Roving Gangs - Counter Tactics?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend trying to work on training like military SERE survival evasion resistance escape,for dealing with groups of hostiles. It's what the military does for people behind lines or in hostile territory.

It's a firm belief of mine, that roaming gangs will (after a SHTF event) be the primary threat faced by survivors. The vast percentage are likely to be opportunists, and those can be dealt with in lots of ways, but there are likely to be some that have brains behind them too.

Some of the specific challenges.

1. Large number of armed individuals.
2. Possibly monitoring communications channels.
3. Likely possess vehicles.
4. Well-provisioned.
5. Used to working together.
6. Likely a bit of berserker types here.

So, aside from the obvious (i.e. large armed force of your own or trying to remain undetected), what kinds of tactics have you devised to counter this threat?

Things I've come up with.

1. Ruining the paths leading to your place (at least during the chaos period). (fell trees over roads, use other vehicles, dig ditches, etc.) Do this far enough away so they never even see your place (and can't get vehicles there without making a LOT of noise and effort to clear).

2. Booby traps that make a lot of noise and announce there is an intruder. This is a whole other threat all its own, but things to let you know someone is closing in.

3. Booby traps that cause death or harm. While I'd feel bad if these got innocents, during the chaos period, just too risky to have visitors. Both in the outer perimeter and path areas, as well as the outskirts of the property.

4. Scouts, folks who go out on patrol not to engage any enemy, but to report back to the base with intel (and warning).

5. Having a redoubt with supplies (a very hidden place where you can flee to if the group is too large, to then come back in and reclaim, or rebuild when they move on). Attacking from the redoubt will include completely sabotaging any vehicles of the bandits, with complete hit and run tactics until at a manageable number.

6. Large fields of fire, and hardened positions for sentries (so if they approach, they do so over open-ground and where they can be easily shot from a distance). Hardened positions made using cinder blocks (filled with rebar and concrete). Built after the SHTF with stockpiled materials. (or before SHTF, and disguised as something else, like planters, etc., which is my plan.) That way, just dig out the plants, and presto! Pillbox!

7. Posts in the ground every 3' in front of fences, to prevent vehicles from driving into fences to knock them down. (just large wooden fence poles, sunk in to make a vehicle barrier....can get the supplies before hand, then put in after a SHTF event). We always have spares of these for repair anyhow, so this is just having MORE of them.

8. Nightvision. Lots of ways to cheaply keep batteries charged (especially with FL sun). Nightvision will be a big plus (even if only 1st generation). I've done simulated night combat before, and it is simple, the side that has it, if the others don't....wins.

9. If I do have to leave, I plan to leave some goodies behind, but that are poisoned. (mostly booze and the most appealing foodstuffs). Depending on the desired tactics, could be either fast acting or slow acting poisons. Unless time is pressing, the slower acting (matter of days) one is my preference (both are lethal). Long enough to thwart any taste-tester moves by an overly clever bandit, and to spread more throughout their force, but quick enough to get back in soon. The cleanup will suck, and any bandits not partaking may either fight (or flee to return later), but we'd simply assess the situation as needed.

10. Initially trying to establish a dialogue, if they seem willing to do so (and seem too numerous or costly to fight). My usual method for communicating with strangers post SHTF will be this. A remote-controlled truck is sent out, with a two-way radio in the back. Sent to the stranger to use for conversation. I'll try to convince them that leaving us here, to have constant supplies, is a better option, and that for protection from them and other gangs (as now we are a vested interest), we'll pay tribute in what we have to offer (with ground rules). Failing this, we fight anyhow, rather than die on our knees, and enact a scorched earth approach. We'll make this willingness very clear during the negotiations.
Dont leave out that in this situation people are starving ! they will be after what you have and that may include you! so fight till the last breath cus if it gets really bad there is likely to be cannabalism! and NOONE! is eating my family.

Ken ! Dude ! , you crack me up ! .....................................My puppy told me Kentucky meat is the most tender .;)

Last edited:
Dont leave out that in this situation people are starving ! they will be after what you have and that may include you! so fight till the last breath cus if it gets really bad there is likely to be cannabalism! and NOONE! is eating my family.

Good point.

As mentioned patroling ' prepared ambush sites and I like the bear spray idea I stock up on SABER spray and others some is now out of date but I'm not going to try it out on myself to find out if its still strong enough . Then my own 2cents is knocking them down so far away they dont hear the shot until their buddy falls and they are then in the cross hairs . You dont need a long clear field of view for snipping most battlefields where this technique was developed were overgrown ruff terrain . Infict enough casualties on them and they will stay away from your AO . Avoid it like a mine field .

It's a firm belief of mine, that roaming gangs will (after a SHTF event) be the primary threat faced by survivors. The vast percentage are likely to be opportunists, and those can be dealt with in lots of ways, but there are likely to be some that have brains behind them too.

Some of the specific challenges.

1. Large number of armed individuals.
2. Possibly monitoring communications channels.
3. Likely possess vehicles.
4. Well-provisioned.
5. Used to working together.
6. Likely a bit of berserker types here.

So, aside from the obvious (i.e. large armed force of your own or trying to remain undetected), what kinds of tactics have you devised to counter this threat?

Things I've come up with.

1. Ruining the paths leading to your place (at least during the chaos period). (fell trees over roads, use other vehicles, dig ditches, etc.) Do this far enough away so they never even see your place (and can't get vehicles there without making a LOT of noise and effort to clear).

2. Booby traps that make a lot of noise and announce there is an intruder. This is a whole other threat all its own, but things to let you know someone is closing in.

3. Booby traps that cause death or harm. While I'd feel bad if these got innocents, during the chaos period, just too risky to have visitors. Both in the outer perimeter and path areas, as well as the outskirts of the property.

4. Scouts, folks who go out on patrol not to engage any enemy, but to report back to the base with intel (and warning).

5. Having a redoubt with supplies (a very hidden place where you can flee to if the group is too large, to then come back in and reclaim, or rebuild when they move on). Attacking from the redoubt will include completely sabotaging any vehicles of the bandits, with complete hit and run tactics until at a manageable number.

6. Large fields of fire, and hardened positions for sentries (so if they approach, they do so over open-ground and where they can be easily shot from a distance). Hardened positions made using cinder blocks (filled with rebar and concrete). Built after the SHTF with stockpiled materials. (or before SHTF, and disguised as something else, like planters, etc., which is my plan.) That way, just dig out the plants, and presto! Pillbox!

7. Posts in the ground every 3' in front of fences, to prevent vehicles from driving into fences to knock them down. (just large wooden fence poles, sunk in to make a vehicle barrier....can get the supplies before hand, then put in after a SHTF event). We always have spares of these for repair anyhow, so this is just having MORE of them.

8. Nightvision. Lots of ways to cheaply keep batteries charged (especially with FL sun). Nightvision will be a big plus (even if only 1st generation). I've done simulated night combat before, and it is simple, the side that has it, if the others don't....wins.

9. If I do have to leave, I plan to leave some goodies behind, but that are poisoned. (mostly booze and the most appealing foodstuffs). Depending on the desired tactics, could be either fast acting or slow acting poisons. Unless time is pressing, the slower acting (matter of days) one is my preference (both are lethal). Long enough to thwart any taste-tester moves by an overly clever bandit, and to spread more throughout their force, but quick enough to get back in soon. The cleanup will suck, and any bandits not partaking may either fight (or flee to return later), but we'd simply assess the situation as needed.

10. Initially trying to establish a dialogue, if they seem willing to do so (and seem too numerous or costly to fight). My usual method for communicating with strangers post SHTF will be this. A remote-controlled truck is sent out, with a two-way radio in the back. Sent to the stranger to use for conversation. I'll try to convince them that leaving us here, to have constant supplies, is a better option, and that for protection from them and other gangs (as now we are a vested interest), we'll pay tribute in what we have to offer (with ground rules). Failing this, we fight anyhow, rather than die on our knees, and enact a scorched earth approach. We'll make this willingness very clear during the negotiations.
I really like the fortifications that are camouflaged. I've always felt that if you build a fortress, it's a beacon for looters, but if you have a rundown shack on the outside most will not think it's worth robbing. Not to mention, ever try to get a permit for a pillbox? Lol.

No permits needed here, I'm outside the limits, hehe. (and of course, I'm making them planters prior to SHTF)... Come a situation, just shovel out all the dirt and plants.

If your're going to block the road with cars, at least remove the wheels so they cannot easily be pushed to the side.
You could also try and mask the intersection to your house with earth, leaves and vegetation. (don't forget to remove the traffic sign.)

Almost should be a thread of its own...how to cut off the approaches to your area.

Downing the telephone/electric poles has appeal, as it brings the wire with it, which is also impeding. It's also a pretty quick solution.

Rather than removing signs though, I'd rather misdirect folks. (except back to the interstate...want to make sure they can find that, so they can leave my area).

Personally there is only 2 ways to my place, 1 you can see from the road and the other is through farm land. I'll be placing spikes and digging ditches around my place at 50, 100 and 150 meters out. As for the street that leads to the main road I'll be blocking that off with 2-3 cars. To deal with gangs we are just going to have patrols giving us the edge. Abushing them first for my group is going to be the best option in most cases as we are a small group. We are also going to be running tactical hit and run attacks on them first.

I'm with you on blocking off the roads. My preferred method is to topple phone/power poles, just because that will look more like it happened rather than intentional. A staged car accident though, here and there isn't a bad idea, but overdone, and it will seem more intentional.

Early warning traps are a good idea, especially those that make noise you can hear far enough away.

I am going to be setting up "light Flash" trip wires. Effective? I think so, because we will see what direction they are coming from and it will blind them just for a bit giving us the time to execute the next step! I want save as many rounds as we can, while making them shoot many of theirs off!!

We want to play on the minds of the in coming! The more we can make them shot the less they have! Giving us the biggest edge! Blinding and sound misdirection are a great tool!!

To that end, one of the things I'm planning to do with my pillbox/planters, is using a pattern of alternating black rectangles, where the firing ports will be where some of the black rectangles are. So, an enemy will have a hard time discerning which rectangle is a an actual port, vs. just a design. (so hard to shoot through the ports, wasting shots on dummy ports).

Gangs are too stupid to involve any type of communications beyond cell phones.
Old people are the ones that are the most knowledgeable about wireless communications.
You might have some drilling rig roughnecks with CB radios.
The people that tends to follow gangs are young people that normally are unwilling to work and are attracted to easy money - drugs, sex, violence, theft.
If you look at cities like Detroit you will get the impression of who belongs to gangs and I am not going to say anything about the color of their skin.

Will be a different situation when resources are limited. "Gangs" won't just be the kind we think of today. They may be led by former military types, etc. or even just include them. Think more like the Governor on Walking Dead. Those guys are going to be the ones preppers will dread dealing with.

I think that most honest people would be more concerned with staying alive and eating then being a part of a gang.
It would be a dis service to our armed forces to think that they would have such people in their ranks. We entrust our lives to those people on a daily basis and we don't ever think about it. There might be some Rambo wanna bee's - but I don't think that regular GI's would waste their time picking on honest citizens.

I think that most honest people would be more concerned with staying alive and eating then being a part of a gang.
It would be a dis service to our armed forces to think that they would have such people in their ranks. We entrust our lives to those people on a daily basis and we don't ever think about it. There might be some Rambo wanna bee's - but I don't think that regular GI's would waste their time picking on honest citizens.
When people are hungry, they are capable of all sorts of things. I think there are some very good people in our military, but as with any group, there are good and bad. I think that if times get really bad, a lot of people that are normally decent, could be easily influenced to forget their morals/values.

I hear what you all are saying and I can see and understand everyone's view! I would like to offer this... we are ready and we have our group in the early part of SHTF, that is when we will be going out to near by peoples homes and seeing what they have to offer (everyone has something.. ie items/ skills) to come and join us!! We have then just made us stronger so by the time the gangs get to where we are we will be to big and strong for them! For the most part gangs will not be to big mainly because they will have killed each other over power and control. Strength in numbers and faster in redevelopment will make us a small town again!!

I hear what you all are saying and I can see and understand everyone's view! I would like to offer this... we are ready and we have our group in the early part of SHTF, that is when we will be going out to near by peoples homes and seeing what they have to offer (everyone has something.. ie items/ skills) to come and join us!! We have then just made us stronger so by the time the gangs get to where we are we will be to big and strong for them! For the most part gangs will not be to big mainly because they will have killed each other over power and control. Strength in numbers and faster in redevelopment will make us a small town again!!
I like that you're thinking of a group, you increase your security greatly. I wish there was a registry or something to help me find others around here.

Latest posts

Back