Food prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t laugh too much, we may all have to eat coon and possum one day! I just had a friend in China tell me they were visiting soon. She said she would bring me some Chinese delicacies, turtle, snake and bugs. I’m still not completely sure if she was joking or not....
We have got that here, deep fried snake bites, turtle soup and mud bugs....

My wife (who is Chinese) tells me: "Chinese eat everything that flies except an airplane, and everything with four legs except a chair."

I don't know what all I've eaten in Taiwan. Whenever I would ask her "What is this?" she would say "Don't ask, Just EAT IT." There were some times I had suspicions about what I was eating, and believe me...I DID NOT REALLY WANT TO KNOW FOR SURE! LOL

I eat the flavored crickets at the theme parks. Mostly started just to freak out my kids.... But really, they aren't too bad. Wife won't kiss me until after I've brushed after those though, lol......

I should mention, coons have glands in their elbows ,armpitts , neck ,and inside their thighs and behind their knees. If you try to cook them without removing them, well ....ill just say you are really hungry. The smell would run everyone out of the house if you dont. But ,their great baked and with alot of peppers and barbeque seasoning.

BAck to food prepping, I have to replace my vac sealer. One seals the bag and a different one will only vac a jar. I will check online reviews. Bought 22 cans of coffee, where 1/2 price and they aren't in metal cans. They are in paper cans. Bummer. Think I will reseal in jars.

I work with a lot of folks from India. We often have some Indian buffets, and I really have no idea what I'm eating half the time....
I will eat nearly anything but Kiwi. I don't care what it is as long as it is somewhat edible. Someone was asking me about the dehydrated butter. Well it is sort of like what one would expect. Reconstituted butter. But it is edible.

BAck to food prepping, I have to replace my vac sealer. One seals the bag and a different one will only vac a jar. I will check online reviews. Bought 22 cans of coffee, where 1/2 price and they aren't in metal cans. They are in paper cans. Bummer. Think I will reseal in jars.

When I replaced mine, the best price (Also had the most accessories) was at the QVC web site.

Food saver mode #FM2876-035
It came with port hose, canisters, jar sealer (reg) marinating canister. I can't remember anything else. I had ruined one by sealing wet meat. I learned to always flash freeze before sealing.

I really like this model

Alrighty now. I have decided to post this here because I am not sure where else to put it. I have purchased a multitude of coffee and noticed that the coffee can is no longer a metal can but a paper container with a foil liner. Should I store these as is? It is already ground if that makes a difference (the reason I bought is because is was a real deal).

Alrighty now. I have decided to post this here because I am not sure where else to put it. I have purchased a multitude of coffee and noticed that the coffee can is no longer a metal can but a paper container with a foil liner. Should I store these as is? It is already ground if that makes a difference (the reason I bought is because is was a real deal).

My 2 cents: I buy in bulk as well, and either keep it in the bag it came in or vacuum seal it. What I have read says to keep it dry and away from oxygen and stored in a dark place to preserve the flavor.

My 2 cents: I buy in bulk as well, and either keep it in the bag it came in or vacuum seal it. What I have read says to keep it dry and away from oxygen and stored in a dark place to preserve the flavor.
They didn't come in a bag they came in a foil lined paper container. If were in a metal can I'd leave them in there, perhaps I should vac seal in glass jars. What do you think?

They didn't come in a bag they came in a foil lined paper container. If were in a metal can I'd leave them in there, perhaps I should vac seal in glass jars. What do you think?

And maybe pitch in an oxygen absorber with it... I’d agree with that.

I also have some stored in Mylar with an O2 absorber.

Seems as fresh as when new, to my elderly taste buds anyway, lol.

I buy the cans with the paper foil too & I just leave them sealed as is. They used to be in the metal and I so miss those cause I used those for storage of dried beans and shelters for my plants in the garden, but I guess they were looking for a cheaper alternative. The longest I have kept the paper foil cans is 9 months. . . . I tend to go thru a couple of the big cans a month so it goes pretty quickly around here.

From what I’ve read coffee has oils in it that will go bad before too long no matter how it’s sealed. Proper storage will make it last longer, like cool and dark, but it isn’t a long term storage product to begin with.

Latest posts

Back