This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard they used to do it by throwing it in a campfires coals and let it stay overnight.
I set a smoke detector off in a four story army barracks at ft. Leonardwood one evening when I tried to season my first pan. The CO wasn't real happy. They do tend to smoke a little bit. :)

It's real easy to permanently damage CI in a fire. Temps can't be controlled and the pans can warp or the temper can be taken out of the metal. It will have a red color to it. If won't hold a seasoning after that.

I cook in the fire using cast irons all the time, if the cast iron goes dry not even red hot you take the chance of popping it, you will know when this happens, it sounds like a firearm going off and you may find a large crack in it ;) This is my turn of the century cast iron crepe pan my wife left on the fire too long till it dried cracking it last year, she learned.

IMG_1831.jpg

It's real easy to permanently damage CI in a fire. Temps can't be controlled and the pans can warp or the temper can be taken out of the metal. It will have a red color to it. If won't hold a seasoning after that.
Appreciate the tip! I didn't know it could be damaged. Do you drop yours in a conventional oven?

I forgot to get me some cast iron pans, dang it. I suppose I can still do that today even though my order should be on it's way already from yesterdays order. I got me a new fire pit yesterday through Gettington and some crank lights for the kids. The fire pit even has a grate so I can cook on it. I liked the looks of it, its bigger then the little round ones they have it's more long for bigger logs, and even has a screen cover you can put on it. Cost more, but to me worth it. Can cook outside rather then having to do it on the grill all the time. I also am planning on cooking up a few dozen more eggs this week and getting them pickled.

Now to go order my cast iron stuff gosh I knew I was forgetting something.

well i went out and picked what okra i could.and i think that may of been the last time for this year..on account the leaves are turning color,and curling up..

i need some cast iron skillets and pots..especially one for skillet corn bread..havent eaten any corn bread baked in a skillet in years

well i went out and picked what okra i could.and i think that may of been the last time for this year..on account the leaves are turning color,and curling up..

i need some cast iron skillets and pots..especially one for skillet corn bread..havent eaten any corn bread baked in a skillet in years
I have never eaten Okra is it good?? I guess you have to get over the slime in it though. Someone told me to steam it then you fry it. That is suppose to get rid of the slime in it. I still haven't tried it.

I ordered me a whole set of cast iron cookware and get a free griddle with it.

i never worry about the slim when cooking it..on account the cooking takes care of that..and as for it being good..it's real great to me..but then again.i grew up eating it..

Chickens are producing more now. A couple weeks ago, they started, just seeing two to three eggs a day. Yesterday, collected 8 eggs! At this rate, we'll never be buying them again, that's for sure (and likely be giving some away to friends). I also found a great reference for preserving eggs too: http://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs

I got the wife onboard with my water barrel idea in the ManCave (to replace the one barrel we have now, which is kind of an eyesore there). We'll be putting in two barrels, then building an opening plywood cover around it (painting it black) to give us more display space.

Yet again, I've been thwarted on the weekend in my plan to build the bunny habitat, but dammit, I will get a free day or to work on this during the holiday season.

I planned out the veggie garden that we'll be prepping in December (planting in Feb), and the herb garden/koi pond we'll be prepping and planting at the same time. In doing so, also decided to grow watermelon, strawberries, and pumpkin, but not in the veggie garden, instead in some select areas of the property. Doesn't sound like a lot of thought, but knowing when to plant what, and which crops need sun vs. shade, etc., you have to plan it out right.

I ordered some cheesewax, as I really want to give this a try. (basically, you can preserve cheese for up to 15 years, without refrigeration....welcome news to my family!)

more food stuff as like always + a brand new harmonica and few hundred feet of rope

Rope. That's a good idea that is pretty overlooked, but so basic.
Chain lengths too.

my okra plants are finely dieing off (from the cold temps)..so i'll be bush hogging them when im ready to..and if i can..i'll be adding grass clippings to the garden.even then.i'll just pile them up on top of the garden.and leave it untill next growing season..then till them into the ground then.and there's 2 hay fields behind where i live..chicken manure is used to fertilize them..so i'll be getting some of it to spread out on it as well..

chain,didn't think about that...something to add my shoppinglist.

I did some rearranging of chickens yesterday and today. Have pretty much everyone now where they need to be for the winter. In Feb, they will start being moved to new coops where I can have different breeds separated out. Already got the areas corded off for the new coops. Did a little bit of branch burning today more when I get my outside fireplace this coming week.

I ended up throwing my back out of whack today carrying in 50+ pound boxes from the UPS truck so that wasn't good. So this coming week I will just stock up on food rather then doing work outside that should be done.

got out there and up rooted my okra plants already this morning..thought of just leaving them there to rot and all..but i got trash to burn,and some scrap lumber thats needs to be gotton rid of..so im just gonna burn it all..then spread the ash out over the garden..and that includes some very fertile soil as well...

try to get your back ok :)
Lets hope it gets better hubby brought home over 50 ears of corn and 40 pounds of tomatoes his friend gave him, so lots of work to do with it, but my back just isn't going to take standing that long. I baked home made rolls today and thought for sure I was going to pass out from the pain. Going to take a nice hot bath later and see if that helps any. Oh well I suppose I can have the kids help me with the tomatoes tomorrow. I need to can as many as possible before they go bad.

Tomorrow I am going to cook some sweet potatoes hubby got from his friend, and some ham with pineapple. Tonight is hamburger and tomatoes.

Latest posts

Back