Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday my hunny decided to take the skid steer out to the front pasture to smooth things out more before the rains start later this week. We had opened that pasture up to the goats a couple weeks ago once it had dried out enough that the babies wouldn't get bogged down and stuck in the mud. When hunny was done, he forgot to close that gate so of coarse goats are going to take advantage of this and they all escaped to the front yard and eventually got into my garden. . . Got them all back in with hunny's help. A couple hours later, they are all out again! When hunny was helping, he had opened up the middle pasture gate while I opened the main goat pasture gate since that is the gate they are used to going into. Got them all back in. . . he forgot to close the middle gate. . . .yes I was frustrated by that time. All three pastures for the goats are connected to one another with either a pass thru or a gate and all are open to each other right now. Fast forward to this morning, I had 2 bucks out, who apparently now thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fense and jumped out.

After taking inventory of what is missing/damaged out in the garden, I will need to replant a couple zucchini, a couple cantaloupe, 1 honeydew and 1 Roma tomato plant. I guess it could have been worse. . .

This is why I no longer have goats:D

So yesterday my hunny decided to take the skid steer out to the front pasture to smooth things out more before the rains start later this week. We had opened that pasture up to the goats a couple weeks ago once it had dried out enough that the babies wouldn't get bogged down and stuck in the mud. When hunny was done, he forgot to close that gate so of coarse goats are going to take advantage of this and they all escaped to the front yard and eventually got into my garden. . . Got them all back in with hunny's help. A couple hours later, they are all out again! When hunny was helping, he had opened up the middle pasture gate while I opened the main goat pasture gate since that is the gate they are used to going into. Got them all back in. . . he forgot to close the middle gate. . . .yes I was frustrated by that time. All three pastures for the goats are connected to one another with either a pass thru or a gate and all are open to each other right now. Fast forward to this morning, I had 2 bucks out, who apparently now thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fense and jumped out.

After taking inventory of what is missing/damaged out in the garden, I will need to replant a couple zucchini, a couple cantaloupe, 1 honeydew and 1 Roma tomato plant. I guess it could have been worse. . .
Sorry you had the extra work from this but at least you had it happen early on and have time to replant.

A friend of mine planted grapes all along his fences. They finally got established and started producing. He got the idea to raise a few goats. When he brought them home it took about two days and he noticed there were no more grapevines.....

Not just that they eat your plants. We had goats and there was a nice small shed barn on our old property. So my husband fences it in and makes a goat enclosure. The damn goats ate the siding off the barn (T1-11) When we sold the goats we made a great profit on them. My husband says never again will we have goats. All the profit went to re siding the barn. ( he bought the goats by the way, one of those I told you so moments)

I guess it's a good thing all of our barns are made out of metal. . . Sheet metal and old garage door panels. Even a couple roll up garage doors. Makes for quick installation. I love my goats and their personalities. I just wish my hunny learned how to shut gates. . .
All animals take time and effort to keep them from hurting themselves and other things. I like the old saying of if your new puppy pees on the carpet take a newspaper and roll it up real tight. Then hit yourself over the head with it for not taking the dog out enough....

A friend of mine planted grapes all along his fences. They finally got established and started producing. He got the idea to raise a few goats. When he brought them home it took about two days and he noticed there were no more grapevines.....
goats can and will eat everything they can just about. Including bark off some tress. If you have them, just got to make sure you have enough pasture and hay for them to eat and don't plant anything you want to keep where they can get to it. It was my fault they got into the garden. I left my gate to the garden open yesterday. . . apparently we both have issues getting gates shut that day.

I spent the whole day working in the yard today. Am whooped but satisfied. Unfortunately I have about two more weeks worth of stuff to do out there! My septic drain field started leaking out some on a hill in the front of the property. Since there are blueberry bushes on that hill I’m more concerned than normally. So, my plan is I’m relocating several blueberries and will trench in another line of the infiltrator domed septic sections. I have several units as I bought them when a place had them on clearance for next to nothing. Of course there was a fence line right there that had to be moved and a jungle had grown up all over it too. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. This will be a multi day project. After I bury the chambers then I need to bring up more dirt to make sure this doesn't happen again. Good time to expand the pond for some fill dirt. Luckily I have a Kubota tractor with a backhoe and front loader to help out. I put the septic in when I built the house but had rented a big backhoe for the job. Now I’m working with my small tractor but it will get the job done, just slower. I knew the corner of the septic field was a little close to that steep hill when I was do it the first time, but was hard pressed for any level ground to work with here.. When your gut feeling tells you something isn’t right you should listen to it. As they sat it’s a shxxty job but somebody’s gotta do it!

If you move them now try tenting them. Atleast for the first couple weeks.
I will make sure they are well watered at first and then they are on their own. I have about 70 blueberries and a lot of new shoots I could replant too if I was more ambitious. The problem with planting is it’s more maintenance down the road...

I’ve got buds on my apple trees, my apple trees, my apples trees. I’ve got buds on my apple trees so early in the morning! So happy I was dancing around! Had these trees planted for 5 years and these are their first buds! :D:D:D
That's so exciting!

This morning most of my seeds in the garden have sprouted! And the seedlings I planted are growing so well. No asparagus yet, but crossing my fingers. I’ve never grown asparagus before so this is new for me. While I normally never plant hybrids I did buy some Smooth Criminal squash seeds from Gurney. It looks really interesting because it grows upright on a central stem. Says it is indeterminate, but I thought all squash were?

This morning most of my seeds in the garden have sprouted! And the seedlings I planted are growing so well. No asparagus yet, but crossing my fingers. I’ve never grown asparagus before so this is new for me. While I normally never plant hybrids I did buy some Smooth Criminal squash seeds from Gurney. It looks really interesting because it grows upright on a central stem. Says it is indeterminate, but I thought all squash were?
The asparagus won’t produce this year. It takes about three to four years to really start producing well. When picked fresh, like most things, the flavor is so much better. I will pick and roast some for dinner today.

They are calling for temps in the low 30's end of this week so I am still holding off another couple days. Hoping the first of this next week to start planting warm weather crops and uncover some of the fig trees. Cold weather crops cabbage/onions/greens/beets are growing good though. I am still spreading compost on the top of the gardens.

Back