This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I traded two truck loads of gravel out of my gravel pit for the use of a wood splitter. Ill go pick it up when I get to feeling better. The tankless water heater I ordered was delivered yesterday too.

I installed an propane on demand water heater in 2002 or 2003 and it’s still going strong, we can run both showers simultaneously set at 130deg without issues. I’ll never go back to the tank water heaters. Saved a ton of fuel... and money.

I installed an propane on demand water heater in 2002 or 2003 and it’s still going strong, we can run both showers simultaneously set at 130deg without issues. I’ll never go back to the tank water heaters. Saved a ton of fuel... and money.
That's good to know. I've been wanting to try one out for a long time. I didn't have the space in the cabin for a large tank water heater. This one will fit nicely on the bathroom wall, plus it was less than half the cost of a tank style heater.

That's good to know. I've been wanting to try one out for a long time. I didn't have the space in the cabin for a large tank water heater. This one will fit nicely on the bathroom wall, plus it was less than half the cost of a tank style heater.

Generally they last about 10yrs, I've been lucky with mine being roughly 15yrs old (Westinghouse 12 gpm) The next one I get will be digital with the self test. I did put a 50gpm water filter before the water heater, not sure if this is keeping it running flawlessly though I reckon it helped.

next on shopping list is a plate carrier,I know my unit will give me stuff,but a PC is soooooo much lighter and handier than what they offer...and I'm lazy ;)
2 of My current goals are body armor and night vision . I know Im going with a OD green plate carrier and level 4 plates for the BA and night vision may be 1+ ATI monocular and a 1+ Weapon mounted . I have a Pentagon brand tactical light that woll mount on a weapon rail and has a lens that will close over it blocking all white but lights up like daylight if you look through a night vision devise .

Having multiple pairs of good foot ware is often overlooked by many people. A person should have several pairs of shoes for a variety of tasks; summer, winter, work, hiking, etc.
I keep my old western boots that get to worn out to wear in public for yard work ad the smooth sole doesn't track dirt in also keep a pare of cheap sneakers for garden and yard work . I have around a dozen pair of Military surplus combat boots from around the World added to my prepps mostly U.S but also Swiss , German , Austrian.

Worked out in the garden again today and now Dotty thinks I'm a salt block. Apparently I need a shower. I try to ignore, but then she wants to take a hunk off. Good thing she only has lowers . . . :p IMG_20170929_182852.jpg

Got the wood stove installed today. I'll need to add a 3' section of pipe to the top to insure a good draft. I can use it as is for now though. Suppose to rain early tomorrow morning and change to snow by Sunday. It'll be nice to finally get some heat. Picked up the wood splitter today too, but still too sick to use it. Maybe tomorrow.

Got the wood stove installed today. I'll need to add a 3' section of pipe to the top to insure a good draft. I can use it as is for now though. Suppose to rain early tomorrow morning and change to snow by Sunday. It'll be nice to finally get some heat. Picked up the wood splitter today too, but still too sick to use it. Maybe tomorrow.

Get better, AD!

I just bought 9 cans of mountain house freeze dried foods. Walmart.com had the best prices I found so far. Their sweet and sour pork is on sale 17.00 off regular price per can. Still expensive at 20.00 a can, but I guess it's a deal and got two. This is my first purchase of the #10 cans and at 250.00 it won't be a regular thing. I just want to diversify my types of food in storage but still think the farming and raising your own is the best bet. I'm also thinking wgreggmiller is on to something with a freeze dryer.

I just bought 9 cans of mountain house freeze dried foods. Walmart.com had the best prices I found so far. Their sweet and sour pork is on sale 17.00 off regular price per can. Still expensive at 20.00 a can, but I guess it's a deal and got two. This is my first purchase of the #10 cans and at 250.00 it won't be a regular thing. I just want to diversify my types of food in storage but still think the farming and raising your own is the best bet. I'm also thinking wgreggmiller is on to something with a freeze dryer.

We had some Mountain House stuff. Never have tried it, maybe I will this week since my wife will be gone for most of it.

We have freeze dried some spaghetti with homemade sauce and some meatloaf. Strangest thing is when you defrost the freeze dryer, the water smells like whatever just got processed, so we had meatloaf water and spaghetti water. This morning it was lime water.

I did learn something about the freeze dryer though. We did some pork loin and weren’t at home for a few hours after it finished. When it thinks it’s done, the vacuum pump turns off, but the freezer part doesn’t. So, I came home and each piece didn’t weigh squat, so I bagged them up. The centers of each piece weren’t done as it turns out, but frozen to -50 degrees. That didn’t work out....

Otherwise, we’re very happy with it!

We had some Mountain House stuff. Never have tried it, maybe I will this week since my wife will be gone for most of it.

We have freeze dried some spaghetti with homemade sauce and some meatloaf. Strangest thing is when you defrost the freeze dryer, the water smells like whatever just got processed, so we had meatloaf water and spaghetti water. This morning it was lime water.

I did learn something about the freeze dryer though. We did some pork loin and weren’t at home for a few hours after it finished. When it thinks it’s done, the vacuum pump turns off, but the freezer part doesn’t. So, I came home and each piece didn’t weigh squat, so I bagged them up. The centers of each piece weren’t done as it turns out, but frozen to -50 degrees. That didn’t work out....

Otherwise, we’re very happy with it!
I guess there's a learning curve on any new tool. Great way to preserve stuff though

Worked out in the garden again today and now Dotty thinks I'm a salt block. Apparently I need a shower. I try to ignore, but then she wants to take a hunk off. Good thing she only has lowers . . . :pView attachment 7693
Nice legs! [emoji39]
Just joking, I had to be the pig nobody else was standing up for the job.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back