Tractors for smaller properties and BOL.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastenerWesterner

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would start this topic. Doesn’t seem to be one. I know you always buy 1 size up from what you think you need with tractors. Knowing what I have done, I did right with the first purchase.

I don’t mean for this to be a “I got a 85hp and I can do anything thread” I dont plow, till, etc. I use the tractor to move things around and save my back.

My experience was somewhat limited. 30 yrs ago I had to drive a 1947 McCormick to tow 2 pickups out of my backyard.

5 years ago I got a much needed help in the form of a Mahindra 1526. 5ft wide to help with stability on my hills, so compact, not a subcompact. Many 3 pt attachments followed (they are addicting.). It has proven a wise investment. Knowing the equipment and capabilities has helped me to do more than I thought was possible with it.

As I am looking to develop a 3a flat property, I found an older tractor (4 ft wide, so sub compact) with loader so I dont have to truck Big Red back and forth. Should be enough until I get Big Red up there. Hope I’m right. Think I might have to truck Big Red up a couple times if I am wrong.

If anyone wants to chime in, I thought this would be a great resource point post.

I'd like to pick up a small garden tractor. Something like an 18 to 25 hp 4 wheel drive with a loader, backhoe and rototiller.
I used to do a lot with my 1985 JD214 garden tractor. Even had a receiver hitch hooked up to it to put my winch on. When the 500lb tractor moved, there was 500 lbs of tension on the fence.

The 18 to 24 range you are referring to is a subcompact tractor.

The stance width is more the defining characteristic between a sub compact and compact. 5 ft width was my max because of 6ft gates in between fields.
I could have gotten my broken in (300hrs) 25hp Mahindra or a 33hp Massey for the same price Both pulled crop wagons. Difference being the Massey had a computer. Also could have gotten a brand new 25 hp sub compact with a middle PTO for the same price

For a comparison everyone can relate to. JD 1025=sub. 2025=compact. They have a 2032 model also. JD was out for me because they all had computers.

Latest posts

Back