This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am preparing for the Six Nations.;) After many years practice I now have the perfect preps. A locked door, dinner in the slow cooker, an undisclosed quantity of beer and sufficient Pringles and dips to keep me thirsty enough to drink all the beer throughout the arduous 6 1/2 hour stint of Rugby.:D
Sounds like the perfect evening! I'm not even a sports fan, but everything else sounds like bliss.

Well, I got the main garden tilled in today. My arms are still vibrating and I am sure to pay for it tomorrow! I'm excited to get onions, potatoes and peanuts planted soon. W Greg Miller gave me the confidence to plant the peanuts here for the first time. I'm hoping they produce well as they seem like an ideal prepper food. And besides I just really like hot boiled peanuts!

Well, I got the main garden tilled in today. My arms are still vibrating and I am sure to pay for it tomorrow! I'm excited to get onions, potatoes and peanuts planted soon. W Greg Miller gave me the confidence to plant the peanuts here for the first time. I'm hoping they produce well as they seem like an ideal prepper food. And besides I just really like hot boiled peanuts!
Good luck on your garden. No tilling to be done around here for another couple weeks. It's snowing while I'm typing this...

Today was a beautiful sunny day. High temp was around 29 degs with very little wind. I was working on the barn loft when the wife thought I needed a break. With such nice weather she wanted to look for a new location for the garden. We strapped on our snow shoes and went for a walk. There really isn't any hurry, we're still about 3 months away from being able to plant anything.

Brent - I just told my wife you've been tilling, and she's pissed at me. And you. And she wants to get started on her $:&@)/&&:!!! garden. Just to let you know, if a short yankee that can say y'all shows up at your door, be afraid.... lol.

I feel your good lady wife's pain! I'm impatient too and feel exactly the same.
Oh and Brent, you might want to duck and cover if a short Englishwoman is standing with that Yankee;)

Brent - I just told my wife you've been tilling, and she's pissed at me. And you. And she wants to get started on her $:&@)/&&:!!! garden. Just to let you know, if a short yankee that can say y'all shows up at your door, be afraid.... lol.
Tilling was the easy part, now I still need to hoe rows... Why do we like to grow things anyways:confused:. All I can say is if you show up I will share some muscadine wine with ya, right after we finish the hoeing!

I'll pack her bags when I get home!
I started early today, and just quit about 40 minutes ago. And I still didn't get to making rows in the garden! I have way too many projects around here! It's still too early to plant anything other than onions at least. I wouldn't be suprised if we see one more snow this season. I am planning to go by the feed and seed tomorrow and see if they have potatoes and peanuts yet. I am eager to get the outside garden started soon.

It was around 70 over the weekend here and then a cold front came through. 50's for the next few days then back to near 70. My sinuses aren't happy.

I've actually hoped for more cold than we've had - it helps keep the mosquitoes beaten back. Last summer we had some that'd try to drag you away...l

It was around 70 over the weekend here and then a cold front came through. 50's for the next few days then back to near 70. My sinuses aren't happy.

I've actually hoped for more cold than we've had - it helps keep the mosquitoes beaten back. Last summer we had some that'd try to drag you away...l
Living in the south does have some drawbacks. Mosquitos the size of birds, lack of air conditioning being possibly fatal, alligators bigger than the average canoe..... No matter what though, I think about artic dude and snow banks 6 feet high, and I know I'm where I belong! We had one good snow this year. That was enough for me. I just hope we don't repeat what happened last year. We skipped spring and went straight into hot and dry summer. My garden suffered, the front creek dried up, and the a/c never got shut off for three months straight.

Living in the south does have some drawbacks. Mosquitos the size of birds, lack of air conditioning being possibly fatal, alligators bigger than the average canoe..... No matter what though, I think about artic dude and snow banks 6 feet high, and I know I'm where I belong! We had one good snow this year. That was enough for me. I just hope we don't repeat what happened last year. We skipped spring and went straight into hot and dry summer. My garden suffered, the front creek dried up, and the a/c never got shut off for three months straight.

Same here. My sister in law and step brother in law live in Maine. She sent pictures last year and the snow was over 6 feet high. They had shoveled out trails through it. They can have it!

We had about half an hour of spring last year as well. Everyone's gardens took a hit as did crops. My cattle farmer friends are running out of hay because of last summer's crappy yield. It sucked.

I think last year would have been a good year for Pumpkins and Sqaush over here as summer seemed to go on forever but I didn't have a garden growing then. As I'm further north now, I'll be erring on the side of caution and waiting an extra couple of weeks before doing anything, oh and watching when the others do things at the allotment. There are a few who have been growing for many years so I will take my cue from them.

I think last year would have been a good year for Pumpkins and Sqaush over here as summer seemed to go on forever but I didn't have a garden growing then. As I'm further north now, I'll be erring on the side of caution and waiting an extra couple of weeks before doing anything, oh and watching when the others do things at the allotment. There are a few who have been growing for many years so I will take my cue from them.
Good idea. I have a neighbor down the road that always has a great garden. I think a bottle of muscadine wine and an introduction is due. I'm learning more every year now but could use some good tips from those that have allready learned..

Good idea. I have a neighbor down the road that always has a great garden. I think a bottle of muscadine wine and an introduction is due. I'm learning more every year now but could use some good tips from those that have allready learned..

You never stop learning when you garden. You'll not just get ideas, but maybe even make a friend and at the very least have someone to barter excesses with. I love swapping too much of this for some of that.:)

I have been working in the garden lately. Transplanted 192 Black Simpson, which I did end up losing 2 and 24 early cabbage. We have had record highs all year, yet I know we still have a couple cold snaps coming, never fails around Easter. The planting bug is hitting me big time, especially when I see all the rows I have built up and ready to be planted!! Did get some beets, radish, swiss chard, broccoli and cauliflower planted and have already started to come thru. I may just have to give in on spring crops and cover when needed. It wont be the first time. I have more carrots that are ready to pick, but I will wait till Monday since I will be working tomorrow and I will need at least half a day to process. Put in a pass thru for my goats to go into the middle pasture since hunny took half my goat pasture to put my milk cow and her calf in. It has a pulley style gate that I can open in the morning and close up at night. It didn't take long for them to find the opening, now just to train the little babes. . . When I went to feed this evening, I just call Billy Goats, come on babies, and they all come running, but 3 of the babes missed out on seeing the others go thru. I went ahead to the barn to grab feed, 2 figured it out but little Karen needed help so I went thru the middle pasture to help her find the pass thru. It shouldn't take them long to learn, but it is so sad when they put their little heads thru the fences trying to go thru thinking they have crossed over yet haven't really. I have been so enjoying all those little babes though. Every time I go out to feed, I go babysit for my moms :)! DJ is my snuggler every time

did a re-org of my food preps,did the same with my vest ( that pack-mule kind ;) ) got the pockets finally set in a way nothing is in the way of the bang-bang thingy :)

Latest posts

Back