Least popular Thanksgiving foods....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my wife had 2/3 of her stomach and 1/4 of her esophagus from cancer, she can eat normally, but she has to eat less, slowly, chew more, AND NO ONIONS.
She will get cramps and belly pains for hours now. Dried onions are ok, just no fresh ones....my favorite. GP

Lunch with the whole family, my grandson turned 3 day before yesterday and the wife and I just conjured up some favorite rolled and stuffed cabbage rolls. Stuffed with pork, bacon, garlic, carrots, onions and spices...
lunch.JPG

Since my wife had 2/3 of her stomach and 1/4 of her esophagus from cancer, she can eat normally, but she has to eat less, slowly, chew more, AND NO ONIONS.
She will get cramps and belly pains for hours now. Dried onions are ok, just no fresh ones....my favorite. GP
I have to saute onions first then I can use them in things like spaghetti, otherwise they give me cramps and the runs.

Fortunately we have Georgia Vidalia onions here, at least when they are in season. With a good Vidalia, you can eat it like an apple it's so sweet and mild. The secret is to pick those that are wide and flat, the flatter the better. Those don't bother me at all. But they are out of season now, and so I have to be careful with onions.

The one at the lower right is what you want to look for.
Vidalia-onions-whole1-e1430151951646.jpg

Never take good health for granted and always appreciate what you do have.

Fortunately we have Georgia Vidalia onions here, at least when they are in season. With a good Vidalia, you can eat it like an apple it's so sweet and mild. The secret is to pick those that are wide and flat, the flatter the better. Those don't bother me at all. But they are out of season now, and so I have to be careful with onions.

The one at the lower right is what you want to look for.
Vidalia-onions-whole1-e1430151951646.jpg
I’ve sprinkled then with a bit of salt and eaten them like that. Very mild flavor

Send me some seeds, please...
"Vidalia Onion" is like saying "Bordeaux Wine." It's not a specific variety, it's where they are grown because the climate and soil where they are grown has a lot to do with it. In fact a "Vidalia Onion" could be any one of a number of varieties of onions grown in the following Georgia counties: Emanuel, Candler, Treutlen, Bulloch, Wheeler, Montgomery, Evans, Tattnall, Toombs, Telfair, Jeff Davis, Appling, and Bacon. And portions of Jenkins, Screven, Laurens, Dodge, Pierce, Wayne, and Long counties.

Georgia passed a law against selling onions grown outside those 20 counties as "Vidalia Onions" but it doesn't carry legal weight outside Georgia.

One of the most common is "Yellow Granix" and you can buy those seeds on Amazon.
But if they are grown outside of the designated 20 Georgia counties, they are just "Yellow Granix" onions, not "Vidalia Onions".

https://www.amazon.com/Vidalia-Yell...ords=vidalia+onion+seed&qid=1574619899&sr=8-2

Since my wife is going to be home for Thanksgiving (day after actually) she called and asked me to get a ham out of the freezer. The first bag that I grabbed was full of frozen mice. She really didn't see the humor in me keeping frozen mice in the freezer. She understands that I grind them up for coyote bait, but didn't like the idea of them being in the cabin freezer.

OOPS; should start to be cold enough to freeze the mice outside. Kinda understand the wife tho. Did you at least give the mice a bath before you froze them?????

OOPS; should start to be cold enough to freeze the mice outside. Kinda understand the wife tho. Did you at least give the mice a bath before you froze them?????
Ha. Yeah. The ones I catch in summer get a water bath before being frozen. This time of year they're pre-frozen. Next step is the food processor. (Not the wife's. I have my own)

Latest posts

Back