This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have become one heck of a slacker of a prepper. The upside is business is good and I’m making money. The bad side is I truly feel like I haven’t done much of anything around here lately towards prepping or homesteading. I’m almost glad it’s winter now because I would kill the garden through neglect! I’m feeling like I need a little balance in my life at the moment,,,,

My Brother started bee farming, up to 15 hives now and produced a load of honey this summer. Planted quite a few apple trees but seem to have an issue with disease from the corresponding cedars.
Fruit trees are great, but do require spraying pretty often to keep them healthy. I’m not sure how that could be maintained if shtf. I’ve found that pears, figs and apples are the heartiest for my area. The figs and pears don’t require anything at all. My advice is talk with growers and nurseries in the area and find out what the toughest varieties are specifically for your soil and climate before planting.

Almost done with roofing the barn extension. Should finish it up today. Started on the deck for the cabin yesterday. Got the holes dug for the posts and today I'll set the posts and start framing. Got almost half the tile floor laid in the cabin last night. The wife is still pretty sick but I think I'm starting to feel a little better.

Well, I finally found a guy with electrical work in mind and today he worked with my son all day as kind of the final part of the interview process. He did really well, is enthusiastic (still young), and we agreed to take him on full time. It is a big deal to me as I feel responsible for keeping someone fed even if work gets slow. He said the last guy he was working for would just send them home routinely with just a couple hours in for the day. I figure if you want a decent employee that will work hard for you then you need to treat them decent. So, the point I was getting to was I didn’t have to go out in the cold, finished all the needed paperwork before noon that was backed up, and did some things in the shop that were far behind too. It was nice to have extra hands. I was able to keep the wood stove slowly going all day to get rid of the chill. I even have potatoes baking in the oven, alongside a cherry/apple pie, a nice looking salad, and the steak is just about ready to throw on the grill. All this and it’s not even 5pm! Usually I wasn’t even back home by now. I don’t know if all this has anything to do with prepping, but it did feel like it was a really good and productive day.

So I come home from work to redo the beans we had past night into chili and throw my cinnamon rolls into the oven. With the cooler weather, it's just taking them longer to rise. Anyhow, hunny calls and ask what I'm making for dinner and I tell him. His comment to me: What no corn muffins? Me: I've only been home an hour give me time. Him: What kind of wife are you? Me: The kind of wife whose husband is not eating cornbread muffins tonight. Yep that is true love people.. . we get a kick out of each other sometimes. I know he is joking and he knows that he'll get his muffins. ;)

I saw guava trees in Fla. but never this far north. I may look into it though.
Their guava tree was a "pineapple guava" which has a fruit about the size of a chicken egg. That was in Jackson, MS, which had some pretty cold winters, so it was reasonably cold hardy. My father made lots of guava jelly.

Got the barn extension done yesterday. I still need to add beams around the bottom, add more gravel and put siding on 3 sides. But that will have to wait until spring now. Too much snow for the gravel truck to make it up here. Now I can park the tractor under roof and plug in the block heater and battery charger to the barn generator. My most important accomplishment yesterday was setting up the BBQ. It's a pole mount BBQ like the type you see in campgrounds.

Haven't done much since early yesterday morning, a 55lb bale of hay dropped from the loft knocking me hard to the ground so I'm laid up for a bit. Of all the years of taking the radio with me, this was the first time I ever activated the alert on it, it sure didn't take long for the kids to show up early morning.

I'd probably go to the doctor tomorrow if things don't improve.

Haven't done much since early yesterday morning, a 55lb bale of hay dropped from the loft knocking me hard to the ground so I'm laid up for a bit. Of all the years of taking the radio with me, this was the first time I ever activated the alert on it, it sure didn't take long for the kids to show up early morning.

I'd probably go to the doctor tomorrow if things don't improve.

Take it easy man! Us old guys don’t heal nearly as fast as we used to.

I used to get drafted into helping load hay. I don’t really miss it. I can still smell the sweaty funk that followed me on those days....

Take it easy man! Us old guys don’t heal nearly as fast as we used to.

I used to get drafted into helping load hay. I don’t really miss it. I can still smell the sweaty funk that followed me on those days....

Things never use to hurt like this that's for sure. I've been grounded from doing early morning work while everyone is asleep :(

True. I walked off between a couple walk boards on a scaffold not long ago (I ain't your normal computer geek type). One leg between scaffold jacks and busted my elderly butt on the walkboard. I landed getting up convinced that I'd have a broken leg and wound up with a sore butt and a helluva bruise on my upper leg. The worst hurt was my ego, but stuff happens I suppose. I hobbled around for 3 weeks over that, and I'm pretty sure that I hurt some stuff that I didn't know I had.....

True. I walked off between a couple walk boards on a scaffold not long ago (I ain't your normal computer geek type). One leg between scaffold jacks and busted my elderly butt on the walkboard. I landed getting up convinced that I'd have a broken leg and wound up with a sore butt and a helluva bruise on my upper leg. The worst hurt was my ego, but stuff happens I suppose. I hobbled around for 3 weeks over that, and I'm pretty sure that I hurt some stuff that I didn't know I had.....

"I hurt some stuff that I didn't know I had" yep!

Daughter thinks I have a broken collar bone and nose and she found a little bit of blood in my ear a few moments ago so it looks like a field trip tomorrow.

Daughter thinks I have a broken collar bone and nose and she found a little bit of blood in my ear a few moments ago so it looks like a field trip tomorrow.

Better get it checked out. Let us know how you’re doing!

If you have blood coming out your ear its a sign of a head injury. If you feel fine then have your daughter check your ear for any scratches that could of caused that blood. If you do not have a scratch my advice is to go to the ER. If you wont, then you need to have a baby sitter. I would have someone check you every hour to every hour and a half. Not just check your responses but actually wake you up. If anything only for a couple of seconds to get a response from you.

Check your ego. Best case you wake up tired from being messed with all night. Worst case you don't do anything and you get a dirt nap. Serious

I am working on my red binder. This will be the emergency binder where to go for what to do suggestions. So the first tab will be Where to begin SHTF then under that will be alert colors. Green, Yellow and Red then break it down from there. Another tab will be Security Measures. Training for basic soldier skills, donning a mask, HAZMAT suit etc. When to put a full time security on the perimeter. Probably the most important will be if a bug out has to happen what to do. If a bug out has to happen under fire. What to do, where are the rally points to meet up at. Initial base camp site to ponder options.

A lot of crap to think about and plan for. On the fun side I picked up a two pack in very good condition Buy it Now Army MSS Patrol Sleeping bags. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-US-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The prices on eBay for surplus seem to suck right now. Looking around at different stuff. I did just win a bid on a Army duffle bag with shoulder straps for $10.00 on auction. I wanted another ruck but they were all to expensive.

With having snow on the ground now made me think of having a back up. Its to late to bury a Cache but it gave me the incentive to start collecting the stuff needed for a family cache.

If you have blood coming from inside your ear with no visable wound, you should be on your way to an urgent care or ER now!

Back