What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just threw all the leftover turkey parts (bones and all) into a pot and cooked it down in some water. I took the bones and fat out after about 40 mins. Then I took some carrots, celery, green onions, and a little bell pepper and chopped them up and simmered them in the broth. I also threw in the tiny bit of leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes and green beans that I had left in the fridge, along with some garlic and pepper. At the very end I threw in a bag and a half of wide egg noodles. Right now it's a nasty cold and wet night, but I'm enjoying a big pot of really good turkey noodle soup, next to a good fire and a pit bull that's glued to my side. It dosent get much better. I feel even better knowing that most would just throw out the leftover bones, but with a little time they make another great meal.
I can see that being the way to eat if the SHTF. That is why I have a f ew big pots stored away. May need to feed several people and the easiest way is to fix up a big pot of what ever you have on hand. May need to keep it going for a few hours. Big cook pots are in my prepper supply. Actually just purchased a good used pot last week at a yard sale for 8 dollars.

That's just it, we need to feed 5 in the household, so eating out is an EXPENSIVE option. So, we have a home-cooked meal pretty much every night. Sadly, the kids (well adults, but...) aren't fans of crocked meals, soups, or stews, but this isn't a restaurant. My wife and I work and get home late, so we like having a meal ready when we come home. Wish they could cook, but they can't really, at least not like we do.
Never to early to learn to do things like prepping, etc. Who said if you don't work you don't eat? It's part of being in a family.

It amazes me how few of the people that I work with cook at all. Even most of the women don't have 'time' to bother in the kitchen. I guess someone has to keep Burger King and Taco Bell in buisness. Chicken soup is one of the easiest things to throw together, and is so hearty! They all think I'm some kind of gourmet chef or something from the lunches I bring. I'm far from anything close to that, but I do like to eat real food, that's not only healthier, but is a lot cheaper too. I have to admit though, I can cook a mean steak!
Aloft of people no longer cook. I always felt that eating out was a luxury, not something to do daily. Also I feel the reason some people have high food bills is that they are buying foods that are already prepped. such as already chopped, sliced, etc vegetables. It adds a lot to the expense. I don't believe in the I can't afford healthy food because it costs too much crap.

I don't believe in the I can't afford healthy food because it costs too much crap.

Sorry, but it's absolutely true. It has to do more with the shelf life of produce. (and the time available to do things with it).

It's far cheaper to buy canned or frozen vegetables than fresh. (which is why we will be growing our own as much as we can). Worse though, is that I simply don't have the time or money (yet) to invest in using preserving methods for purchased fresh produce.

I'm up at sunrise to take care of the horses, then commute an hour to work, work all day, then commute an hour home. By the time I'm home, it's 7pm, and we're just cooking dinner. (well, she's cooking, while I then do the pm chores with the horses). We both can cook, but she prefers it over feeding, turning out the horses.

But...we do actually COOK most nights. THAT is more economical then going out to eat. Especially now, that our son is back living at home. Found out that adulting kinda sucks.....and there's a much bigger story there (for another time). Still though, even cooking, there are some great ways to use convenient foods and still have a home-cooked meal.

Example, last night, we got a couple boxes of Zataran's Jambalaya mix, a green pepper, and some cajun sausage and chicken (that was on sale, as shelf life was eminent). Adding a bit of our own spices too, etc., and this whole concoction was fantastic (and cheap, at about $4 per person total, and with more than one helping per).

Even though doing steak and salad tonight, it was still pretty cheap, at about $7 per person (ribeyes on sale at Winn Dixie for $4.99 a lb). Steaks marinated overnight and all day today, so we'll grill 'em up tonight. We just buy enough produce for that week's meals (store is really close), so we don't have it go bad.

We also MEAL PLAN, can't stress that enough. That way, you know exactly what you have, don't have, and can maximize the stuff you have laying around, and actually USE it.

Compare the prices above though, to eating out, even at McDonalds. I mean, sure, I can eat at McDonalds for $7, but compared to steak and salad at $7? Not even close.

Tomorrow, we're crocking some Mojo Pork. Basically, a pork loin, seasoned and crocked all day in Mojo marinade, along with diced onions. Then, shred it up after it's crocked all day, and serve over yellow rice. Nice thing is, she'll only have to make the rice when we get home.

Then from 8-11, we'll binge watch some TV show. :D

Wed, we're taking some (McCormick) mesquite marinated pork tenderloins, pan searing them in the mesquite sauce, and serving them with Knorr Cheesy Garlic Shells, (we add some minced garlic and parsley to em, as well as some shredded cheese to melt in with 'em). Again, doctoring up some store bought.... ;)

(then hoping our boarders pay us over the next couple days, or we have to go to the fallback meal of frozen fish fillets and mushroom rice on the side...or dip into prep stock foods). - We both get paid end of the week this week, so we're right at the end of the budget, hehe....

Last edited:
Never to early to learn to do things like prepping, etc. Who said if you don't work you don't eat? It's part of being in a family.

Normally, I'd agree, but while he was adulting, my stepson burned several of his (and his sister's) pans, broke nearly everything, and simply has the attention span of a gnat. I hate it, because the kid is smart, but he just has issues. I also can't afford to have him ruin meals left and right. Sad to say, but I can't even depend on him to help with things around the house.

I even have to flip the breaker for the oven, and keep the fuse box locked (while we're gone for the day), because I can't depend on him remembering to turn the stovetop/oven off if he uses it. So microwave and toaster oven only (as both have timers).

He wants to go into JobCorps, and thinks that will help. I tend to agree. But while he's going about it, we basically have to support him, or he'll be even worse. (mental health, depression thing). Hard for me to deal with, as I'm of the "suck it up buttercup" persuasion.

At 6 am this morning I put a tri tip steak in the smoker. Actually it was more like a roast. I had it marinading over night in the fridge. Anyway, I just took it out after 5 hours in the smoker at 200 degs and sliced it. It was tender, juicy and had great flavor. Probably one of my best. It's going to make plenty of leftovers for the next few days too.

I can see that being the way to eat if the SHTF. That is why I have a f ew big pots stored away. May need to feed several people and the easiest way is to fix up a big pot of what ever you have on hand. May need to keep it going for a few hours. Big cook pots are in my prepper supply. Actually just purchased a good used pot last week at a yard sale for 8 dollars.
Walmart has large stainless pots for sale pretty cheap but they are the thin ones. I’d love to get some heavy gauge ones.

Walmart has large stainless pots for sale pretty cheap but they are the thin ones. I’d love to get some heavy gauge ones.
The good ones, the industrial ones are pretty expensive. So I got an old enamel one, even new enamel ones are thin. You can find commercial kitchen aluminum stock pots on ebay but they aren't cheap, even used. In order to buy good new it takes some cash, so I buy old and get better quality for my money.

Good idea. I used to go to yard sales and thrift stores often but the free time thing is rough lately. I think I will work a stop in once in a while.
Yea, I need a brake for yard sale tag on the truck. I don't get to go like I want to, just if it is lunch time or happen on one.

My wife buys thick stainless pots at Goodwill. Very good quality too.
Definitely worth a stop in once a week, just is luck to find something and you have to buy when you see it. Just like you can't win if you don't play, you can't find anything unless you make a habit of checking, usually takes me about 5-10 minutes, in and out.

Any of you ever used an Insta-Pot? This has become one of my favorite new things.

Latest posts

Back