This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is becoming an apoplectic/economic event (not really, but maybe), I’m shopping Walmart.com. Don’t care about fashion here and jeans last better than most things. Walmart generic jeans are hard to beat price wise.
My mistake Brent. I thought you wanted quailty made products that will last.

Depends on the items. Cheap jeans hold up well for me. Guess I’m not working as hard as I used to... they are usually stained and dirty way before they start to wear out for me. I almost look at them as disposable. There are plenty of things that I think should be better quality an am willing to pay for though.

This is becoming an apoplectic/economic event (not really, but maybe), I’m shopping Walmart.com. Don’t care about fashion here and jeans last better than most things. Walmart generic jeans are hard to beat price wise.

I used to buy Levi and Wrangler products for their supposed better quality, turns out they are now made in Turkey !!! I buy the better quality stuff like Berghaus, Craghoppers, Regatta and Mountain warehouse, still made in China, Vietnam etc but to European standards, I like value for money over brand labels EXCEPT for leatherware where the US stuff is better than even British stuff.

That does not neccessarily means buying American or British I once had a pair of Danner boots and they were garbage, I also had some Uncle Mikes kit and it was also junk. just like I had a Belstaff jacket that cost over £450 supposed to be the best of british and it was garbage. But I have few pairs of chinese made cargos made from egyptian cotton that have lasted decades.

That does not neccessarily means buying American or British I once had a pair of Danner boots and they were garbage, I also had some Uncle Mikes kit and it was also junk. just like I had a Belstaff jacket that cost over £450 supposed to be the best of british and it was garbage. But I have few pairs of chinese made cargos made from egyptian cotton that have lasted decades.
It all depends on how one uses the products. I've been buying almost 100% Carhartt pants and shirts for many years. They're about the only brand that holds up for me. I still have a few Carhartt shirts that I bought over 30 years ago. I try to buy USA made products whenever possible, unfortunately not all Carhartts are made in the U.S. anymore.

My wife says I’m a boy and am too rough on clothes. She can keep things for years but most of my clothes are stained so quickly that they never wear out before being too ugly to go out with. I know, if I only bought clothes colored the same as Georgia clay then I’d be in good shape!

I did order 8 pairs of jeans, 10 under ware, 12 pairs of socks and 10 pocketed t shirts from Walmart today to be delivered. One thing is I can usually only find three or so jeans in my size at the store but ordering them online isn’t a problem. I won’t buy shoes online as I like to try them on first. Too bad as I could use a couple more pairs of sneakers. I’m not worried about the near term with this but am trying to prepare for a long term mess with the economy from this. I have a feeling I will not see a full recovery from this in my lifetime.

I've decided to sell some of my surplus guns. So yesterday I took my laptop to town in order to get on the internet to check on gun values. There's only 2 places in town that I know of to get on the internet; the laundromat and the library. Both places were closed. I hope this overreaction to the flu is over soon.
...after it kills over 200000 of us? Sorry, I just disagree. Please be careful, you could be killing people and not know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered what I could think of to order off of Amazon today. They are having problems with people working in the warehouse. My husband had ordered some stuff to and they told him it could be 2 weeks out as they were focusing on "essential" items right now.
My aunt has been waiting on a package of essential items for over 2 weeks.. it's getting crazy.

I ordered what I could think of to order off of Amazon today. They are having problems with people working in the warehouse. My husband had ordered some stuff to and they told him it could be 2 weeks out as they were focusing on "essential" items right now.
My aunt has been waiting on a package of essential items for over 2 weeks.. it's getting crazy.
Walmart’s pu order was booked solid and the site said try again later. Everyone is ordering things online all of a sudden and all the systems are overwhelmed. I will make an early morning grocery run before long but will do my best to do them bi weekly at most, and with all the precautions I can use.

Walmart’s pu order was booked solid and the site said try again later. Everyone is ordering things online all of a sudden and all the systems are overwhelmed. I will make an early morning grocery run before long but will do my best to do them bi weekly at most, and with all the precautions I can use.
I have everything I can think of immediately, but I am trying to anticipate future needs.. it's hard.

I have everything I can think of immediately, but I am trying to anticipate future needs.. it's hard.
Me too. I went thru the pantry and made a list, really just fresh stuff but nothing pressing thankfully.
My son told me the other day that this is what I’ve been hoping for for years. I was surprised and told him it was the last thing I’ve ever wanted. I just saw it as enough of a possibility to think it was smart to prepared for it.

...after it kills over 200000 of us? Sorry, I just disagree. Please be careful, you could be killing people and not know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"200,000 of us"? I suppose the sky could fall and kill us all.
Now, how could I possibly be "killing people and not know it". That seems a little harsh, doesn't it?
I'm probably more "self isolated" than most people are. My nearest neighbor is 4 miles away, town is 20 miles. Since October we've had exactly 3 people on the property besides my wife and myself. But like I've said before; life goes on. I'm not in a position to sit on my ### waiting for something to blow over that we don't even have in my county (population 2800) yet. We have a short summer here and I have a lot of projects that I'll be starting on soon. I can't hold off until the government tells me it's safe to go outside again.
I do think this is a serious problem in some parts of the country.

Me too. I went thru the pantry and made a list, really just fresh stuff but nothing pressing thankfully.
My son told me the other day that this is what I’ve been hoping for for years. I was surprised and told him it was the last thing I’ve ever wanted. I just saw it as enough of a possibility to think it was smart to prepared for it.
Do your kids think of you the same way now? My son used to call me apocalyptic mom. My family used to laugh at me for being prepared. My husband always encouraged my hobby, but never really thought it was a necessity... now they no longer "laugh."
When this first started getting serious (in my eyes) I went and stocked up (topped off) on Feb 26th.. I was accused of panic buying and was told it was just the flu. Now my aunt just bought 25lb bag of flour and a ton of other supplies. I asked her if it was "panic buying" she said no it was wise. Then I reminded her when I did it it was "panic buying".... all I got back was the sound of crickets ;)

We prep not for those who do not understand. We prep not because it is a new fad. We prep not to be seen as wise or special by the others. We prep because we have seen the results of NOT PREPPING. We are the leaders and visionaries of our time such as those who founded our nation. The rest of the world will do what is deems right and WE will do the same. Even under us there are differences. We can only do what we believe and show that we believe what we do is correct, not accepted or cool.
Others search for answers, we have them. Others wait for emergencies, we AWAIT them. Others fear the unknown, WE are ready for the unknown.
WE are Preppers... Live free brothers and sisters in prepping, GP

We prep not for those who do not understand. We prep not because it is a new fad. We prep not to be seen as wise or special by the others. We prep because we have seen the results of NOT PREPPING. We are the leaders and visionaries of our time such as those who founded our nation. The rest of the world will do what is deems right and WE will do the same. Even under us there are differences. We can only do what we believe and show that we believe what we do is correct, not accepted or cool.
Others search for answers, we have them. Others wait for emergencies, we AWAIT them. Others fear the unknown, WE are ready for the unknown.
WE are Preppers... Live free brothers and sisters in prepping, GP

The Founding Fathers of Post Corona America :) can I be Chief Justice :) then Abe Lincoln Maverick, John Paul Jones Articdude...........................................Why do I just know I will end up as Bill Benedict Arnold ? :)

Do your kids think of you the same way now? My son used to call me apocalyptic mom. My family used to laugh at me for being prepared. My husband always encouraged my hobby, but never really thought it was a necessity... now they no longer "laugh."
When this first started getting serious (in my eyes) I went and stocked up (topped off) on Feb 26th.. I was accused of panic buying and was told it was just the flu. Now my aunt just bought 25lb bag of flour and a ton of other supplies. I asked her if it was "panic buying" she said no it was wise. Then I reminded her when I did it it was "panic buying".... all I got back was the sound of crickets ;)
My sister has said she now realizes it was smart all along. She has a pantry now but nothing big. I’m still trying to get her to get ammo for a shotgun they inherited from her MIL. Her husband is very anti gun... my son hasn’t said it outright but I think he is understanding the reality of it now. As GaRp said, I’m not prepping for recognition or image but for the practical sense of ensuring we can eat and have supplies during something like this. I really prepped due to all the hurricanes I have been through, I just never really expected to see a storm this big.

Lemme be Paul Revere, I wanna ride a horse again thru the night and wake up people by yelling at them and shooting my six-guns!
I just want to survive quietly and blend into the background. If I am going to be remembered for anything I’d like it to be for being able to grow a really productive garden....

Brent you are going to have problems around the first to third of the month because of Social Security checks etc. They will be swamped. I am going to wait a week or so and hoping to let all that clear out and maybe restock. We shall see if that plan works.

Back