This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've talked about debt here on this site many times, but I don't think the importance of living debt free has really been covered that much.
When it comes to discussing debt, many people leave out mortages on homes and property. They feel that they'll never pay off their home mortgage anyway. Sadly I know people who are older than I am who are still making a mortgage payment, and in some cases a car payment.
Many people, including some in my own family, get close to, or have paid off their home, who have fallen for the Home Equity loan trap. So now they're back in debt again.
As Brent said above, it's much easier to get in to debt than it is to get out. I was brought up in the days where it was common to hear things like "live within your means", debt was bad, save for your future, because no one else will, and if you can't afford it, do without.

My plans is to fully retire early next year (1st or 2nd quarter). Before I even considered retirement I made a commitment (at least to myself) to make sure the Mortgage and all cars are paid off FIRST. I now have both mortgages paid off and no vehicle debt. I do have one small HELOC (Home Equity) which I will pay off before end of year. That will leave a couple fairly small CC debts which can be easily paid off. I use the Credit Cards so that will most likely stay and continue to follow me around like a puppy dog. Notice, I did talk about two mortgages. Once I retire, one of the homes will be sold and the proceeds will add to retirement funds.

Arcticdude, I 100% agree with you. No one should even consider retirement if they still have a mortgage and definitively not with a vehicle loan. If you are thinking about retiring and you still have a mortgage or car loan and don't have the funds to pay them off, TIME TO DOWNSIZE. Get a smaller (cheaper) house and/or car using the equality in your current property. If you don't have enough equality, you can't afford to retire.

Speaking of blowing money needlessly, my wife decided that we needed a vacation. So she booked a trip to Hawaii...with her sister, brother, bil and their teenage daughters. I've been to Hawaii before and found it the be overrated and expensive. I guess she rented a nice house on the beach in Maui. At least it has a swimming pool. I can just hang out at the pool smoking cigars, drinking Scotch and sleeping until it's time to leave.
My coworker and I were talking about this the other day, how so many people go into debt to go on vacation. I mean, vacations are great and all but but not THAT great.

My coworker and I were talking about this the other day, how so many people go into debt to go on vacation. I mean, vacations are great and all but but not THAT great.
There are very few things worth going into debt for. Most people will to buy their first house. Even that can be adjusted by buying a house that is more realistic to your ability to repay it quickly vs one that you really want. I don’t see cars as worth it, but it’s probably the most common form of debt in the US. Sure you need a car to be able to get to work, so buy the cheapest one you can afford. By learning to save money you can ensure you will never have to borrow again. By not learning to save you will guarantee you will borrow again.

I have no problem with debt, as long as it's short term and you have a plan, and the money, to pay it off. Long term debt is what I have a problem with. My wife and I use a credit card a lot. We get milage points with it. My wife hasn't bought a plane ticket in several years because she uses the milage points for her tickets. We pay the card off monthly so we aren't charged interest, and we still have close to a million points left.
When I had a home mortgage (15 year) I paid twice a month. That alone cut out several years on the loan. Plus every year I'd make a lump sum payment too.
I bought my JD tractor on a zero interest loan. I had the money to pay cash for it but it was worth it to me at the time to use their money. I paid it off in a couple years.
Debts are like gambling, don't do it if you don't have the money in the bank to pay for it.

I have no problem with debt, as long as it's short term and you have a plan, and the money, to pay it off. Long term debt is what I have a problem with. My wife and I use a credit card a lot. We get milage points with it. My wife hasn't bought a plane ticket in several years because she uses the milage points for her tickets. We pay the card off monthly so we aren't charged interest, and we still have close to a million points left.
When I had a home mortgage (15 year) I paid twice a month. That alone cut out several years on the loan. Plus every year I'd make a lump sum payment too.
I bought my JD tractor on a zero interest loan. I had the money to pay cash for it but it was worth it to me at the time to use their money. I paid it off in a couple years.
Debts are like gambling, don't do it if you don't have the money in the bank to pay for it.

I agree with using cards that give points, as long as it ALWAYS gets paid off each month. I too get points for buying stuff that I was allready buying. I also have not paid a bank any interest in years. It makes sense to use other peoples money as long as you are disciplined enough to make sure you follow the rules in the fine print. I would rather keep the money in my savings account when it’s a 0% loan. There are loans out there though that if you’re late on one payment then all the interest retroactively comes due from the beginning of the loan. It could be an expensive game if a person had some unexpected reason they couldn’t meet the loan obligation like they thought, which is why Dave Ramsey is adamantly against even these free loans. For me though, I have no problem with using the system to my advantage.

I agree with using cards that give points, as long as it ALWAYS gets paid off each month. I too get points for buying stuff that I was allready buying. I also have not paid a bank any interest in years. It makes sense to use other peoples money as long as you are disciplined enough to make sure you follow the rules in the fine print. I would rather keep the money in my savings account when it’s a 0% loan. There are loans out there though that if you’re late on one payment then all the interest retroactively comes due from the beginning of the loan. It could be an expensive game if a person had some unexpected reason they couldn’t meet the loan obligation like they thought, which is why Dave Ramsey is adamantly against even these free loans. For me though, I have no problem with using the system to my advantage.
That's the "secret" to using debt to your advantage; pay it off before the interest starts to accumulate. My strategy of using other people's money (zero interest) is to ensure that I have the money in the bank to pay it off in case something happens. Being disciplined is the key to proper debt management.

When you say you pay twice a month, does that mean you made bi weekly payments to equal the full amount in one month?
Or did you make two full mortgage payments in one month?

When you say you pay twice a month, does that mean you made bi weekly payments to equal the full amount in one month?
He was talking about two full payments. Even if you can’t make a whole extra payment paying anything extra, espechially in the early years, will cut a lot off the interest and number of the payments. An extra 50$ makes a huge difference on an average 30yr mortgage. I kind of feel though that if you can’t afford a 15yr mortgage then you should look at a less expensive house though.

He was talking about two full payments. Even if you can’t make a whole extra payment paying anything extra, espechially in the early years, will cut a lot off the interest and number of the payments. An extra 50$ makes a huge difference on an average 30yr mortgage. I kind of feel though that if you can’t afford a 15yr mortgage then you should look at a less expensive house though.
I have been paying an extra $100 per month for at least 10 years probably closer to 13 years. I know I will pay it off a little early, but I am ready. I am 17 years in and counting.

I have been paying an extra $100 per month for at least 10 years probably closer to 13 years. I know I will pay it off a little early, but I am ready. I am 17 years in and counting.
Most people get some extra money every once in a while, like tax returns, birthday gift, inheritance or the sale of something. If all this is thrown at the debt, along with the extra 100 a month it can cut a quarter of the time to the pay off. I think looking at the statements often and actually see how much interest is paid, what the balance is and a current expected payoff date is a good motivator to help you stay inspired.

That's the "secret" to using debt to your advantage; pay it off before the interest starts to accumulate. My strategy of using other people's money (zero interest) is to ensure that I have the money in the bank to pay it off in case something happens. Being disciplined is the key to proper debt management.
That’s what the financial businesses are doing to us, so why not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I was paying biweekly. My total monthly payment was the same, but by paying half 2 weeks early really cut down the total interest. When I had the money then I'd pay two full payments twice a month. I also rounded my payments up. Example, if my monthly payment was $835 I'd pay $850. All these little things really cut the total interest down, and reducing the years on the mortgage or loan.

Actually I was paying biweekly. My total monthly payment was the same, but by paying half 2 weeks early really cut down the total interest. When I had the money then I'd pay two full payments twice a month. I also rounded my payments up. Example, if my monthly payment was $835 I'd pay $850. All these little things really cut the total interest down, and reducing the years on the mortgage or loan.
Great! That’s what I am doing as well. I have paid about 3/4 of the total loan already, but I was hoping it would be sooner.

I'm a firm believer of staying out of debt.i might be barely getting by.but yet.I'm not in debt with a bank.car lot or what ever..i know a couple who replaces their vehicles when ever the factory warranty gets close to running out.which means their making car payment's every month.instead of spending it on something else. and here they are barely getting by.

I went to a gun show and got a better knife and a back pack for my son and his family. I am going to fill it with useful things and give it to him for Christmas.

My air conditioner is not keeping up with the Texas heat. We called a repairman but he can’t come out until Tuesday. We have a small window unit in our garage. We put it in our bedroom window so we have a nice cool room to sleep in.

It pays to be prepared:)

Latest posts

Back