the first fire. It's only supposed to be in the low 40's tonight, but I'll set it up tonight and light it first thing in the morning. One of the reasons I love finishing a project is it frees me up to start two more :confused:.

Well, I lit the stove for the first time tonight. The good part, the house didn't catch fire, and it puts out a LOT of heat with just a tiny bit of wood. The bad part is I smoked the heck out of the house! I had to open some windows and run a fan to get it breathable again, not to mention setting off smoke alarms. Some of it was an oil residue burning off the new flue parts, and some was just leaving the damper closed when I lit it. Oops :). Anyways, it's reheating the house back up now. I probably got the equivalent of a couple packs of cigarettes in my lungs, but am no worse for wear. The pit sure didn't enjoy the smoke alarm much.

One new thing I'm doing is trying to learn to eat different foods, in case things get tough later on. Anyone ever had a cup of toad? Jk. My wife rescues all types of little critters. This little guy is blind, eyes shrunken, and would have died if not for intervention. Hamburger on a toothpick, and a warm safe old aquarium and this little guy is doing well.
image.jpg

Wow. I am amazed at how much more efficient the cast iron stove is. I've used them, and this one before, but it's been a while. The fireplace is crap for heating, mayby its romantic and appealing, but it took a pile of wood to heat just the living room. This small stove puts out 10 times the heat. Hopefully my electric bill will go down this winter. Even more, I won't burn up all my firewood as fast. Espechially since I still split by hand! One more plus, this has a flat top for cooking. Since its out of the main house, I could cook even in the summer on it with all the windows open. I guess it's time to clean up the regular fireplace and just stage it for looks.

Looking at getting a solar powered deep well pump for my place. Found an outfit in Oklahoma that sells a system that will pump 5.5 gpm and comes with 4 - 250 watt solar panels. The well is 650 feet deep and the house site is 1,000 feet away, so I'm limited on finding pumps that will deliver more than 5.5 gpm. Maybe in a couple of years I'll drill another well closer to the house and use this well just for watering livestock.
The volume isn't too important if you offset it with a large tank. I'd really like to get a well here. With two creeks I have water, but a deep well is safer to drink, even with good filters. Here we have granite under ground. It's slow drilling and has to be deep, so it's not in the budget anytime soon.

My water table in central fla was 78 ft. I was on a sand bar/ridge, so was deeper than average there. You. Won't have to pump very high there. I new a guy from homestead that worked on the large farms there. He said they would take a large auger bit and drill three feet down. It would fill up fast enough to drop in a large portable sprinkler and wouldn't run dry.

as of today I'll keep two fully loaded mags to my 10/22 and my 12ga is loaded with buck-slug-buck-slug combo.
yup,from me,I have a center with these illegals 2 klicks away,comforting isn't it?

as of today I'll keep two fully loaded mags to my 10/22 and my 12ga is loaded with buck-slug-buck-slug combo.
yup,from me,I have a center with these illegals 2 klicks away,comforting isn't it?
I think you're wise to have protection at the ready all the time anyways. I really don't think you're going to have an all out war, and feel you're probably pretty safe in your home. It's public places that can and will be targets of terrorists. I also don't think they will be an everyday occurrence either, but will be a reality in the coming years. With all the new refugees in your area, which are unemployed, you're probably much more at risk from common crimes.

for that (burglaries) I have a security lock on my door and around 100 pounds of teeth too,lovely guy to strangers with me,when I'm there too unless he senses I'm anxious or threatened,then his behaviour changes and out comes that lovely "smile" which says; I'll rip you to shreads if you come here :)
for some other types of crimes I carry my EDC stuff,you know knife,mace,that kind of stuff.

for that (burglaries) I have a security lock on my door and around 100 pounds of teeth too,lovely guy to strangers with me,when I'm there too unless he senses I'm anxious or threatened,then his behaviour changes and out comes that lovely "smile" which says; I'll rip you to shreads if you come here :)
for some other types of crimes I carry my EDC stuff,you know knife,mace,that kind of stuff.
I really like the teeth! I just wish mine were a little tougher! The good things about the dogs are when your away they are still on the job.

Latest posts

Back