This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my 98 explorer and put bed liner on it. Going to keep it up and running as a possible bug out vehicle
b6af8849d1c0c57252b9d411ea3b8793.jpg

Plan is to keep it packed up and ready to take the family to the cabin.

Sent from a small town in TEXAS.

Took my 98 explorer and put bed liner on it. Going to keep it up and running as a possible bug out vehicle
b6af8849d1c0c57252b9d411ea3b8793.jpg

Plan is to keep it packed up and ready to take the family to the cabin.

Sent from a small town in TEXAS.
I like the look of it! I probably would consider doing the chrome trim and wheels too for more blackout/low visibility.

I like the look of it! I probably would consider doing the chrome trim and wheels too for more blackout/low visibility.
That's what I'm thinking now. This was just a way to hide the fading paint but now it does look like I should black out everything.

Greetings Cmoody.

Like your selection for your families bug out vehicle. So Lockhart, Texas, not knowing where your bugging out to, have to believe your crossing west over the 35 to avoid all the nut jobs that will be exiting San Antonio or Houston when SHTF.

Thought I might chime on in, since I've learned a bit of Texas lovely environment, as you know a simple roadway brush thorn can make our day on Texas highway. So somethings to consider, just a nice suggestion. Not sure based on your photo if its a 4x4?, if it is great, then you have only a few modifications. 1, when money allows, change out the radials to a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar or at least puncture resistant tire, these are the best for a 4x4, I've got them on my Denali 4x4 and used them in the snow and mud of New Mexico when we went skiing this year. Add a set of chains for snow traction and your set.

I have this thing for lights, possibly its because my brother in law who lives in Montana, worked for Burlington Northern-Santa Fe as their lead electrician. When he worked for them, he had the largest boom operated mounted truck from Whitefish, Montana to Minot, North Dakota, and where their was a train derailment on the Northern Route, he was sure to be there, lending his light boom to the accident scene. I learned a ton of things from him, when I was on leave and saw him in action. Needless to say, I was so impressed with the lighting set up, that when I deployed, I was the first to modify our Humvees and other assorted vehicles with lighting systems. As you can see from the below pictures, some of these guys know this. I like picture 1, he has a very night strobe LED system and two front mounted lights for added road lighting. The first picture resembles what we normally see in North Texas as weather chasers...crazy guys who love chasing them twisters.

The second picture appears to be a yuppy, 4 wheeler with a Ford Expedition with roof mounted light system (note, I am not to crazy for his roof mounted lights, they are not LED and not strobe), seem to be after-market add on that was possibly influenced by the dealer who added his very sharp tow winch, the tow winch is what I would advise doing, after you get the tires. I have a Warn Zeon 10 Platinum, but I hear they have a new one out that is called the Zeon 12 that has even better capacity. I got mine on sale for about 1500, but you will need to get the mount kit also and my dealer made if flush Denali, so its not standing out there...saying look at me. It comes with a remote, so you really are not struggling with the cable. Just like a real tow operator.

I placed a Smittybilt roof rack on it, so I can place most of my gear on top. Also comes in handy on family vacations, as we place the ski's and poles up there.

Anyway, sure you thought about it, but figured since your uprigging your BOV...thought it would be a nice gestures to send you some ideas.

Good preps to you.

upload_2016-4-10_8-57-34.png

upload_2016-4-10_8-59-8.png

This one looks similar to your rig, just red, but he has a smaller cattle bar (totally worthless), but the lights are good. I'd ditch that small piece of crap cattle iron and place one of the two from top. If you know someone who can place an iron bumper like picture number 1, I would do it (the one in this picture is a plastic bumper...just waiting to hit something solid and rub against your wheel well.

upload_2016-4-10_9-3-7.png

I picked up more books for the library, picked up some more of the 40oz klean kanteen ss water bottles for our packs with more baker fish spreaders (hanging the bottles over fire) some more medical supplies and a 400 pack of desiccant 1x1" plus another pack of eneloop batteries.

Though this covered the month not necessarily the week (1 time purchase for the month) being retired the wife controls my allowance for the month even with her being up north working she still controls my allowance ELDER ABUSE

Oh and I would be remised not to Qoute Northern Raider...sorry NP...I got to thinking of ya, get a cover for those lights with a slit in them (possibly red) that you can use for night movement. See NP...we are listening ;)

I picked up more books for the library, picked up some more of the 40oz klean kanteen ss water bottles for our packs with more baker fish spreaders (hanging the bottles over fire) some more medical supplies and a 400 pack of desiccant 1x1" plus another pack of eneloop batteries.

Though this covered the month not necessarily the week (1 time purchase for the month) being retired the wife controls my allowance for the month even with her being up north working she still controls my allowance ELDER ABUSE

You know Maverick, each year our local Literacy Council has a big used book sale at the nearby college, people come from all around and well in Archer City, we have famed Western writer Larry McMurtry, he has about four buildings filled with books...you name it, he possibly has it, of course if your looking for a hard to find Western, he's possibly got it tucked away. Anyway, my wife and I always spend money...this year the literacy council even sold you a bag, you could fill it with as many paperbacks and hardbooks in it for $10...I think I walked away with like $80 worth of books.

As for wife taking hold of your money...well its 28 years for me, she's been giving me an allowance for that long....goes to show I am pretty frugal when it comes to things. lol...funny your on a tight purse string.

You know Maverick, each year our local Literacy Council has a big used book sale at the nearby college, people come from all around and well in Archer City, we have famed Western writer Larry McMurtry, he has about four buildings filled with books...you name it, he possibly has it, of course if your looking for a hard to find Western, he's possibly got it tucked away. Anyway, my wife and I always spend money...this year the literacy council even sold you a bag, you could fill it with as many paperbacks and hardbooks in it for $10...I think I walked away with like $80 worth of books.

As for wife taking hold of your money...well its 28 years for me, she's been giving me an allowance for that long....goes to show I am pretty frugal when it comes to things. lol...funny your on a tight purse string.

She making sure the grand kids go to college thus 'making me' pay for it (a form of punishment) I think she was pissed for me kicking the kids out at birth ;)

well.my garden just got disked up plenty good.and i now have a walk behind mower ,with a rear catcher for the clippings.so i'll be filling the garden up with clippings and crops this year.pluss i have 3 planters and 4 large pots ready to go as well.

Last edited:
well.my garden just got disked up plenty good.and i now have a walk behind mower ,with a rear catcher for the clippings.so i'll be filling the garden up with clippings and crops this year.pluss i have 3 planters and 4 large puts ready to go as well.
I did get the last area of the main garden tilled and rows hoed with leaves filled in the walk areas between them. I'll plant some time this week. One thing you want to do Jim is not put green clippings in the garden. I've read that they take nitrogen out of the soil as they break down. Compost them in a pile first, then add to the garden. That's why I use last years dried leaves, they are already broken down. They hold in moisture, help prevent weeds, and enrich the soil. I can't believe people burn them to get rid of them.

Going to plant some fish this spring. Probably going to go with bluegill and a few catfish. Maybe some crawfish too. The pond is about 10' deep in the center. Later this summer I'll fence out the cattle and plant some trees and shrubs around the pond. View attachment 5561
With that view, I'd put my house really close to the pond.

well i got my pepper seeds planted.and i also got my garden marked off in sections,for easy planting.when it comes to how far i go with each type of seed.but yet.i'll be waiting to plant in it another day.on account,i don't like the way the sky is looking.(rain clouds).

well i got my pepper seeds planted.and i also got my garden marked off in sections,for easy planting.when it comes to how far i go with each type of seed.but yet.i'll be waiting to plant in it another day.on account,i don't like the way the sky is looking.(rain clouds).
That's probably the best time to plant, let nature water them in. (As long as you're not getting watered in as well). I meant to plant the remainder of the main garden yesterday, but just didn't get to it. I'll try again this afternoon.

Went to a friend's place yesterday and checked out his 'Walapini' (below ground) greenhouse. Pretty neat. With only a clear poly-tarp roof, the temperature in it was stable enough to have kept their lettuce, greens and a couple of tomatoes going all winter in addition to some potatoes & carrots. I've been thinking about something similar for a while now but never got to it.....too many other irons in the fire. Theirs is apx. 10 ft. wide x 25 ft. long x 8 ft. deep. Even as dry as it is here, they only need to water it about every 3 weeks. When the moisture evaporates out of the ground, it condenses on the roof & falls back down on the plants. I like that.

thougt about going ahead planting the garden,it self.but we're still seeing temps,in the mid 40's to the mid 50's here.
I did get my garden fully planted yesterday. I'm pretty sure the frost threat is over now. I did run out of room though. I may till up another patch next year. I only did a small area of corn, but would have liked to plant a lot. I'm learning to plant more than you need. If it dosent do well, at least you have some to eat. If it does well, then you can some and share some. One thing I've learned here, if you're thinking about learning to garden, canning is just as important to learn. It's no good to have a great yield of something and have it all perish in thirty days. Canning ensures you can eat it all year long. I just saw I only have two jars of green beans left in the pantry, good thing I planted more seeds last night.

Latest posts

Back