"Lights Out" Ted Koppel

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did read a long time ago that if the power grid goes down, that's the British power grid, no transformers or other parts are kept in stock, its down to the old "just in time" delivery method again, it would take about 3 months to order, make and ship each individual part, if more than just one has failed it would take 2 years to replace the entire system, that's 2 years without power, not only would the economy be down the pan by that time but about 90% of the population would have died of starvation, dehydration, disease and violence.
One of our Brit preppers had posted once that they had more people on the island than they could support, that is food produced in country to feed their own people. I think that was what was stated. Can't remember who or when though. But I remember being surprised and thought; gee that is really scary.

One of our Brit preppers had posted once that they had more people on the island than they could support, that is food produced in country to feed their own people. I think that was what was stated. Can't remember who or when though. But I remember being surprised and thought; gee that is really scary.
that was me!:p

The problem, it takes fuel, power and technology to produce food for the masses, all it would take is for an disruption in fuel or power to prevent the US from feeding it's own people, Britain is in the same boat. Right now Britain produces about 80% of it's own food but that is shrinking, the UK exports about $67 billion in food forcing import needs, the US exports $166 billion in food but it produces way more than it needs unlike Britain, some data shows in 2050 Britain will produce only 54% of it's own food. Right now Britain is not food self sufficient even without exporting food.

it depends who you ask but Britain is about 68% self sufficient in food but that decreases year on year as land becomes less productive and we build more houses on green belt land, of the remainder about half is imported from Europe the rest from around the world.
I don't think Britain has ever been self sufficient, even in pre Roman times we were importing and exporting to the known world that's how the Romans knew we were here and they wanted what we had.
post SHTF where no imports are available we would only be able to feed a fraction of our population as most fertilisers and pesticides are imported.

The problem, it takes fuel, power and technology to produce food for the masses, all it would take is for an disruption in fuel or power to prevent the US from feeding it's own people, Britain is in the same boat. Right now Britain produces about 80% of it's own food but that is shrinking, the UK exports about $67 billion in food forcing import needs, the US exports $166 billion in food but it produces way more than it needs unlike Britain, some data shows in 2050 Britain will produce only 54% of it's own food. Right now Britain is not food self sufficient even without exporting food.
I wonder how many people there have the capability to raise their own, certainly not the city populations.

it depends who you ask but Britain is about 68% self sufficient in food but that decreases year on year as land becomes less productive and we build more houses on green belt land, of the remainder about half is imported from Europe the rest from around the world.
I don't think Britain has ever been self sufficient, even in pre Roman times we were importing and exporting to the known world that's how the Romans knew we were here and they wanted what we had.
post SHTF where no imports are available we would only be able to feed a fraction of our population as most fertilisers and pesticides are imported.
That is a heck of a predicament to consider being in.

That is a heck of a predicament to consider being in.
like I said I don't think Britain has ever been 100% self sufficient, it will at least cut down the population to manageable levels, given the land acreage available we can only feed about 25% of the current population, that will decrease even further without imported fertilisers and pesticides as a lot of ground is mono cropped- the same crop in the same field year after year after year.

like I said I don't think Britain has ever been 100% self sufficient, it will at least cut down the population to manageable levels, given the land acreage available we can only feed about 25% of the current population, that will decrease even further without imported fertilisers and pesticides as a lot of ground is mono cropped- the same crop in the same field year after year after year.
You would think with less land there would be better management, crop rotation for one.

crop rotation was what happened in the 1960s when farms were smaller, these days with the larger farms its all about mono cropping with high use of imported fertilisers and pesticides.
the same crops are grown in the same fields year after year after year and the only way that is possible is by using lots of imported chemicals otherwise the land would be barren.
post SHTF a lot of land wont be useable as it will be infertile.
the mortality rate will be huge. possibly as much as 90% within the first year.

Last edited:
crop rotation was what happened in the 1960s when farms were smaller, these days with the larger farms its all about mono cropping with high use of imported fertilisers and pesticides.
the same crops are grown in the same fields year after year after year and the only way that is possible is by using lots of imported chemicals otherwise the land would be barren.
post SHTF a lot of land wont be useable as it will be infertile.
the mortality rate will be huge. possibly as much as 90% within the first year.
Terrifying.

All the farms near me still do rotation. I know as I constantly see the different crops as I drive by. They are smaller though, probably like 10-200 acres (and the 200 one has half their land used for cattle).

a 100 acre farm was a big farm here in the 60s, my wife worked on many of them, but these days that would be classed as a hobby farm.
its all hill farming- livestock not arable- near me, you have to go about 20 miles to see crop farming, I pass them on my travels, we also have a lot of solar farms in this area.

Latest posts

Back