What have you learned?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for all the posts because even though I have not been on here long. I have learned so much from you all. I have been prepped for decades but am a lone or solitary prepper, but the posts from Bill have helped me to see what is flying off the shelves and the holes in my own preps so that if I survive this thing I know what to stock up on for the next round and there will be one of some kind. Sometimes even the smallest things help someone. Especially those sharing posts on medical equipment and masks and such.

My question to you all is what have you learned from this and what would you do differently with your preps when this is over?

I want to thank everyone for all the posts because even though I have not been on here long. I have learned so much from you all. I have been prepped for decades but am a lone or solitary prepper, but the posts from Bill have helped me to see what is flying off the shelves and the holes in my own preps so that if I survive this thing I know what to stock up on for the next round and there will be one of some kind. Sometimes even the smallest things help someone. Especially those sharing posts on medical equipment and masks and such.

My question to you all is what have you learned from this and what would you do differently with your preps when this is over?
For me, the prepping lifestyle I’ve been doing so far has most things covered pretty well. I’ve never prepped for any one specific event but luckily I had some supplies for a pandemic. Without a doubt, I didn’t have hand sanitizer or a lot of masks. I pretty much have that covered now though. The only thing that really stands out is my wife is tiny and pretty frail due to bad health. We tried putting one of the n95 masks on her for a doctors appt and it was way too big for her. I never thought about a child’s size mask before this. I have several respirators that we will see if we can get a decent seal on it for her. There will always be unexpected surprises in our plans, but with a little flexibility and flexibility we will get through anything.

For me, the prepping lifestyle I’ve been doing so far has most things covered pretty well. I’ve never prepped for any one specific event but luckily I had some supplies for a pandemic. Without a doubt, I didn’t have hand sanitizer or a lot of masks. I pretty much have that covered now though. The only thing that really stands out is my wife is tiny and pretty frail due to bad health. We tried putting one of the n95 masks on her for a doctors appt and it was way too big for her. I never thought about a child’s size mask before this. I have several respirators that we will see if we can get a decent seal on it for her. There will always be unexpected surprises in our plans, but with a little flexibility and flexibility we will get through anything.[/QUOTE

Like you Brent I had never prepped for a specific thing either. Most of my experience had been with weather events such as hurricanes, ice and snow storms and the like. I was fortunate that I did have masks and sanitizer because of illness and a compromised immune system. I think that no matter how well you try to prep there will always be something you overlook or did not think of.

Like you Brent I had never prepped for a specific thing either. Most of my experience had been with weather events such as hurricanes, ice and snow storms and the like. I was fortunate that I did have masks and sanitizer because of illness and a compromised immune system. I think that no matter how well you try to prep there will always be something you overlook or did not think of.
True, but knowledge is the most important prep of all, (next to a good water filter), and with knowledge you can figure some kind of work around for anything.

My preps are more about living an independent and self reliant lifestyle than actually preparing for any shtf event. However, I do think that there could be an economic collapse within my lifetime. I'm also making sure that my kids and grand kids will be well taken care of in the worst case senario.
I’m guessing this event is likely to bring an economic collapse. Considering it’s world wide it increases the odds. I guess it all depends on the longevity of the shutdown. Definitely worth considering and preparing as you can.

I’m guessing this event is likely to bring an economic collapse. Considering it’s world wide it increases the odds. I guess it all depends on the longevity of the shutdown. Definitely worth considering and preparing as you can.
It very well could. There's a lot of people who would love to see an economic collapse, i.e. most leftist democrats, Soros and other commies.
I think I'm pretty well prepped for a serious downturn in the economy. I'm out of debt and have all the tools and equipment that I'll probably need. I'm still invested in the stock market, but if it dropped to zero (impossible) I'd still be fine. I'm far more invested in land, timber, gold and silver than the stock market. We have a years supply of TP so we should be good.

I agree that an economic collapse would not surprise me, at the least a recession here in the US. My fear is that if we have catastrophic weather events on top of this such as the fires and floods of the last few years, or even a weather event that poses a widespread threat to food production on top of this how much can the economy and food supply of this country take in one year.

It very well could. There's a lot of people who would love to see an economic collapse, i.e. most leftist democrats, Soros and other commies.
I think I'm pretty well prepped for a serious downturn in the economy. I'm out of debt and have all the tools and equipment that I'll probably need. I'm still invested in the stock market, but if it dropped to zero (impossible) I'd still be fine. I'm far more invested in land, timber, gold and silver than the stock market. We have a years supply of TP so we should be good.
If you have access to water, food and aren’t in debt where someone could take your home then you’re as prepared as you can be. The TP is nice too! Right now I’m focusing mostly on trying to keep my wife from getting this thing. I’ll deal with the economy a little down the road. I am smart enough to to know money is not the center of the universe, although do like the comforts it can bring. I never understood the people jumping out of buildings when the market crashed.

While I’m praying for a soft landing on this, it is looking more and more like there won’t be one for the entire world. Even if we get this thing to slow by June, how many small businesses will have gone under? How many larger businesses will too? What about the impact from the lose of tax revenue?

Already there is talk of nationalizing factories and such by some libs...de Blabio for one and the old commie. Those are the exact steps Venezuela took prior to their complete and utter COLLAPSE! Of course the politicians and their merry friends are doing very well while millions are absolutely STARVING on the streets!

I agree that an economic collapse would not surprise me, at the least a recession here in the US. My fear is that if we have catastrophic weather events on top of this such as the fires and floods of the last few years, or even a weather event that poses a widespread threat to food production on top of this how much can the economy and food supply of this country take in one year.

There is no doubt we are in for rough times. Everyone needs to grow more food and help your neighbors when possible.

Life without chocolate would be hell! I’ve got lots of cocoa and chocolate chips in Mylar! Picked up more today.
I have Hershey syrup and chocolate baking chips, but no chocolate bars (with almonds preferably)! Suddenly the real depths of this pandemic are coming to light! We’re all doomed! I’m gonna have to suit up and make an emergency run soon.....

I have Hershey syrup and chocolate baking chips, but no chocolate bars (with almonds preferably)! Suddenly the real depths of this pandemic are coming to light! We’re all doomed! I’m gonna have to suit up and make an emergency run soon.....

I forgot to get some more Hersey syrup. Darn! Will have to go back and see if there is any.

I have been pretty good about getting set up, but always wondered how to get antibiotics. I think it was @KateMTx that said fish mox, etc. Spent $400 a couple of days ago, should get all the varieties early next week, while USPS is still running. When prescriptions cannot be filled, or picked up, having those will be invaluable if needed. Thanks Kate. Remember to get your Rx filled for three months.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but it occurred to me that the reason the US keeps saying not to wear mask is because they know when everyone does, the criminals (lots of them) will be able to rob and pillage with impunity. The US is a much more violent country than China, the EU, etc. When masks start getting warn, keep your head on a swivel.

Last edited:
I have been pretty good about getting set up, but always wondered how to get antibiotics. I think it was @KateMTx that said fish mox, etc. Spent $400 a couple of days ago, should get all the varieties early next week, while USPS is still running. When prescriptions cannot be filled, or picked up, having those will be invaluable if needed. Thanks Kate. Remember to get your Rx filled for three months.

I don't know if anyone has said this, but it occurred to me that the reason the US keeps saying not to wear mask is because they know when everyone does, the criminals (lots of them) will be able to rob and pillage with impunity. The US is a much more violent country than China, the EU, etc. When masks start getting warn, keep your head on a swivel.
It wasn't me ;). I have seen several people talk about it on here; I don't remember who it is that talks about it all the time but @GeorgiaPeachie mentioned it recently.

Last edited:
We have been getting ready for just about anything for so long, I don't have to worry about anything. I have enough to cook and take care of the family. Even prepared
6 CARE packets for possible neighbor support. 1 week food for 2 people, including some butt-wipe...about 12-13 lbs. each. Hope the Germans get their shineola together, get the help to the older and poorer in need and having no cash to prep with. 60 thousand homeless in such a rich land is a SHAME for any and every politician...I could not sleep well at night if I had the power to help such and did not. GP

Latest posts

Back