What have you learned?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Hershey syrup and chocolate baking chips, but no chocolate bars (with almonds preferably)! Suddenly the real depths of this pandemic are coming to light! We’re all doomed! I’m gonna have to suit up and make an emergency run soon.....
Nutella, there is nothing better than to pile up Nutella glasses; an Italian (sic.) emergency food, designed from the end of the forthies of the last century to fight the hunger from the economic desaster after WWII - a preppers must have:)

I have been pretty good about getting set up, but always wondered how to get antibiotics. I think it was @KateMTx that said fish mox, etc. Spent $400 a couple of days ago, should get all the varieties early next week, while USPS is still running. When prescriptions cannot be filled, or picked up, having those will be invaluable if needed. Thanks Kate. Remember to get your Rx filled for three months.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but it occurred to me that the reason the US keeps saying not to wear mask is because they know when everyone does, the criminals (lots of them) will be able to rob and pillage with impunity. The US is a much more violent country than China, the EU, etc. When masks start getting warn, keep your head on a swivel.

That was very smart Helen! Those antibiotics last way longer than their expiration dates. We know that for certain because the US Army has used them after they were years out of date. BUT, Tetracycline goes toxic after it’s out of date awhile though! So does insulin. Make sure you find and print instructions, side affects and what each antibiotic treats just in case the internet goes down. Go to Doom and Bloom. This physician and his Nurse Practitioner Nurse have some of the best info out there.

what have I learned, well it's tiresome to preach to deaf ears and warn them over and over again.
I'm prolly far better to handle this crap than 99,9% of my neighbors,as I do have food,water and security ( means to protect ), have some knowledge and practice in the medical field,which helps..for now,it's a waiting game,if my gov will declare state of emergency or not..

Last edited:
Nutella, there is nothing better than to pile up Nutella glasses; an Italian (sic.) emergency food, designed from the end of the forthies of the last century to fight the hunger from the economic desaster after WWII - a preppers must have:)

OMG that is what I forgot! Nutella and graham crackers. :(

Last edited:
I have been pretty good about getting set up, but always wondered how to get antibiotics. I think it was @KateMTx that said fish mox, etc. Spent $400 a couple of days ago, should get all the varieties early next week, while USPS is still running. When prescriptions cannot be filled, or picked up, having those will be invaluable if needed. Thanks Kate. Remember to get your Rx filled for three months.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but it occurred to me that the reason the US keeps saying not to wear mask is because they know when everyone does, the criminals (lots of them) will be able to rob and pillage with impunity. The US is a much more violent country than China, the EU, etc. When masks start getting warn, keep your head on a swivel.
Masks will not be any good unless you have goggles or some other way to cover your eyes. That is why they have mentioned this.

Masks will not be any good unless you have goggles or some other way to cover your eyes. That is why they have mentioned this.
Why do they always forget the goggles? (Because they aren't that smart I guess. . . if they're stealing from hospitals and doctors that NEED them)
Most goggles could be cleaned with alcohol and reused so I guess that's why they are not being bought in the same mass quantities as masks.

To give you all an idea of my age here when I was an EMT and a surgical assistant we didn’t were goggles or face shields at all, just a mask. I had an incident during a cesarean when the surgeon punctured the uterus it hadn’t released the water and was still under pressure. I got sprayed full in the face with nasty gunk dripping off me.... I got teased about that for the next six months..,, ick.... masks are a really good thing!

I have learned a lot by being on these boards. I recalled that there is about a 3 days supply of groceries in the grocery stores if the trucks can't continue to stock shelves. That is fairly true to form based off of this experience.

I told my husband to go out and get things just before they got bad so that we were topped off. He has always supported my prepping, but never really gotten into it. I called him at work last Thursday and I told him we needed to buy extra food for our freezer. I felt like the food was going to be the next thing to go. When he got tot he store, sure enough, people were there shopping like it was the Friday before a holiday weekend (but it was Thursday afternoon). We were fine, but I wanted to make sure. I could tell by the pictures and stories of people sharing things on here, that food (certain kinds of foods) were going to be hard to come by.

I admit I have been out everyday to multiple stores because I am utterly fascinated by all of this. I know my husband is too. He is actually listening to me about prepping. He always listens to me, but it is a polite kind of listening like he would when I tell him about my other hobbies. He listens, but isn't interested in those hobbies. Well now...he is listening. I told him people were buying certain things (like toilet paper) at such a rapid rate, they were going to clear out the warehouses. Once the warehouses were cleared out it could take some time before things reappeared on the shelves. Today, we were in the store and there was some toilet paper limited to one per customer. There was also a sign that said they were out from the manufacture. That means there isn't going to be any in tomorrows truck shipment either. I overheard the cashier tell someone that they only had a little toilet paper because it was a truck that gotten delayed.

We had gone to another store and there was very little meat and no eggs or milk. They later got a truck in that had some meat, and dairy, but no paper products.

Saturday evening, I told my family if the shelves weren't stocked soon, there would be fights in the grocery store by Monday. Turns out I was wrong on that because it was already happening. There is a grocery store that is upscale and about 3 miles from my house. They had the police out there on Saturday evening because the crowds were crazy and people were starting to loot.
I have learned that rich people are always feeling sorry for the homeless and wanting to feed people and do the Christian thing etc, but mess with toilet paper and things quickly change. All of a sudden the realize the money that they have isn't worth anything if there isn't anything to buy.

Many of my family members think this is all crazy. They think it is the fault of a few panicked people. I try to explain that panic is a real as the water and the rain. They say things like, "If people wouldn't panic, there would be plenty to buy" It's like saying "If this hurricane wouldn't bring so much water with it, my house wouldn't flood" you can't control it because it is just as much a part of it.

I also try to explain this isn't a hurricane that you plan and prepare for. This happened rather quickly (here in the states) we don't have the rest of the country to help us out with supplies and such. This is like a global hurricane. My aunt thinks that Amazon is going to deliver her subscription for toilet paper next week. They are already out of stock on line.

Today I went to Costco. No toilet paper, but people were buying Kleenex in bulk. 2 boxes at a time....that's a lot of Kleenex if you are blowing your nose, but not a lot if you are using it for other purposes.

If antibiotics and other medication get scarce, it will really get interesting.
Many people are caught up in trying to not catch the virus or blaming the government for slow response. I have never trusted the government. I have seen too many natural disasters gone awry. I am more concerned with the economic fallout that will come to follow us and the rest of Europe after this.

If the government does a lock down and ask people to only go where is necessary. People will rebel and go other places for sure. They will then put in more and more restrictions. Italy is still on lock down. I don't know how the Italian government works, but I don't think you can bring America to a halt for a month and then pick up where you left off. People are looking this as a vacation, or an inconvenience.

I will continue to watch, wait, and learn. We are in for some interesting times.

I have learned a lot by being on these boards. I recalled that there is about a 3 days supply of groceries in the grocery stores if the trucks can't continue to stock shelves. That is fairly true to form based off of this experience.

I told my husband to go out and get things just before they got bad so that we were topped off. He has always supported my prepping, but never really gotten into it. I called him at work last Thursday and I told him we needed to buy extra food for our freezer. I felt like the food was going to be the next thing to go. When he got tot he store, sure enough, people were there shopping like it was the Friday before a holiday weekend (but it was Thursday afternoon). We were fine, but I wanted to make sure. I could tell by the pictures and stories of people sharing things on here, that food (certain kinds of foods) were going to be hard to come by.

I admit I have been out everyday to multiple stores because I am utterly fascinated by all of this. I know my husband is too. He is actually listening to me about prepping. He always listens to me, but it is a polite kind of listening like he would when I tell him about my other hobbies. He listens, but isn't interested in those hobbies. Well now...he is listening. I told him people were buying certain things (like toilet paper) at such a rapid rate, they were going to clear out the warehouses. Once the warehouses were cleared out it could take some time before things reappeared on the shelves. Today, we were in the store and there was some toilet paper limited to one per customer. There was also a sign that said they were out from the manufacture. That means there isn't going to be any in tomorrows truck shipment either. I overheard the cashier tell someone that they only had a little toilet paper because it was a truck that gotten delayed.

We had gone to another store and there was very little meat and no eggs or milk. They later got a truck in that had some meat, and dairy, but no paper products.

Saturday evening, I told my family if the shelves weren't stocked soon, there would be fights in the grocery store by Monday. Turns out I was wrong on that because it was already happening. There is a grocery store that is upscale and about 3 miles from my house. They had the police out there on Saturday evening because the crowds were crazy and people were starting to loot.
I have learned that rich people are always feeling sorry for the homeless and wanting to feed people and do the Christian thing etc, but mess with toilet paper and things quickly change. All of a sudden the realize the money that they have isn't worth anything if there isn't anything to buy.

Many of my family members think this is all crazy. They think it is the fault of a few panicked people. I try to explain that panic is a real as the water and the rain. They say things like, "If people wouldn't panic, there would be plenty to buy" It's like saying "If this hurricane wouldn't bring so much water with it, my house wouldn't flood" you can't control it because it is just as much a part of it.

I also try to explain this isn't a hurricane that you plan and prepare for. This happened rather quickly (here in the states) we don't have the rest of the country to help us out with supplies and such. This is like a global hurricane. My aunt thinks that Amazon is going to deliver her subscription for toilet paper next week. They are already out of stock on line.

Today I went to Costco. No toilet paper, but people were buying Kleenex in bulk. 2 boxes at a time....that's a lot of Kleenex if you are blowing your nose, but not a lot if you are using it for other purposes.

If antibiotics and other medication get scarce, it will really get interesting.
Many people are caught up in trying to not catch the virus or blaming the government for slow response. I have never trusted the government. I have seen too many natural disasters gone awry. I am more concerned with the economic fallout that will come to follow us and the rest of Europe after this.

If the government does a lock down and ask people to only go where is necessary. People will rebel and go other places for sure. They will then put in more and more restrictions. Italy is still on lock down. I don't know how the Italian government works, but I don't think you can bring America to a halt for a month and then pick up where you left off. People are looking this as a vacation, or an inconvenience.

I will continue to watch, wait, and learn. We are in for some interesting times.

Thank you for those updates. I have not been out in over a week and it is interesting to hear what is happening in other peoples areas. Think I will start a thread like that!
I agree that we are in for some interesting times. My husband and I are older and definitely at high risk. He has insisted rather strongly that my 5'2", 110 pound frame not leave the property without his 6'6" heavily armed presence. I am on lock down already. Lol He was a military policeman for many years. Spent a lifetime pulling drunk AWOL marines out of hellholes around the planet. He guarded the Vietnamese and Cubans. Later as a guardsmen was deployed regularly to one disaster or another. He seems to think we are in for the ride of a lifetime. People when they are scared, sick, panicked and hungry are capable of things that you would not believe. Be safe. be smart, be prepared and be alert. That is his advice to everyone.

To give you all an idea of my age here when I was an EMT and a surgical assistant we didn’t were goggles or face shields at all, just a mask. I had an incident during a cesarean when the surgeon punctured the uterus it hadn’t released the water and was still under pressure. I got sprayed full in the face with nasty gunk dripping off me.... I got teased about that for the next six months..,, ick.... masks are a really good thing!

Yuck

I would have died!!

No, really, Nutella has enough calories, You can put it on everything, such as Pizza, on meals-ready-to-eat, pancakes, it is like Ketchup, a real survival stuff.. Even on graham crackers, if some left at doomsday

That stuff is so fattening and so addictive. But Oh so good. If I am going to get a killer virus what the heck

Latest posts

Back