Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomatoes mainly, but I also read it was good for viruses. I'm just trying to find new tricks of the trade. As you know living in LA (not sure how close to the coast you were) at one time, rain, heat and humidity are breeding grounds for all kinds of things so trying to stay ahead of the game. One trick I found was dipping Q-Tips in vinegar and placing them dip side up around squash type plants will repel squash bugs. Only down side is you have to redo every so often. Another was when I was milking Bestey Lou and had gallons of extra milk I could use as a fertilizer and also helped with powdery mildew.

For Blight in tomatoes it is more than likely fusarium or verticillium wilt. Verticillium wilt is soil born and when it rains the soil splashes up on the lower leaves which carry the spores that cause the disease. Next thing yellow blotches, brown veins and then dead spots on the plant progressing upward from the lower limbs. Eventually stunting the plant and fruit. The best I have found is to keep your garden clean. Mulch your plants heavily to prevent the soil from splashing during rain. Leave plenty of space between the plants to prevent spreading and a spray of milk and water also helps tomatoes as well.

Fusarium is, by far, the most common wilt disease. Symptoms include yellowing and browning of foliage stunting and wilting with some recovery at night.

The first symptoms appear when fruit begins to mature. Lower leaves turn yellow, sometimes on one side of the plant or one side of a branch. This is followed by leaf and stem wilting. When an infected stem is scraped or split lengthwise you will see browning of the vascular tissue (the tissue closest to the "skin"). The pith (tissue in the middle of the stem) remains healthy. It is the clogging of the vascular tubes (that carry food and water in the plant) that produces the wilting and yellowing. Verticillium proceeds more slowly and the symptoms are more uniform through the plant.

The same tips apply to Fusarium as well.

Bacterial wilt of tomato is a top-down wilt as opposed to fusarium and verticillium where symptoms begin at the bottom of the plant.

These wilt diseases are all soil borne and can persist for many years in the soil even if no host plants are grown. They can also be brought into a garden on infected transplants or soil. Fusarium wilt does not spread above the ground from plant to plant. Each plant is individually infected when the organism enters the root system.

There is no cure for this disease. Plants must be removed and destroyed. When planting, avoid all wet spots and build raised beds if drainage is less than ideal. Some say that Neem Oil helps.

For squash bugs I interplant dill. It attracts beneficial insects and the squash bugs don't seem to like it probably the smell. I also get a roll of tape and every time I see squash bug eggs I place tape over them and then yank it off the eggs are stuck to the tape. Then just dispose of the tape. I also don't plant all my squash in one spot. That way the squash bugs have to work harder to find them.

I had never heard of the qtips and vingar. I have heard of using flour.

Last edited:
Diva you are lucky on the Plateau, we go from winter to a 2 week Spring then HOT. My winter crops bolt within a week or two.

My best friend lives outside of Knoxville and her garden burns up it seems like every year. Hot and dry. Here on top it is cool which we are thankful for but sometimes have problems with heat loving crops. We do like the weather here though which is what initially attracted us.

I started off the day with intentions of planting some more and weeding. I laid out some seeds to fill in a couple thin spots and the onion patch and that’s as far as I got. We got three emergency calls early on and I just got home at 9pm. Hopefully tomorrow will go better around here...

I laid down for bed and slept for 2 1/2 hrs. Woke up to a water covered yard. . . Almost 5" of rain in an hour. It soaked in or ran off rather quickly though. And more is on its way.

That was a lot for such a short period. Do you have sandy soil? I have lots of clay so it would be mush for days.

That was a lot for such a short period. Do you have sandy soil? I have lots of clay so it would be mush for days.
We have been relatively dry lately here. We have the clay here, but drainage is pretty good. Hunny has ditched dug throughout the property And we have mini culverts that go under the road so that helps out to drain the pastures.

Wonder if there will be a shortage of canning supplies this year? More people are growing veggies.
I’ve seen loads of jars for sale in my grocery runs. I really haven’t looked for any of the other supplies. You’re likely right though and if you need anything get it now before most gardens are producing.

My son worked the wheelbarrow for me and we added some worm castings out of Hubby's worm bed into the garden soil. Great stuff! Worm castings and rotted horse manure are regular yearly additions to my soil. He takes part of the soil out and picks out the fishing worms and replaces it with leaves and shredded newspaper bedding and replaces the worms. Planted Jade green beans, zucchini and another box of romaine lettuce. Jericho romaine is a great variety from Israel I think. Open pollinated and very heat tolerant. Slow to bolt. I have been growing for about 6 years and save seeds from it. Still have to finish the red bean patch. Stay safe out there!

I’ve seen loads of jars for sale in my grocery runs. I really haven’t looked for any of the other supplies. You’re likely right though and if you need anything get it now before most gardens are producing.

I try to keep about 600 lids all the time. I have all the jars I will ever need and even gave some away to my daughter. Vacuum bags are another good thing to stockpile both clear and mylar along with oxygen absorbers.

After the last of the rain yesterday I went out to check the garden. Pepper plants were really not happy looking and had 13 tomatoes that were water wilted. . . When I checked this morning, everything has recovered except two tomato plants. Those are a new kind I was trying called Parker's Whoppers. We are supposed to stay dry for the next few days so I am hopeful.

Opened the pool yesterday so I moved 27 containers to the deck this morning and planted tomatoes in them.. then planted peppers and tomatoes in the real garden.

I have a beautiful mock orange tree and small, brown caterpillar or worms have devoured it in 3 days. I shook it as hard as I could and about 500 or so fell off. Some on top of my head.

I thought the chickens would love them, but they wouldn't eat them.

The leave are gone for this year. I can't spray m poison because of bees and chickens.

20200517_163611-1.jpg
20200517_163611-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back