Public Transport

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not counting short commuter rides, I think the last long train ride I took in the states was on the original "City of New Orleans" on a trip to New Orleans from Jackson, Mississippi. I have been on trains overseas since, though.
Yeah, here in the south there just aren’t many train routes anymore. There are some but it’s really expensive compared to other ways of travel. Kind of sad. The few train trips I have taken were a cool way to travel.

I’m in the same boat here. Can’t get a pizza or a newspaper delivered either. Living in the country has its perks but modern conveniences isn’t one of them.
I offered our local pizza guy a $100 tip to deliver a pizza. He declined. The only place that he'll deliver to is the two bars in town.

Wow, I guess I'm middle of the road. We drive on vacation, visits, short trips and such. But, we will take the bus downtown to skip looking for a parking space. After 19:00 hours, it only costs €1 to ride. The bus stop is 150 meters away and the bus drives about every 30 min. Very early in the mornings, the stinky, smelly bunch who ride has been described to me...no thanks. I wear leather gloves anyway, all day, every day, when out of the house and when underway in the city and shopping. Still wash my hands as we walk back into the house after shopping. Haven't been sick for many years by avoiding touching the rest of the worlds doorknobs, telephones and handrails...GP

Things like that are that which gives you a bit of a mind-safe that you have less brought home germs to live with. 90 % of all germs are spread and picked up by touching something. If someone sneezes, you see it. If they touch something, you do not see that. Gotta wash up. I sprayed the steering wheel, door knob and the shift lever in my driving school cars after each student got out. Kept them and myself healthier, I hope.

hand sanitizer gel

lol,,,,I just can't buy into that crap about washing your hands all the time,,,,or wiping down a shopping cart before using it,,,,you think about it everything you buy everything you touched has been handled by countless other people,,,,,I wouldn't ever get anything done if I worried about who may have touched the next item I picked up

this concern about germs has really come about in I would say the last 10 years or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,if germs were the monsters they are made out to be we would have died out long ago,,,,,,,,,,so I don't worry about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,just wash your hands after going to the crapper and you will be fine

hands after going to the crapper and you will be fine
If we and you only knew how many did NOT wash their hands after going to the crapper, picking their nose, wiping their lips and changing the shitty diapers from their shitty childrens asses. I'll just wear my gloves and wash my hands, thank you.

If we and you only knew how many did NOT wash their hands after going to the crapper, picking their nose, wiping their lips and changing the shitty diapers from their shitty childrens asses. I'll just wear my gloves and wash my hands, thank you.
lol,,,,whatever makes you feel better is ok by me,,,,,,,,,,,I just don't feel the need,,,,

I do take precautions ,,,at work if a coworker is sick even just a cold I will not get into a confined space with them,,,if I have a cold I keep to myself and don't visit anyone,,,most anyone I would go see is older and most are not in good shape so I would never expose them to a bug I might have,,,,,,

death will get us all one day,,,I just chose not to live in fear of catching some bug,,,,most of the time it is just a cold anyways

I acknowledge the reality of germs being spread by surfaces (in the medical field, we call this "fomites"), the dangers are grossly exaggerated.

Intact human skin is, essentially, germ-proof.

What is important is not to constantly touch your face and mouth all the time, as diseases gain entry via mucous membranes, the eyes, and/or the GI tract.

People with obsessive-compulsive disorders who constantly wash their hands are at a higher risk of infection, as the skin gets broken, cracked, and damaged under these circumstances.

There was a brilliant (and famous) psychotherapist named B.F. Skinner, who--essentially--raised his daughter in a germ-free environmemt, and it royally screwed up her immune system because she wasn't exposed to the same bugs that every other kid is exposed to. This made her very sickly, ill, and weak for most of her adult life because her immune system was underdeveloped.

While I wouldn't want to play in a sewer, a certian amount of exposure to everday germs is actually good for us.

There is even a school of thought that exposure to certain bacteria and viruses helps prevent cancer. The jury is still out on this claim, but the arguments and evidence are pretty convincing.

Latest posts

Back