This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. I just haven't gotten my wife on board yet. I may just have to spend more time at the BOL, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the sticks. She'll never move there unless things really get bad. But maybe somewhere a little closer to civilization (which she defines as a place with a big medical center and an international airport)

Your wife must be the twin of my wife. Your wife quoted my wife exactly. That is the main reason I am an Urban Prepper.

I'm lucky to have a wife that is a true partner and one who wants the same things out of life as I do. She travels for work every 3 weeks. So what if the airport is 4 hours away, in good weather. She doesn't see that as a problem, but more as a plus as that means the large population center is also 4 hours away. She wouldn't trade where we're living for anything; clean air, clean water, no neighbors, no crime, small town 20 miles away, abundant wildlife and beautiful views.

I'm lucky to have a wife that is a true partner and one who wants the same things out of life as I do. She travels for work every 3 weeks. So what if the airport is 4 hours away, in good weather. She doesn't see that as a problem, but more as a plus as that means the large population center is also 4 hours away. She wouldn't trade where we're living for anything; clean air, clean water, no neighbors, no crime, small town 20 miles away, abundant wildlife and beautiful views.
Just hope that if the SHTF she isn’t traveling.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to know your still around Clyde. We all have more to do than can ever be done and have periods of lapses and motivation in our prepping. This thread, I believe, was the most popular ever on this site and is a good motivator for remembering why we are here.
I like it too. Today I brought several of my cans in to town to refill, kerosene, gas and diesel and to fill up the truck, this will tap the budget but it is needed. It will probably cost me over 100.00 dollars, the main contributor to my prepping difficulties is the limited budget. Blast it! I'm pretty proud of what I have accomplished though. Now, to get the propane filled is really going to hurt. I usually have to pay them a little each paycheck, when I finally have it all paid, then in a month or so , heck , here they are again! Not complaining, I am really fortunate. Just gets a bit tiresome.

WOW! Happy for you, wish it were me.:)

Me too. I just haven't gotten my wife on board yet. I may just have to spend more time at the BOL, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the sticks. She'll never move there unless things really get bad. But maybe somewhere a little closer to civilization (which she defines as a place with a big medical center and an international airport)
There is a bit of land for sale just down the road, 6.3 acres, already has electric and I think a septic system too.Came on the market a couple of days ago. I think they had some campers on it. 54K. A lot of government land around. Won't you be my neighbor?

Been wishing that i was back in the country,since just before i moved.

I've done very little in the way of prepping since i moved.my best prep since my move,is a 1st aid kit,that i won in a contest.it's idea kit for each situation.home/car/b.o.b./ghb..it's just a matter of adding 1 or 2 items.and without removing anything. .

Sounds like your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth. Mine also wants there to be a Whole Foods grocery store near by...... sigh..... mind you she shops at Costco more than any place else....

We picked up the windows, doors, bathtubs and toilets for the new house yesterday. When we unloaded the trailer we discovered that they loaded some windows that belonged to someone else and shorted us on two of our windows. We'll make the 8 hour round trip tomorrow to get our other two windows. The electrician started wiring the house yesterday too.
Got the last of the garden cleaned up and fed all the dead plants to the pigs.
We had our first snow yesterday. It melted off just about as fast as it fell.
My new snow plow has been shipped and should be here in about a week.

One's far more healthier staying young and working than growing old and retiring. I see my doctor more often now than I ever had in my life. Doc tells me I'm healthier than a horse and I ask him why am I here then, doc says because you got old with a chuckle, a few seconds later he says no, you're here to pay my mortgage.

The way I see it, just be happy your busy enough with work to complain, I rather see people complain about being too busy than see them broken and hungry ;)
I don’t know your age, but my aunt is 71 years old, maybe 5’2 and almost 100 lbs. She lives out in the hill country. I called her the other day. She told me she was cutting down a fig tree with a chainsaw, moving the cut up limbs across the property to be burned,and then she was going to go wash her St. Bernard ( dog weighs more than she does).

My MIL(68 years old) sits on the couch and watches TV game shows.
How ever old I get to be, I just want to be able to still kick butt and take names.

I have been working on getting my yard winter ready. I am cutting back a lot of winter plants, cleaning out flower beds, and doing my best to be frugal as possible. I the economy is so good right now, I just know what goes up must come down.

Today I went on a walk to find some horse hoof fungus. I think I found the right kind (I'm still new to this forest environment). I had a go at processing it for tinder using some youtube videos as a guide that involve boiling it in ash water and then bashing it with a stick. I will know how successful it is when it is dry.

Helped cut up and stack and all the small wood from a truly epic poplar on the property. Dead, but still a touch wet inside. If it dries out nice, we will use it in the maple syrup cooker this spring.

Ordered a tenpoint crossbow for a buddy who doesn't do things like use debit cards or go "online" lol. Also took him in town to pick up his hunting license and tags. Nice that in this county, he can phone in his measurements, not go to the station.

Scouted out a good spot to hunt some coyote, now we need to hunt some geese for bait carcasses.

Ordered a fiber optic front bead for the shotgun, the bead got broke off during the move down here.

Picked up a bunch of industrial size cans of beans and veggies for winter chili... Maybe with goose? Lol. Hopefully not with coyote.

Got some auto body work this weekend for a guy, and going to try to get a case combination hoe running, it's been sitting for a couple years, if I can get it going it will be the "tractor" for this side of the property, I can stop driving the other loader all the way around the property just to pull a small stump.

Got confirmation that my house has sold, so I leave in a little over a week to start looking for my 'small house big garden' place in the west of Scotland. Lots of final packing of small bits and running around to whittle down a mighty To Do list. I went up into the loft to retrieve the 2 or 3 unopened rolls of insulation that I thought were up there and found 11 rolls, which was nice, and I'm currently working on how best to pack demijohns for storage.

Please post pics (but not location of course) of your new place, I'm imagining a "small house big garden" property in Scotland, and in my mind its gorgeous.

Congrats on your move, always satisfying to get something you've been working hard for!

Edited to add: what the heck is a demijohn?

Thanks, I will. The bits of Scotland I'm considering really are gorgeous, although the property will probably be no more than an acre, and perhaps as small as 500 sq. yards. I am, however, in the very lucky position to be able to buy outright with no mortgage, and might even consider buying land on which to build a small house.

A UK demijohn is a 4.5 litre / 1 gallon glass container for homebrew: https://www.brewstore.co.uk/glass-demijohn-45-litre. Mead and wine are on the menu for the new place :)

I got my 70 y/o dad to help with little projects around the place. He is a tinkerer extraordinaire. He hates being retired with nothing to do and loves having projects so I got him a key and he goes out the place when we aren't there to fiddle on anything he can find. Already reset the front door, fixed the locks, and resealed the door. He found 7 gallons of paint he didn't need and has threatened to take my mom out there to start her painting.

Met with the power people last Tuesday, still waiting on word on a $$ figure to hook up the place. (I'm still hoping for solar, haha, but electric will be easier if it's not too expensive to hook up).

Hubby's grandmother gave us a wall mounted propane radiant heater that will more than heat the place, along with a big propane tank (think 400gal), we just got to move it.

Oh, and there will be someone coming to look at the house we live in now on Tuesday. Eek!! If he decides to buy we should be pushing a move sooner than anticipated. Okay by me!!

Lastly, I have decided to discontinue college next semester. I may or may not pick it up later, but am leaning toward not. The degree came with too many things no longer in my priority. Hubby and I are okay with staying on a single income, living below our means, and he's pretty fond of me being able to take care of things because of the flexibility. My new 'job' after the move will be 'The Gardener', haha. Or 'Pooch Taker-Carer'. Or 'Master Money-Saver'. Or, or.. cook, cleaner, errand gal, bill payer, laundry master, canner, deal finder, (list goes on and on and on....)

I got my 70 y/o dad to help with little projects around the place. He is a tinkerer extraordinaire. He hates being retired with nothing to do and loves having projects so I got him a key and he goes out the place when we aren't there to fiddle on anything he can find. Already reset the front door, fixed the locks, and resealed the door. He found 7 gallons of paint he didn't need and has threatened to take my mom out there to start her painting.

Met with the power people last Tuesday, still waiting on word on a $$ figure to hook up the place. (I'm still hoping for solar, haha, but electric will be easier if it's not too expensive to hook up).

Hubby's grandmother gave us a wall mounted propane radiant heater that will more than heat the place, along with a big propane tank (think 400gal), we just got to move it.

Oh, and there will be someone coming to look at the house we live in now on Tuesday. Eek!! If he decides to buy we should be pushing a move sooner than anticipated. Okay by me!!

Lastly, I have decided to discontinue college next semester. I may or may not pick it up later, but am leaning toward not. The degree came with too many things no longer in my priority. Hubby and I are okay with staying on a single income, living below our means, and he's pretty fond of me being able to take care of things because of the flexibility. My new 'job' after the move will be 'The Gardener', haha. Or 'Pooch Taker-Carer'. Or 'Master Money-Saver'. Or, or.. cook, cleaner, errand gal, bill payer, laundry master, canner, deal finder, (list goes on and on and on....)
That's basically what I do around here but add in a few more critters. It's amazing how busy you will be with no "real" job. I do work outside the home a couple days a week, but even then I sometimes feel overwhelmed with everything that needs to get accomplished between garden, which also includes the taking care of and preserving, home, critters. Then throw in a couple aging parents and grandkids. . . You'll find plenty to do. Going to warn you now, men sometimes forget everything you do throughout your day because they don't see it when they are gone. Sometimes hunny thinks I have magic fairies around that come in and help. ;)

Latest posts

Back