This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey speaking of pies, have you got a good sheppards pie receipe?
serves 6

Ingredients
  • � 1 red onion
  • � 2 carrots
  • � 2 sticks of celery
  • � 2 cloves of garlic
  • � a small bunch of fresh rosemary
  • � olive oil
  • � 500g good-quality minced lamb
  • � 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
  • � 250ml lamb or vegetable stock, preferably organic
  • � sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • � 1.5kg Desiree potatoes
  • � 100ml semi-skimmed milk
  • � a large knob of butter

• and a sprinkling of Chedder or Double Gloster cheese on the top if required Brit style
� Peel and roughly chop the onion and carrots
� Trim and roughly chop the celery
� Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves

� Pick the rosemary leaves, discard the stalks
� Heat a large pan on a medium heat
� Add a good lug of olive oil and onion, carrot, celery, garlic and most of the rosemary leaves
� Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened
� Turn the heat up, add the lamb mince, and brown for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
� Use a sieve or slotted spoon to drain away any excess liquid from the pan, then tip in the tinned tomatoes

� Pour in the stock, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir well, then bring to the boil
� Reduce to a low heat, pop the lid on slightly ajar, and simmer for 1 hour

To make your mash topping
� Peel the potatoes, cut them into halves and quarters depending on their size, and put them into a pan of salted, boiling water
� Boil for about 10 minutes until tender
� Stick a knife into them to check they�re soft all the way through

� Drain in a colander and return them to the pan
� Add the milk, butter and a pinch of salt and pepper
� Mash until smooth and creamy

To assemble and cook your shepherd�s pie
� Preheat the oven to 190�C/375�F/gas 5
� Transfer the lamb mixture to a large ovenproof baking dish
� Spoon the mash evenly over the top and poke the remaining rosemary leaves into the top

� Drizzle with olive oil, then cook in the hot oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling
� Serve with broccoli (see Brilliant broccoli) or some lovely peas

serves 6

Ingredients
  • � 1 red onion
  • � 2 carrots
  • � 2 sticks of celery
  • � 2 cloves of garlic
  • � a small bunch of fresh rosemary
  • � olive oil
  • � 500g good-quality minced lamb
  • � 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
  • � 250ml lamb or vegetable stock, preferably organic
  • � sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • � 1.5kg Desiree potatoes
  • � 100ml semi-skimmed milk
  • � a large knob of butter

• and a sprinkling of Chedder or Double Gloster cheese on the top if required Brit style
� Peel and roughly chop the onion and carrots
� Trim and roughly chop the celery
� Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves

� Pick the rosemary leaves, discard the stalks
� Heat a large pan on a medium heat
� Add a good lug of olive oil and onion, carrot, celery, garlic and most of the rosemary leaves
� Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened
� Turn the heat up, add the lamb mince, and brown for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
� Use a sieve or slotted spoon to drain away any excess liquid from the pan, then tip in the tinned tomatoes

� Pour in the stock, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir well, then bring to the boil
� Reduce to a low heat, pop the lid on slightly ajar, and simmer for 1 hour

To make your mash topping
� Peel the potatoes, cut them into halves and quarters depending on their size, and put them into a pan of salted, boiling water
� Boil for about 10 minutes until tender
� Stick a knife into them to check they�re soft all the way through

� Drain in a colander and return them to the pan
� Add the milk, butter and a pinch of salt and pepper
� Mash until smooth and creamy

To assemble and cook your shepherd�s pie
� Preheat the oven to 190�C/375�F/gas 5
� Transfer the lamb mixture to a large ovenproof baking dish
� Spoon the mash evenly over the top and poke the remaining rosemary leaves into the top

� Drizzle with olive oil, then cook in the hot oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling
� Serve with broccoli (see Brilliant broccoli) or some lovely peas
Alright, now I'm the one drooling! I'll have to switch out the lamb for beef though, as I can't afford the stuff over here. I'll give it a try next week.
I actually thought about getting a couple sheep to raise for meat, but figured they would probably just become more pets to feed.
What kind of Shepards pie? New Zealand, Welsh, British or South African.
i didn't realize there were so many versions! I thought it was a Brit thing. Either way, meat, potatoes and veggies, wether cooked together or separate on a plate, and I'm a happy camper. Most of my life I ate because I was hungry, now it's become a recreation!

I went to a garage sale the other day and picked up another bow for 10$! A couple weeks ago i had not even shot a bow and i now own three bows and a full set up with targets, arrows, treestand etc. It really is addicting. Lol.
View attachment 4490
You lucky chap, i`d give my two front teeth to get bow like that at that price here. Enjoy.

something good this week,as I went through my stuff in the basement that got torched,found my old blade (glock knife)I got when they gave me my two stripes while doing my service,needs a bit of tlc..like sharpening it....

Today I got my aluminium longbow repaired. It took about a month to have made but the steelworks managed to build a sixty four inch replica of 'thori'dal the star's' fury' it has an eighty pound draw strength and uses 60 inch aluminium arrows.

Today I got my aluminium longbow repaired. It took about a month to have made but the steelworks managed to build a sixty four inch replica of 'thori'dal the star's' fury' it has an eighty pound draw strength and uses 60 inch aluminium arrows.
Definately know what the HM stands for now.

Definately know what the HM stands for now.
I found an ideal "Prepping Forum" for you they would probably be able to help with all your prepping problems especially that water power generator purifier thingy your planning its called LongeCity, just Google it, youll fit right in. [emoji6]

Golden-Fruitcake.jpg

I've been off the forum for several months and just got caught up with what y'all have been doing. Wow!! Y'all have been busy!!!

I really haven't done much prepping, but I'm trying to get started back up into getting a few things every paycheck. I guess one of the biggest things I've done for prepping is working out and losing about 30 pounds so far. I've been strength training in the gym and I feel much stronger than I did before. I have a ways to go, but not as far as I did.

We went to a little meat market this morning and bought a meat box as our freezer was all but empty. 33 pounds of beef and pork with 2 whole chickens for $140. I didn't think that was a bad deal since the price of ground beef has gotten crazy. I packaged it up for freezing and while struggling to get it downstairs realized that I used to haul an extra 30 pounds on my body every where I went, so I thought it would have been easier.

This summer I've managed to freeze about 5 quarts of beans from our little garden and can 4 pints of pickles. Too bad Boyfriend doesn't like Bread and Butter pickles.....I guess I'll just have to eat them all. I've also canned 7 pints of ground beef. I ordered a Sawyer all in one Filter system thing, but we do need to get a food grade 5 gallon bucket. Also, probably really the biggest thing was being asked by someone to join them (with about 6 other people) to their bug out location which is only about 20 minutes (by car in normal conditions) away. Our other location was about 3 hours across several bridges, close to the coast. It's nice to know that we have somewhere to go with other people and 2 of them have a nice collection of weapons and ammo.

You've done great NCHydrangea,something to be proud off!!

I've been off the forum for several months and just got caught up with what y'all have been doing. Wow!! Y'all have been busy!!!

I really haven't done much prepping, but I'm trying to get started back up into getting a few things every paycheck. I guess one of the biggest things I've done for prepping is working out and losing about 30 pounds so far. I've been strength training in the gym and I feel much stronger than I did before. I have a ways to go, but not as far as I did.

We went to a little meat market this morning and bought a meat box as our freezer was all but empty. 33 pounds of beef and pork with 2 whole chickens for $140. I didn't think that was a bad deal since the price of ground beef has gotten crazy. I packaged it up for freezing and while struggling to get it downstairs realized that I used to haul an extra 30 pounds on my body every where I went, so I thought it would have been easier.

This summer I've managed to freeze about 5 quarts of beans from our little garden and can 4 pints of pickles. Too bad Boyfriend doesn't like Bread and Butter pickles.....I guess I'll just have to eat them all. I've also canned 7 pints of ground beef. I ordered a Sawyer all in one Filter system thing, but we do need to get a food grade 5 gallon bucket. Also, probably really the biggest thing was being asked by someone to join them (with about 6 other people) to their bug out location which is only about 20 minutes (by car in normal conditions) away. Our other location was about 3 hours across several bridges, close to the coast. It's nice to know that we have somewhere to go with other people and 2 of them have a nice collection of weapons and ammo.
Great job! Physical fitness is an area that many prepper's neglect. How are you going to carry that 30 - 40# pack if you were out when a disaster hits, or a SHTF scenario, if your also packing 30 extra pounds?

Glad to hear about the health heading in the right direction! I think even moving in the right direction, even slowly, is awesome.

I wish I liked fish! That looks fantastic, but still probably tastes like fish!:confused:
Oh no, this is much tastier than fish. We call it Squaw Candy. It's smoked with a coating of dark brown sugar, molasses, dark rum, honey, maple syrup, ground pepper, a few beers for the cook, and a few other ingredients. The whole process takes several days, depending on how many fish we get. I do my jerky with a similar mixture, only with no wood added to the smoker.

Latest posts

Back