Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have various amaranth planted, all along my fence and declarative garden around my house. Its also wonderful that there edible, its time for a salad.

Should I admit I don’t know what a declarative garden is? Been temped with amaranth. It looks so small you would have to have a zillion planted...but I actually have no idea. Have you harvested it Rellgar?

The asparagus won’t produce this year. It takes about three to four years to really start producing well. When picked fresh, like most things, the flavor is so much better. I will pick and roast some for dinner today.

Yummy! My son has grown asparagus for years now and he always gets a bunch of it. Says it spreads by itself. Enjoy your fresh asparagus!

No spears yet in either asparagus bed but both are established beds so it should not be much longer. My husband worked on the chicken coop extension most of the day. The fruit trees (peaches and plums) for the most part are finished blooming but the azaleas are just starting to open. The potato bed is really popping up now. Garlic also looks great. The peonies are coming up and look healthy the irises also have buds. The day lilies are leafing out . Should be a good year for the flowers. If I'm stuck at home at least I have lots of flowers:D

Should I not say I've been harvesting asparagus for a while now :oops:. . . . sorry ladies, but I am in zone 9.

BUT, we are expecting some storms tomorrow afternoon/night and then again on Easter Sunday with possible hail. . . . :rolleyes:

That is just upsetting. Most everything is either popping out of the ground or getting well established right now. The corn that just got planted a few days ago are almost an inch high right now. I know it is always a gamble planting early, so my plan is to get out all my coffee cans and gallon milk jugs that I have saved stashed out in the gardening shed and protect as much as I can. The tomatoes and peppers will get tarped since I have poles next to them to hold it off the plant. The beans will get some kind of poles so I can tarp those too.

Should I not say I've been harvesting asparagus for a while now :oops:. . . . sorry ladies, but I am in zone 9.

BUT, we are expecting some storms tomorrow afternoon/night and then again on Easter Sunday with possible hail. . . . :rolleyes:

That is just upsetting. Most everything is either popping out of the ground or getting well established right now. The corn that just got planted a few days ago are almost an inch high right now. I know it is always a gamble planting early, so my plan is to get out all my coffee cans and gallon milk jugs that I have saved stashed out in the gardening shed and protect as much as I can. The tomatoes and peppers will get tarped since I have poles next to them to hold it off the plant. The beans will get some kind of poles so I can tarp those too.
I'm in zone 6B so I have a bit to be safe. Low 30's Friday and Saturday anyway. I will wait my turn.

The asparagus won’t produce this year. It takes about three to four years to really start producing well. When picked fresh, like most things, the flavor is so much better. I will pick and roast some for dinner today.
I've never grown asparagus before. I honestly didn't even know that it grows for more than one year. :eek:
I did see the first cucumber sprouts this morning while watering! Nothing else yet but soon hopefully.
My cucumber plants are sprouted. I'm about to cover the pots with mulch now. I got some fiber mulch that is supposed to be good for container gardens.

No spears yet in either asparagus bed but both are established beds so it should not be much longer. My husband worked on the chicken coop extension most of the day. The fruit trees (peaches and plums) for the most part are finished blooming but the azaleas are just starting to open. The potato bed is really popping up now. Garlic also looks great. The peonies are coming up and look healthy the irises also have buds. The day lilies are leafing out . Should be a good year for the flowers. If I'm stuck at home at least I have lots of flowers:D
One of these days I may plant something just for beauty. I’ve always said if I’m digging a hole and watering a plant it better have the ability to feed me....
I spent a couple hours digging up more blueberries and moving them down to the bottom of the hill. Then I got the sprinkler going for them. It’s allready dry here again. No complaints though as we had nonstop rain for too long.

I've never grown asparagus before. I honestly didn't even know that it grows for more than one year. :eek:

My cucumber plants are sprouted. I'm about to cover the pots with mulch now. I got some fiber mulch that is supposed to be good for container gardens.
It comes back every year. It took about three years before I actually got to eat any though. I’ve tried to grow in containers a couple times but if you don’t keep up with the watering it can dry out really fast.

An asparagus bed will produce for around 15 years. . . I planted mine probably 8 years ago and it is still going. . . comes back every year.

It comes back every year. It took about three years before I actually got to eat any though. I’ve tried to grow in containers a couple times but if you don’t keep up with the watering it can dry out really fast.

When we lived in the Midwest it grew wild in the ditches. People would forage it up and down the country roads. I have 2 healthy patches where I live now and it does not grow as prolifically here but does okay. It is a really heavy feeder though with very deep roots.

When we lived in the Midwest it grew wild in the ditches. People would forage it up and down the country roads. I have 2 healthy patches where I live now and it does not grow as prolifically here but does okay. It is a really heavy feeder though with very deep roots.
I would probably be better off planting it as a weed somewhere nearby than in pots probably. I am considering doing that with mint because it seems to grow really well around here (my friend's garden was taken over by it) I could "accidentally" scatter a packet of mint seeds in the yard area and see how it grows.

I would probably be better off planting it as a weed somewhere nearby than in pots probably. I am considering doing that with mint because it seems to grow really well around here (my friend's garden was taken over by it) I could "accidentally" scatter a packet of mint seeds in the yard area and see how it grows.

At my old farm I had a mint bed along the side of the barn. Would mow it off regularly. weed eat it, feed it to the chickens and still have plenty to dry for tea. Here I have it in a big oak half barrel on rocks.

Someone asked if all squash plant were vining. . . I thought it may have been @GeorgiaPeachie but I maybe wrong. I couldn't find the post tonight, since it was in another thread. I plant straight neck yellow squash, zucchini and patty squash that I would consider a bush type plant. The banana, spaghetti, butternut are ones that I do that vine and planted on a trellis this season. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to experiment this year since I feel like this is a very important year but in years past the have climbed up on my put her fence of the garden with good luck.

Last edited:
At my old farm I had a mint bed along the side of the barn. Would mow it off regularly. weed eat it, feed it to the chickens and still have plenty to dry for tea. Here I have it in a big oak half barrel on rocks.
I planted mint one year as a ground cover and it worked out great for a front flower bed but then we had snow twice that year and it never came back and I have not replaced it since.

I planted mint one year as a ground cover and it worked out great for a front flower bed but then we had snow twice that year and it never came back and I have not replaced it since.

I planted sweet mint last year for the bees. IT Didn't Come back. My most prolific is Lemon Balm.

Someone asked if all squash plant were vining. . . I thought it may have been @GeorgiaPeachie but I maybe wrong. I couldn't find the post tonight, since it was in another thread. I plant straight neck yellow squash, zucchini and patty squash that I would consider a bush type plant. The banana, spaghetti, butternut are ones that I do that vine and planted on a trellis this season. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to experiment this year since I feel like this is a very important year but in years past the have climbed up on my put her fence of the garden with good luck.

I plant Crook Neck yellow squash and Black Beauty green zucchini

I just saw where some local and state authorities are stopping the sale of all seeds and gardening equipment. Anyone see this?

It was by Todd Starnes. I'm going to google.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...essential-items-for-sale-mall-walking-crowds/

Employees at some Metro Detroit stores said they are concerned about the possible spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) because nonessential items are still for sale and customers are “mall-walking” and passing time inside stores, creating crowds.

Stores such as Lowe’s and Home Depot remain open because they sell essential items, but they’re getting crowded by customers buying nonessential items, including gardening supplies.

At Lowe’s in Madison Heights, Local 4 cameras captured shoppers buying rakes, mulch and garden supplies. At Home Depot, there were large crowds and long lines, with many people buying nonessential items.

Latest posts

Back