What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely worth a stop in once a week, just is luck to find something and you have to buy when you see it. Just like you can't win if you don't play, you can't find anything unless you make a habit of checking, usually takes me about 5-10 minutes, in and out.

Haha, that sounds like me in a secondhand shop: in, quick shufty, vanish.

I made stuffed bell peppers with ground beef, seasoning, italian bread crumbs, had xtra meat stuffing so I piled it up. I took them out the oven and yelled it was ready, then went to bathroom to wash my hands, when I returned there was only one left. That one is mine.
0911181754.jpg

I’ve been eating like a mad man while on the road! Had cheeseburgers twice, fried chicken, and some other stuff that I shouldn’t have.... oh well, I will be back home tomorrow night and get back to sanity. I’m almost scared to step on my scale again....

Haha, that sounds like me in a secondhand shop: in, quick shufty, vanish.
Yea, why dilly dally when most of it is just junk, ya know, like Walmart. I shop like most men, go in for what I need then poof, I'm outta here.

I’ve been eating like a mad man while on the road! Had cheeseburgers twice, fried chicken, and some other stuff that I shouldn’t have.... oh well, I will be back home tomorrow night and get back to sanity. I’m almost scared to step on my scale again....
I got so disgusted last night when everything I touched went to shit yesterday. So came in in the evening and ate frozen yogurt with pancake syrup on it. I'm still pissed this morning. Everything is falling apart and breaking down at once around here.

It's an all-in-one steamer/rice cooker/slow cooker/pressure cooker/sterilizer/yogurt maker/cake maker

So far, I've only used it to pressure cook, and as a slow cooker, but it excels at both. And is very programmable. It's nice to be able to set it to come on 3 hours after I leave the house, for instance.

Damn cool.

As a semi-pro baker, I'm a bit hesitant to try it out for that function, but will at some point.

I really need to get another one, as I often like dishes that are a combo of meat, sauce, veggies...to then server over rice or pasta. (so one could cook each of those two elements). The programmable feature is just great, as dinner can be ready right when we get home, effectively giving us another hour each night.

Yea, why dilly dally when most of it is just junk, ya know, like Walmart. I shop like most men, go in for what I need then poof, I'm outta here.

True, but it's worth it when you find gems. Some of my favorite things to find at these places: old school (non-powered) versions of kitchen gadgets, costume supplies, old school (non-powered) tools, decor items (especially candle sconces or holders), and luggage.

Antique shops are good for it too, but often cost more.

There are also specialty second-hand shops that sell more upscale, and carry only name brands, etc. A friend of my wife's owned such a store, and she'd get all these fancy brand items (most of which, the rich never even USED), and get them for the price of something at WalMart. She and our daughter even found some designer dresses, etc. there. (and shoes). I remember once, she got a pair of shoes that still had a price tag of $300 on them (the original buyer never even wore them), for $40. (of course, my wife was friends with the owner, but still....)

I was wondering why on earth people would give their perfectly good high quality stainless pots to Goodwill. But then it struck me...

They must be hand-me-downs and the people only know how to cook in Teflon. So they gave them away to make room for their super duper teflon coated aluminum pots. I mean, these stainless pots are made to last for generations!

Our once super duper (now not so super duper) teflon coated aluminum pots, on the other hand, are getting thrown away to make room for the stainless pots.

Last October we bought a ceramic skillet for use outside on a gas burner. Like all new age coatings it preformed great when it was new. After only a few months the once white coating is now mostly black. Cast iron lasts for generations, while all of the coated pans are disposable products and many are plain junk.
I'll be glad when we get our cast iron cookware out of storage.

I got so disgusted last night when everything I touched went to shit yesterday. So came in in the evening and ate frozen yogurt with pancake syrup on it. I'm still pissed this morning. Everything is falling apart and breaking down at once around here.
I have a saying about life, “some days you eat the bear, and some days it eats you”.... hang in there, it will get better eventually!

Friend treated me!

Pinchos: olives, tiny gherkins and onions; olive with bitter pickled peppers and anchovy; toast with pimento pepper, tuna and anchovy; superb little pastry with prawn and crab gratin.

3 lb forerib from 12-17 year old dairy cow, matured forever, cut about 3" thick, brought to room temp then cooked in ridiculously hot oven for 6 min, rested for 6 min and served with crisp deep-fried padrón peppers. The oven is used for all their fish, meat and veg, so the steak gets an amazing seared crust of complex flavours.

Galician baked cheesecake with raisins soaked in Ximénes sherry; brandy.

I have leftovers for tomorrow and a bone to gnaw on.

Last edited:
Friend treated me!

Pinchos: olives, tiny gherkins and onions; olive with bitter pickled peppers and anchovy; toast with pimento pepper, tuna and anchovy; superb little pastry with prawn and crab gratin.

3 lb forerib from 12-17 year old dairy cow, matured forever, cut about 3" thick, brought to room temp then cooked in ridiculously hot oven for 6 min, rested for 6 min and served with crisp deep-fried padrón peppers. The oven is used for all their fish, meat and veg, so the steak gets an amazing seared crust of complex flavours.

Galician baked cheesecake with raisins soaked in Ximénes sherry; brandy.

I have leftovers for tomorrow and a bone to gnaw on.
Three inch thick rib roast is my idea of heaven!

I made a pork butt roast, rubbed with garlic, salt and pepper, seared and then roasted in the Dutch oven with chicken broth and onion sliced on top of it. Three quarters thru I added some fresh carrots from the greenhouse, then in 20mins I added red potatoes I had canned last year and some mushrooms, along with Italian seasonings and a little lemon juice. The roast was fall apart tender and the vegetables had a little Greek influence/flavor. Damned amazing, back to that diet, what diet? Thing....

Surprised the carrots had to cook longer than the potatoes, but it sounds amazing.

Oddly, not sure what we're doing tonight. We've got a few different meals worth of leftovers (as we're feeling out how much to cook for 3, vs. 2, now that our son is back home). So probably just that, but it's also payday, so we may just go out. We'll see.

Ooh, Red Lobster has Endless Shrimp right now...... :D

Latest posts

Back