This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to learn about using an alternative like that. My little understanding was it was only good for waterbath canning as the pressure canning is too hot and melts it out.
Make your jelly, pour into the jar, let sit a bit, melt your paraffin and pour gently on top. Do not disturb till solid. Try to keep everything as clean as possible, sterilize your jars good. Take precautions to be sure your jelly doesn't mold. Even then I remember grandmother removing the mold, and we ate the jelly anyway. Just like store bought can get a little mold after you open it and it is left in the frig too long, just removed it and ate. Not the best way to do it but we never knew any different back then. Usually there is so much sugar in jelly or jam it won't spoil. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Picked up from costco 10 25lb bags of Morton 25lb Bulk non-iodized salt giving another 250lbs to add to the store. I got a good deal on it $46.99 roughly $4.70 a 25lb bag
I would like to find some iodized salt in quantity. No luck locally yet. Heck no small quantities, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally gave up on the rain ever stopping and had to hook the laundry room up to the new well line in the mud. I had to continually shop vac the water flowing into the trench out to make the glue joints. Really miserable job in slick mud, but I had no choice. I was out of clean socks and had bought more at Walmart, but was running out of those too! Anyways, I have a working washer again and have a weeks worth of catchup to do..... my house is totally off the county water now and I hope to have the kids place connected this week if weather permits.

Picked up from costco 10 25lb bags of Morton 25lb Bulk non-iodized salt giving another 250lbs to add to the store. I got a good deal on it $46.99 roughly $4.70 a 25lb bag
Good for you, I like hearing about others getting good deals. I put a wire basket on the bike and getting it road ready and after replacing the rear flat will put on the rear baskets, pulled out the old mountain bike to fix up, got 25 lbs sugar collecting free watermelon rinds to make pickles.

Good for you, I like hearing about others getting good deals. I put a wire basket on the bike and getting it road ready and after replacing the rear flat will put on the rear baskets, pulled out the old mountain bike to fix up, got 25 lbs sugar collecting free watermelon rinds to make pickles.
I have a few watermelons ready for the pickings soon. I've already done watermelon jelly this year but have you ever had any watermelon butter? I ran across a recipe and thoughtful would give it a try. Who knows, it may become a favorite.

I did. I buy mine from the dollar store when I found them for 50 cents a jar. I am on my last jar though so may go and check what there prices are.
I am stopping by there on my way home to check it out. There was no way in H---- I was going to pay almost 5 bucks for 0.62 oz. What a rip off. My watermelon pickles turned out great this weekend.

I am stopping by there on my way home to check it out. There was no way in H---- I was going to pay almost 5 bucks for 0.62 oz. What a rip off. My watermelon pickles turned out great this weekend.
The American way, take a cheap item, put it in a fancy container and give it an expensive sounding name and morons will buy it!

@Arcticdude

Snake shot will work, it has worked for me in the past. I prefer the 357 load but have used 9 mm and 22. They all work, if you are close enough and hit the mark. They don't do squat from 40 feet. Just like any shotgun. you have to hit the target, up close and personal. Note: The 9 mm will only work the slide in light weight semi-auto (Ruger LC9s) type pistols. I have only used the 22 shot shells in revolvers, so have no first hand info on how they work in a semi-auto pistol.
I had an opportunity to try out the .22 bird shot on a rattlesnake this morning. While out doing my chores I came across another rattler next to the barn. I shot it from about 5 feet. One shot and a dead snake. The wife and I both keep a Ruger .22 single action in our ATV's and I think the bird shot will be easier for my wife. I also keep a .410 on the front porch in case she needs it.
I haven't tried the bird shot rounds in a semi auto yet so I don't know how well they will function. May try it later.

I had an opportunity to try out the .22 bird shot on a rattlesnake this morning. While out doing my chores I came across another rattler next to the barn. I shot it from about 5 feet. One shot and a dead snake. The wife and I both keep a Ruger .22 single action in our ATV's and I think the bird shot will be easier for my wife. I also keep a .410 on the front porch in case she needs it.
I haven't tried the bird shot rounds in a semi auto yet so I don't know how well they will function. May try it later.

I tried birdshot in semi (10/22) it will shoot but not cycle the action and not reliably manually feed from the magazine, even the CCI birdshot wouldn't cycle.

Latest posts

Back